Corsair Community

Have the issues with new H80s been fixed yet?

JetEngineJesus

Hey gang, just poking my head in to see if it's worthwhile pulling my box apart to send in my defective H80. Has anyone heard about an official fix to the fan control problems plaguing the H80 yet? I know there are a few people on here who've had to return theirs 2-3 times already; I'm not too keen to send mine in until I know that it's not going to be a roll of the dice as to whether or not I end up with another defective unit...

Thanks!

JeJ

Mine's been installed for a couple of months. It's got the ol' fan controller issue; I'm running my fans through the MB controller right now. I've got an RMA in, but I've read a couple of posts from guys who've dealt with 3 bad units in a row... I figure there's no point in me wasting time pulling apart my system & dealing with shipping until there's actually a confirmed fix for the problems. It's crappy enough having to deal with a defective product; playing the "parts lottery" and hoping for a working replacement doesn't exactly help matters. :p:

Anyway, just thought I'd poke my head in & see if any progress has been made!

Yup, I spent a couple of weeks going through all of the troubleshooting tips as suggested by you and various others around the forums.

I'm not so much concerned with getting an RMA set up as I am with getting another defective unit as a replacement when I do RMA. I'd rather save myself the hassle of going through 3 or 4 replacements before getting an h80 that works properly... If you guys have an approved fix, then great; if not, I'll just sit tight, I guess.

I, uh, assume that this is something Corsair is working on fixing...? If not, then please let me know!

Yup, I spent a couple of weeks going through all of the troubleshooting tips as suggested by you and various others around the forums.

I'm not so much concerned with getting an RMA set up as I am with getting another defective unit as a replacement when I do RMA. I'd rather save myself the hassle of going through 3 or 4 replacements before getting an h80 that works properly... If you guys have an approved fix, then great; if not, I'll just sit tight, I guess.

I, uh, assume that this is something Corsair is working on fixing...? If not, then please let me know!

Good decision. I opted for RMAing it because the CS agent over the phone assured me that the replacement unit would fix the issue. After 3 failed units, I'm not so sure...

Look, I'm not trying to be a troll about this, or come off as some whiny little 14-year old internet nerd whose mom bought him a new computer & he's soooOOOooooo mad 'cuz he doesn't want 2 not play BF3 w/ his homies... I'm generally a pretty big Corsair fan. This is my third build using Corsair parts, and the first time that I've had problems with a Corsair product.

I realize that you guys sell a lot of these things, but given the number of posts on here, the amount of views of those posts, and the fact that there are a number of people reporting multiple defective units in a row, it seems clear that there's a problem that goes beyond the normal statistically probable failure rates on these kind of things. In all likelihood, there are a lot of customers who aren't going to bother posting on the forums, or returning their units; heck, there are probably a lot of customers who don't even notice that there's a problem ("huh, I guess the fans are just supposed to go at top speed all the time...!").

I'm really not interesting in being a jerk about the whole thing; I just want to ensure that I don't have to go through the hassle, time and cost of returning multiple coolers that all suffer from the same problems.

JetengineJesus

Your cause for concern is genuine. The rest of us are equally peeved with problems.I believe this is a minor setback for Corsair and in the same breath I add, Corsair has left no stone unturned to keep the customer happy. With so many RMAs Corsair did not flinch and is too eager to replace the defective units and at the same time working round the clock to get to the bottom of the problem.

Most of us like you, are Corsair fans and hence you see lot of heat in pump noise thread.

At this moment of crisis we should extend our unstinting support to Corsair who has stood by us so far.

Hope you agree

@babdi - I agree: I have no problems whatsoever with Corsair's customer service. I was a little cheezed off that my cost to ship back to Corsair is going to be around $30, and that my work box would have to be out of commission while I swap coolers and wait for a replacement, but RAM GUY suggested I call them up and see if I could work something out, possibly involving cross-shipping.

@wlw_wl - My H80 is having fan controller issues; one fan is always at max speed, the other is constantly revving up and down.

yeah, it needs to get replaced, then I will see about temps at idle vs under load.

perhaps the pump was working then (if so then I am amazed how silent it is) and just the low speed of fans was the problem I don't know. still have the unit installed, so I may re-wire the fans straight to the PSU and compare.

not impressed at all so far. this whole adventure makes me want to reconsider and go for a real water cooling loop instead.

I think the water pump is not running at full power, that's what causing the high temp problem under load (regardless of fan speed problem).

I see 2,100-2,200rpm on CPU fan header used for monitoring, while in this thread people are saying that H80's pump should spin at 4,200rpm??

http://forum.corsair.com/v2/showthread.php?t=99967

maybe that's why mine is so silent and I can't even feel it running when touching the block with fingers...

Nope, it shouldn't. The pump runs at about 2100RPM +/-10%. Sometimes it's mistakenly reported as twice what it really is (hence 4200 RPM), but that's just a misreading that happens on the H60 mostly. As to why that might be, I have expressed my thoughts on that here:

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=106031

I very much doubt that it's running at 1100RPM and your seeing double that, resulting in 2200RPM, that is unheard of.

Or maybe the pump isn't primed properly, so it spins with no resistance, hence no noise and vibrations.

There might be some air bubble or something like that crippling its efficiency, but like I said, I see no point in theories in this particular place...

Archived