Corsair Community

H115i & NF AF14 3000rpm

nmcd83

Hi- I just bought 5 LL140's and a commander pro. Installed and all good in a new Carbide 740, with a H110i. I also have 2x Noctua af 14's installed at the bottom of the case. I was thinking of swapping the Noctua's with two of the LL140's that are on the H110i, due to better radiator performance and because my pc is on a low table, so you don't really see the RGB on the top mounted radiator. The H110i fans are linked to the CPU Fan header, rated at 1amp. The Noctuas' are rated at 0.55 each- .1 over the CPU Fan header rating combined.

The question is can i run the Noctuas on the H110i from the commander pro and what would be the drawback from not running the H110i from the CPU fan header?

IIRC, the H110i is actually powered by a SATA connection. Can you confirm that?

If so, then the CPU Fan Header connection is there to provide a signal so you don't get a CPU Fan warning.

That said, personally, I'd be very reluctant to put those fans on the controller itself. That's a good deal over the current draw of the stock fans and even over the standard current draw of a full header. Plus ... it's unlikely that you'll see a significant performance difference; you get diminishing returns at higher fan speeds ... there's only so much heat that can be dissipated from the radiator.

Supposedly the H110i has a 2.0A limit at the controller and as mentioned you are on the SATA line for power. I have yet to see anyone complain of a blown fan controller on that generation of coolers, so this should be feasibile. I usually don’t recommend the 3000 rpm version of that fan, but given your circumstances it seems a better fit up top than as bottom intake.

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=839688

Archived