Corsair Community

Dominator Platinum 2400 CAS9 = Major Problems!

Baasha

I recently built a new rig with the specs below:

CPU: i7 3930K @ 4.5Ghz @ 1.328V

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 w/ 2x Scythe Ultra Kaze @ 3000RPM

MoBo: ASRock X79 Extreme11

RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400MHz 9-11-11-31 16GB

GPU: 4x EVGA GTX-680 Classified (4GB) 4-Way SLI

Games/Programs: 8x ******** 4 128GB RAID-0

Storage: Samsung 1TB SpinPoint F3 + 2x ******** Caviar Black 2TB RAID-0

Case: Cooler Master Cosmos II

PSU: ######## HCP-1200

Monitors: 3x Dell U3011 @ 5160x2560

I have been getting BSODs, hangs, freezes, and lockups during gaming on a daily basis after a FRESH INSTALL of the OS! :mad:

The Bugcheck codes ranged from 0x3B to 0x124 to 0x101. I have patiently troubleshooted the various components in my system and narrowed it down to the RAM.

The CPU OC is rock solid and the GPUs are not OC'd at all. The SSDs are perfectly fine and so is the PSU (using Kill-A-Watt max usage was ~ 1150W at full load).

The problems I have started soon after I installed the OS and some programs/games. One of the most glaring things that I brushed aside at first was that 5 out of 10 times I turn the computer on, Windows doesn't even load; it keeps loading "Repair Your Computer" and then I have to exit that and click "Start Windows Normally". I am not sure why this is happening but I have a feeling this is due to the RAM not working properly.

I was running the RAM at its rated speed of 2400Mhz @ 9-11-11-31 @ 1.65V. I dropped the RAM down to 2133Mhz at the same 9-11-11-31 @ 1.65V but I got lockups in BF3 with Bugcheck 0x101 four (4) different times. The 0x101 code says "Clock Interrupt" which usually refers to corrupted RAM(?) or a bad processor.

The only thing I have left to try is to put it at "Auto" which runs the RAM at 1333Mhz and see if the system is stable. What else can I do to test the RAM to rule that out? I ran MemTest86+ and the test froze about 20 minutes into it saying "Stack Overflow":

attachment.php?attachmentid=11383&stc=1&d=1348613413

Please help!

1024595777_ScreenShot.PNG.2fe85d47eaf7448fe9f1024d7ae2fa6e.PNG

Please check in the BIOS and see what it is setting the timings to and what Command Rate is set to.

Or if the system is stable run CPU-Z and check under the memory tab to see what its actually running at.

When running it at 2400Mhz, in CPU-Z it shows:

1200.1 MHz 9-11-11-31 2T

At "Auto" or 1333Mhz, in CPU-Z it shows:

666.7 MHz 9-9-9-24 1T

In the BIOS, I had it manually set to DDR3-2400 and 9-11-11-31. I think the Command Rate was on 'Auto" (2T) as I didn't change anything else in the DRAM settings.

What's interesting is that the XMP Profile shows DDR3-2400 but 9-12-12-31 and not the specific reading of 9-11-11-31 that's written on the sticker on the RAM itself!

Anyway, I have the RAM now on "Auto" or 1333Mhz. I'm going to see if it's stable.

Anything else I should try? Should I run Memtest86+ (v4.20) for 6-7 passes with the RAM @ 2400Mhz (9-11-11-31 @ 1.65V and 2T)?

Hi Baasha

A lot ove ting could give a unstable system

Firt did you update bios to 1.30?

As it improve compatibility and stability ove system

Asrock Intel® Rapid Storage driver is not uptodate and could result in unstable system. Go intel web site to download lates driver 3.5.0.1101

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=3454&DwnldID=21754&ProductFamily=Desktop+Boards&ProductLine=Intel%c2%ae+7+Series+Chipset+Boards&ProductProduct=Intel%c2%ae+Desktop+Board+DX79SR&lang=eng

Try XMP profile with no OC ove CPU, run last version ove memtest minimum 5 time

If you still have problem try with only 1 VGA card. Mabye it SLI that make system unstable. About your PSU you should buy a 1500 watts with your quadruple SLI a 1200w with a 1150w consomation is a litle sort!!!

Finally your system should run memory at 1600MHZ with no problem. As your CPU is i7 3930k as a DDR3-1066/1333/1600 architecture. So if you add 6 ram modual on your Asus P6T7 WS SuperComputer, you could use 4 ove those to test at 1600MHz. If it stable with your 1600MHz memory and not with your 2400MHz set at 1600MHz, then you could tink that you have memory compatibility issue and sould be fix with next bios update. As Dominator Platinum 2400 CAS9 is new produc bios have to be optimise. If XMP Profile shows DDR3-2400 but 9-12-12-31, then you can be sure that bios have a compatibility issue and you have to wait intil next bios update to se if it fixt issue. If your X58 chipset could andle 2400MHz memory as my DX58SO2 you could test memory on it. But Asus P6T7 WS SuperComputer don't seem to andle more then 2000MHz memory.

Hope this help

Sincerly yours

• Corsair Employee
Hi Baasha

Asrock Intel® Rapid Storage driver is not uptodate and could result in unstable system. Go intel web site to download lates driver 3.5.0.1101

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=3454&DwnldID=21754&ProductFamily=Desktop+Boards&ProductLine=Intel%c2%ae+7+Series+Chipset+Boards&ProductProduct=Intel%c2%ae+Desktop+Board+DX79SR&lang=eng

If you still have problem try with only 1 VGA card. Mabye it SLI that make system unstable. About your PSU you should buy a 1500 watts with your quadruple SLI a 1200w with a 1150w consomation is a litle sort!!!

Finally your system should run memory at 1600MHZ with no problem. As your CPU is i7 3930k as a DDR3-1066/1333/1600 architecture. So if you add 6 ram modual on your Asus P6T7 WS SuperComputer, you could use 4 ove those to test at 1600MHz. If it stable with your 1600MHz memory and not with your 2400MHz set at 1600MHz, then you could tink that you have memory compatibility issue and sould be fix with next bios update. As Dominator Platinum 2400 CAS9 is new produc bios have to be optimise. If XMP Profile shows DDR3-2400 but 9-12-12-31, then you can be sure that bios have a compatibility issue and you have to wait intil next bios update to se if it fixt issue. If your X58 chipset could andle 2400MHz memory as my DX58SO2 you could test memory on it. But Asus P6T7 WS SuperComputer don't seem to andle more then 2000MHz memory.

Hope this help

Sincerly yours

Most Sandy Bridge-E processors will have a hard time getting above 2133mhz. While it does have higher headroom than Dual channel Sandy Bridge, it doesn't have the same headroom as Ivy Bridge so running it at 2400mhz is going to give you mixed results. Test the modules first at 1333mhz to ensure they have no errors and then if they pass, then try 2400, and then go down to 2133, 1866, and so on until you get it stable.

Hi Turbonerfs101e,

Thanks for the detailed response. Hopefully you (and others) can help me get my system working 100% again.

So for the past two days, I tried the RAM on "Auto" @ 1333Mhz.

The BSODs were almost completely gone. Almost, because just today, I had 2 BSODs; one was 0xA (IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL) and another was 0x101 (Clock Interrupt). The CPU was OC'd to 4.5Ghz and the RAM was on Auto.

I didn't even realize ASRock released a new BIOS. I downloaded it and flashed it right away to 1.30.

Regarding the IntelRST driver, my "old" version showed 3.5.0.1092. This new one says 3.5.0.1101 but even after "updating" it, it still shows 3.5.0.1092. The other weird thing is that when I first installed the chipset drivers, the version it shows (for C600/X79 series chipset PCI Express Root Port xx) 9.2.3.1016. I thought there was a later one but it keeps saying this is the "latest" driver(?). Is that the latest chipset driver for the Extreme11?

Anyway, a couple of other things I should mention is that in the BIOS, I have the Northbridge settings to be Gen 3. If I turn it to default (Gen 2), Windows doesn't boot! I always had it on Gen 3 from day 1.

The other thing is that since I am using an optical cable for my sound system, I have disabled ALL High Definition Audio Controllers in Device Manager (4 of them since I have 4 GPUs). I'm not sure if there could be an issue with that(?).

Otherwise, the last 2 days were MUCH better than before when I had the RAM at 2400MHz or 2133MHz. On Auto (1333Mhz), I still got those 2 BSODs though so I'm not sure what that means.

I will test the RAM @ 2400 9-11-11-31 @ 1.65V tomorrow using MemTest86+. I will run at least 6 - 8 passes to see what happens.

What else should/can I try?

Thanks again for your help. I really want to ENJOY my system but these freaking crashes etc. are really becoming tiresome.

Baasha

Hi Baasha

Hope this help

Sincerly yours

Most Sandy Bridge-E processors will have a hard time getting above 2133mhz. While it does have higher headroom than Dual channel Sandy Bridge, it doesn't have the same headroom as Ivy Bridge so running it at 2400mhz is going to give you mixed results. Test the modules first at 1333mhz to ensure they have no errors and then if they pass, then try 2400, and then go down to 2133, 1866, and so on until you get it stable.

I just flashed the BIOS and everything is at default now. I did set the RAM to the XMP profile (2400Mhz 9-11-11-31 @ 1.65V) because I want to test it at that setting. Do you think I should start there or is it better to start at "Auto" 1333Mhz?

RAM Guy might not be back until Monday, so I will give my honest opinion today. It is always best with a new set of RAM sticks to test each of them individually right at the start. Yes, test them at the SPD default is recommended. If all is well, nothing should be hurt to try X.M.P. & see what happens. If it fails, try setting them up manually. I presume you may have to manually change the Command Rate to 2 rather than if it sets CR 1. If still no luck, it is most likely the CPU IMC just can't handle it. Maybe 10 11 11 31, CR 2 will work @ 2400 on 1.65v's? OC'ing often comes down to a lot of tweaking, trial & error, & a lot of patience. 2400 fails to be stable no matter what is tried, then work on 2133 or 1866. :):

RAM Guy might not be back until Monday, so I will give my honest opinion today. It is always best with a new set of RAM sticks to test each of them individually right at the start. Yes, test them at the SPD default is recommended. If all is well, nothing should be hurt to try X.M.P. & see what happens. If it fails, try setting them up manually. I presume you may have to manually change the Command Rate to 2 rather than if it sets CR 1. If still no luck, it is most likely the CPU IMC just can't handle it. Maybe 10 11 11 31, CR 2 will work @ 2400 on 1.65v's? OC'ing often comes down to a lot of tweaking, trial & error, & a lot of patience. 2400 fails to be stable no matter what is tried, then work on 2133 or 1866. :):

I will give that a shot see what happens. I had two BSODs yesterday 0xA and 0x101 with the RAM on "Auto" @ 1333Mhz 9-9-9-24. So I'm not hopeful for 2400Mhz working properly. On that note, my old Corsair Dominator 1600Mhz RAM (12GB kit) was rated for 1.65V but the BIOS on my X58 system (ASUS P6T7 WS SuperComputer) only allowed even numbered settings; I had to use 1.66V which was recommended by everyone on that platform. The question is, would it be safe for me to try 2400Mhz @ 9-11-11-31 @ 1.66V? Perhaps 1.65V is not enough? Or the IMC is indeed being stressed too much. If I switched to a different RAM kit, say 32GB 1866Mhz or 1600Mhz, would that work or would having all 8 DIMM slots populated be cause for more trouble and instability?

With that CPU i would be a little conservative with the voltage. Go 1.64v to keep it just under max. If it's not going to be stable at that voltage 1.66 isn't going to make a difference.

Asking 2400mhz out of CPU that does 16oomhz officially is really asking alot from your CPU.

But since you are still getting errors at 1333mhz i would try replacing the modules . But if you have the same problem with another set i would look at maybe getting your MB replaced.

If I switched to a different RAM kit, say 32GB 1866Mhz or 1600Mhz, would that work or would having all 8 DIMM slots populated be cause for more trouble and instability?

Why switch, you can run your current kit at those speeds just as easily. Although you need to figure out where the issue is first.

I can't find any confirmation that you have tested the modules individually yet. Have you? what were the results at both speeds?

STOP: 101 with X58 platform was always QPI related, with X79, some say CPU and/or RAM V. related. Sometimes, the actual BIOS setting is not as accurate as we would like. I use a digital multimeter to be sure of the actual voltage being delivered. 1.66v setting in the BIOS may be perfectly safe as it may only being delivering 1.65v or maybe even less. I have seen as much as a 0.014v drop at the DMM checkpoint. On two X79's yesterday, I tested a Corsair 4X8GB 32GB 2133 Dom. Platinum kit. They worked at 2133 with settings of Command Rate 2, 9 11 11 31, tRFC 278 @ 1.65v's. Actual DMM V. reading was 1.645v's. Yes, filling all 8 DIMM's will definately add more stress to the CPU IMC. I am not really sure the CPU IMC of the Sandy-E's are as healthy & strong as the Ivy CPU's are. Of course they only run Dual Channel.

Added: Wanted to also mention that SA V. had to be set to 0.965v's, and the I/O V. set to 1.07v's manually in addition to the RAM setting tweaks. On my X79's, the SA was an accurate setting as checked by DMM. The I/O higher BIOS setting gave me the perfect 1.056v's I was looking for.

2nd add: Yes, no need to exchange your RAM kit if all of them check out ok individually. They can be tried at those other settings of 2133 or 1866 before giving up on them. As mentioned, the RAM may be perfectly fine. Always likely the CPU IMC is not up to the task. Won't rule out the possibility that a new BIOS revision from the mainboard manufacturer may be needed for better compatibilty. Seen that to be the situation a time or two as well. ;):

Hi Turbonerfs101e,

Thanks for the detailed response. Hopefully you (and others) can help me get my system working 100% again.

So for the past two days, I tried the RAM on "Auto" @ 1333Mhz.

The BSODs were almost completely gone. Almost, because just today, I had 2 BSODs; one was 0xA (IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL) and another was 0x101 (Clock Interrupt). The CPU was OC'd to 4.5Ghz and the RAM was on Auto.

I didn't even realize ASRock released a new BIOS. I downloaded it and flashed it right away to 1.30.

Regarding the IntelRST driver, my "old" version showed 3.5.0.1092. This new one says 3.5.0.1101 but even after "updating" it, it still shows 3.5.0.1092. The other weird thing is that when I first installed the chipset drivers, the version it shows (for C600/X79 series chipset PCI Express Root Port xx) 9.2.3.1016. I thought there was a later one but it keeps saying this is the "latest" driver(?). Is that the latest chipset driver for the Extreme11?

Anyway, a couple of other things I should mention is that in the BIOS, I have the Northbridge settings to be Gen 3. If I turn it to default (Gen 2), Windows doesn't boot! I always had it on Gen 3 from day 1.

The other thing is that since I am using an optical cable for my sound system, I have disabled ALL High Definition Audio Controllers in Device Manager (4 of them since I have 4 GPUs). I'm not sure if there could be an issue with that(?).

Otherwise, the last 2 days were MUCH better than before when I had the RAM at 2400MHz or 2133MHz. On Auto (1333Mhz), I still got those 2 BSODs though so I'm not sure what that means.

I will test the RAM @ 2400 9-11-11-31 @ 1.65V tomorrow using MemTest86+. I will run at least 6 - 8 passes to see what happens.

What else should/can I try?

Thanks again for your help. I really want to ENJOY my system but these freaking crashes etc. are really becoming tiresome.

Baasha

About Raid driver, some time you have to completly uninstall old driver befor intall new one, as windows often said the the best driver is all ready intall and it not tru as 3.5.0.1101 is the last raid driver version maid by Intel. I have see BSOD wan using Force GT ssd 5.02 firmware wend all my pcie was fill. Din't have any BSOD with

Firmware 5.03

And don't forget abouth your quad sli, it could give thos BSOD to

Even INF drive is not up to date on Asus 9.2.3.1020 as Intel offer 9.2.3.1023

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=20462&ProdId=3335&lang=eng&OSVersion=%0A&DownloadType=

Yes, filling all 8 DIMM's will definately add more stress to the CPU

To get best chance to make it worck keap CPU stock and memory XMP profile

With new bios i hope it resolve XMP profile stetting

After that check if ssd is up to date v.5.03

Then if it still bugy, run with only 1 VGA card to test if it the sli that causing instability.

Please use memtest86 v.4.20, its miss a lot ove information with 4.00

hope this help

Sincerly yours

With that CPU i would be a little conservative with the voltage. Go 1.64v to keep it just under max. If it's not going to be stable at that voltage 1.66 isn't going to make a difference.

Asking 2400mhz out of CPU that does 16oomhz officially is really asking alot from your CPU.

But since you are still getting errors at 1333mhz i would try replacing the modules . But if you have the same problem with another set i would look at maybe getting your MB replaced.

Why switch, you can run your current kit at those speeds just as easily. Although you need to figure out where the issue is first.

I can't find any confirmation that you have tested the modules individually yet. Have you? what were the results at both speeds?

I tried running the RAM @ 2400Mhz again after the BIOS update (1.30) but it still crashed with 0x1000007E bugcheck. BF3 crashed three different times to desktop.

I set the RAM to 1600Mhz and put all the other settings (for RAM) on "Auto" and things have been VERY stable! I rendered a 2GB video, played BF3 for several hours straight with the GPUs OC'd to 1300Mhz and it was absolutely smooth!

The reason I want to return/exchange the RAM is that I paid $320 for this 16GB kit that's SUPPOSED to run at 2400Mhz. If I'm going to run it at 1600Mhz or 1866Mhz or whatever, I can get those kits for half the price and still be good. There's no way I'm paying $300+ for a 1600Mhz RAM kit.

STOP: 101 with X58 platform was always QPI related, with X79, some say CPU and/or RAM V. related. Sometimes, the actual BIOS setting is not as accurate as we would like. I use a digital multimeter to be sure of the actual voltage being delivered. 1.66v setting in the BIOS may be perfectly safe as it may only being delivering 1.65v or maybe even less. I have seen as much as a 0.014v drop at the DMM checkpoint. On two X79's yesterday, I tested a Corsair 4X8GB 32GB 2133 Dom. Platinum kit. They worked at 2133 with settings of Command Rate 2, 9 11 11 31, tRFC 278 @ 1.65v's. Actual DMM V. reading was 1.645v's. Yes, filling all 8 DIMM's will definately add more stress to the CPU IMC. I am not really sure the CPU IMC of the Sandy-E's are as healthy & strong as the Ivy CPU's are. Of course they only run Dual Channel.

Added: Wanted to also mention that SA V. had to be set to 0.965v's, and the I/O V. set to 1.07v's manually in addition to the RAM setting tweaks. On my X79's, the SA was an accurate setting as checked by DMM. The I/O higher BIOS setting gave me the perfect 1.056v's I was looking for.

2nd add: Yes, no need to exchange your RAM kit if all of them check out ok individually. They can be tried at those other settings of 2133 or 1866 before giving up on them. As mentioned, the RAM may be perfectly fine. Always likely the CPU IMC is not up to the task. Won't rule out the possibility that a new BIOS revision from the mainboard manufacturer may be needed for better compatibilty. Seen that to be the situation a time or two as well. ;):

Thanks for that info but I'm not sure what "SA V" and "I/O V" are. Are those voltages related to the DRAM settings? Where can I set them in the BIOS?

I still haven't run MemTest86+ v4.20. I will do that in the next day or two.

Okay, how do I exactly "completely" remove the old driver for the IntelRST? If I use some program, like Your Uninstaller that removes registry entries etc., would that cause problems? Or should I go into the Control Panel and just remove IntelRST and install this new version?

Also, I had NO idea that Corsair updated the firmware to 5.03! I still have 5.02 on my SSDs. I just saw that thanks to you so I have to update that as well. The problem is that my OS is on the 2 ForceGT SSDs. They are in RAID-0 so how do I use the update tool if I put them in AHCI mode and can't boot into Windows? HELP!

I first set the RAM to 2400Mhz and tested the CPU at stock settings. I got a BSOD in Photoshop with code 0x1000007E. BF3 crashed about three times to the desktop saying "there was an error" so I don't know what caused it.

I set the RAM to 1600Mhz, OC'd my CPU back to 4.5GHz and OC'd my GPUs to 1300Mhz and everything works beautifully! :D I was able to play BF3 for several hours without issue. I played F1 2012 and some other games without issue either.

Should I try 1866Mhz? I will also test the RAM using MemTest v4.20. I would really like to get the 32GB kit either 1866Mhz or 2133Mhz. However, I don't think the CPU IMC will be able to handle that given the rest of the hardware I have on the system.

Thanks again for your help and I will update you (and the others) on how the RAM is checking out.

About Raid driver, some time you have to completly uninstall old driver befor intall new one, as windows often said the the best driver is all ready intall and it not tru as 3.5.0.1101 is the last raid driver version maid by Intel. I have see BSOD wan using Force GT ssd 5.02 firmware wend all my pcie was fill. Din't have any BSOD with

Firmware 5.03

For the INF driver, (I have ASRock on my main rig btw, NOT Asus) how do I update it? Do I have to uninstall the old one? There are MANY "system devices" in the Device Manager that use the INF driver (9.2.3.1016 is what I have now) so do I have to uninstall each one and then install the new one? Or could I just install this over the old version?

And don't forget abouth your quad sli, it could give thos BSOD to

Even INF drive is not up to date on Asus 9.2.3.1020 as Intel offer 9.2.3.1023

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=20462&ProdId=3335&lang=eng&OSVersion=%0A&DownloadType=

Yes, filling all 8 DIMM's will definately add more stress to the CPU

To get best chance to make it worck keap CPU stock and memory XMP profile

With new bios i hope it resolve XMP profile stetting

After that check if ssd is up to date v.5.03

Then if it still bugy, run with only 1 VGA card to test if it the sli that causing instability.

Please use memtest86 v.4.20, its miss a lot ove information with 4.00

hope this help

Sincerly yours

retest with the latest memtest and run at 2t. 1t is just too tight especially with so many sticks.

let us know.

Okay I will test it in the next day or two. Right now, it's running at 1600Mhz @ 9-11-11-31 @ 1T. Everything except the RAM speed (1600Mhz) is on "Auto" in the BIOS.

Thanks for that info but I'm not sure what "SA V" and "I/O V" are. Are those voltages related to the DRAM settings? Where can I set them in the BIOS?

Those should be in the same BIOS Section with the CPU V. & DRAM V. settings. The Intel datasheet for your CPU goes into excellent detail what those are.

0x1000007E

Whenever I get that BSOD error code, STOP:0x1000007E, it has been the CPU V. needing an increase a step or two. If it BSOD's with that one & the CPU was restored to stock, then I would start looking at raising the SA & I/O voltages. Yes, basically, they are tied in with the CPU/RAM relationship equation. Although rare, the BIOS may not be setting a high enough CPU V. by default when the system is stressed. Raising the CPU PLL may help.

As a side note, these Corsair kits, when they were tested, worked at their rated speeds flawlessly on two X79's, CMP32GX3M4X1600C10, CMZ32GX3M4X1866C10, & CMD32GX3M4A2133C9. PSU used is a Corsair AX1200. VGA's used were not set for Tri-SLI though, two GTX680's in SLI. In the next day or so, I have a 4X4GB Platinum 2666 kit arriving. Right after testing them in a Z77/Ivy platform, I will try to see if either CPU IMC 3930k C2, or 3960X C1 can run RAM at 2400. I honestly don't believe the IMC can handle it. With some timing & voltage tweaking, a big 'maybe'.

• Corsair Employee
Okay, how do I exactly "completely" remove the old driver for the IntelRST? If I use some program, like Your Uninstaller that removes registry entries etc., would that cause problems? Or should I go into the Control Panel and just remove IntelRST and install this new version?

Also, I had NO idea that Corsair updated the firmware to 5.03! I still have 5.02 on my SSDs. I just saw that thanks to you so I have to update that as well. The problem is that my OS is on the 2 ForceGT SSDs. They are in RAID-0 so how do I use the update tool if I put them in AHCI mode and can't boot into Windows? HELP!

I first set the RAM to 2400Mhz and tested the CPU at stock settings. I got a BSOD in Photoshop with code 0x1000007E. BF3 crashed about three times to the desktop saying "there was an error" so I don't know what caused it.

I set the RAM to 1600Mhz, OC'd my CPU back to 4.5GHz and OC'd my GPUs to 1300Mhz and everything works beautifully! :D I was able to play BF3 for several hours without issue. I played F1 2012 and some other games without issue either.

Should I try 1866Mhz? I will also test the RAM using MemTest v4.20. I would really like to get the 32GB kit either 1866Mhz or 2133Mhz. However, I don't think the CPU IMC will be able to handle that given the rest of the hardware I have on the system.

Thanks again for your help and I will update you (and the others) on how the RAM is checking out.

To update your RAID-0 SSDs, you have to update them one drive at a time as a secondary drive. Our firmware update doesn't delete the information on the drive so after you update the drive each individually, you can set them back as an array again. However, remember you back up your information anyways as a precaution.

Those should be in the same BIOS Section with the CPU V. & DRAM V. settings. The Intel datasheet for your CPU goes into excellent detail what those are.

Whenever I get that BSOD error code, STOP:0x1000007E, it has been the CPU V. needing an increase a step or two. If it BSOD's with that one & the CPU was restored to stock, then I would start looking at raising the SA & I/O voltages. Yes, basically, they are tied in with the CPU/RAM relationship equation. Although rare, the BIOS may not be setting a high enough CPU V. by default when the system is stressed. Raising the CPU PLL may help.

As a side note, these Corsair kits, when they were tested, worked at their rated speeds flawlessly on two X79's, CMP32GX3M4X1600C10, CMZ32GX3M4X1866C10, & CMD32GX3M4A2133C9. PSU used is a Corsair AX1200. VGA's used were not set for Tri-SLI though, two GTX680's in SLI. In the next day or so, I have a 4X4GB Platinum 2666 kit arriving. Right after testing them in a Z77/Ivy platform, I will try to see if either CPU IMC 3930k C2, or 3960X C1 can run RAM at 2400. I honestly don't believe the IMC can handle it. With some timing & voltage tweaking, a big 'maybe'.

I forgot to mention that that BSOD occurred when the CPU was also OC'd to 4.5Ghz.

Perhaps you could help me with fine-tuning my CPU OC. Right now, I have the 3930K C2 and the settings in the BIOS are as follows:

Multiplier: 45

Power Control Limit: 300

Internal PLL Voltage: Disabled

V-Core: 1.360V "Fixed"

VCSSA: 1.110V "Fixed"

VTT: 1.086V

LLC: Level 2

DRAM Channel A/B: Auto (1.65V)

DRAM Channel C/D: Auto (1.65V)

What are the settings I can tweak to make the CPU OC better and the RAM stable? With LLC at Level 2, CPU-Z shows 1.328V at 100% load but the CPU gets to 83C in Prime95 on the hottest core. I'm not sure I can increase V-Core too much more due to heat(?). I originally wanted to get 4.8Ghz since I have the H100 with 2x 3000RPM fans but I'm not sure what settings I need for that.

Perhaps there are settings that I can adjust to get the RAM to be stable at 2400Mhz?

Also, I would really like to get the 2133Mhz 32GB Platinum kit. Do you think I can pull that off with 4-Way SLI and 8x SSDs in RAID-0 (using the LSI controller and the board has 2x PLX chips)?

Please help.

To update your RAID-0 SSDs, you have to update them one drive at a time as a secondary drive. Our firmware update doesn't delete the information on the drive so after you update the drive each individually, you can set them back as an array again. However, remember you back up your information anyways as a precaution.

Okay but how do I run the Firmware Update utility if I can't boot into Windows? Is there a Command Prompt method or do I use Parted Magic etc.?

Perhaps you could help me with fine-tuning my CPU OC. Right now, I have the 3930K C2 and the settings in the BIOS are as follows:

Multiplier: 45

Power Control Limit: 300

Internal PLL Voltage: Disabled

V-Core: 1.360V "Fixed"

VCSSA: 1.110V "Fixed"

VTT: 1.086V

LLC: Level 2

DRAM Channel A/B: Auto (1.65V)

DRAM Channel C/D: Auto (1.65V)

What are the settings I can tweak to make the CPU OC better and the RAM stable? With LLC at Level 2, CPU-Z shows 1.328V at 100% load but the CPU gets to 83C in Prime95 on the hottest core. I'm not sure I can increase V-Core too much more due to heat(?). I originally wanted to get 4.8Ghz since I have the H100 with 2x 3000RPM fans but I'm not sure what settings I need for that.

Perhaps there are settings that I can adjust to get the RAM to be stable at 2400Mhz?

Also, I would really like to get the 2133Mhz 32GB Platinum kit. Do you think I can pull that off with 4-Way SLI and 8x SSDs in RAID-0 (using the LSI controller and the board has 2x PLX chips)?

I would like nothing more than to be able to assist you with this. However, my two X79's are MSI X79A-GD65(8D) and Big Bang XPower II. With the variations involved, my settings that I give are only suggestions and recommendations. They may not be relevant to your unique system. It would be best to probably open a thread in your mainboard's manufacturers forum to inquire about CPU OC'ing.

All I can verify is that Platinum 32GB 2133 kit works on both my MSI X79's at their rated speeds, voltages, and timings.

Added: Tested the 2666 4X4GB 16GB Platinum Kit in the Big Bang XPower II set to 2400 (the mainboards highest available setting). Settings for 100% stability were as Corsair recommended, 11 13 13 35, tRFC 214, Command Rate set to 2, with the DRAM V. set to 1.635v's rather than 1.65v's since not running at full rated speed. What I learned from this may or may not be of help to you. Primary thoughts are that your particular CPU IMC exemplar is not as strong as the one I am testing with, some setting is not quite optimized, the mainboard manufacturer may need to develop a BIOS for better memory compatibility. Another option would be to have that memory kit tested in another system known to run RAM at 2400 or better.

For CPU OC, I recommend the following voltages verified by using a DMM, VCSSA of 0.965v's, VTT of 1.056v's, Internal PLL 'Enabled', PLL V. 1.82-1.84, & if you have it, disable 'EuP 2013', 'Overspeed Protection', & 'Spread Spectrum'. Make sure your power limits & duration are set correctly. Not knowing your mainboard, you may or may not have some of these things I just mentioned, or they are named different. That is why I recommend you contact people in the mainboard's forum to help in that area. :):

Archived