Corsair Community

Corsair 750d or 900d for serious WC

HatTrick

Hi all,

First post on these forums.

I'm in the planning stage of upgrading my main overclocking and gaming rig and I'm trying to decide which one of the 750d and 900d would fit my needs best.

The main goal is to maximize cooling performance while at the same time keeping it as quiet as possible.

My current system is:

Intel DX79SI with i7-3970X at 4.4GHz cooled by a thick AIO 120mm cooler from another brand with two fans in push-pull config.

Corsair Vengeance 1600C8 DDR3 4x4GB

ASUS GTX680 DirectCUII

2x Intel 730 SSD

1x Samsung 840 EVO SSD

It will in the near future be upgraded with the following:

Another ASUS GTX680 DirectCUII that I just got cheap 2nd hand but it doesn't fit in my current case.

ASUS Rampage V Extreme with an i7-5960X or 6950X

Corsair Vengeance 4x4GB DDR4

Custom watercooling system.

Initially I'm looking at cooling only the CPU with water.

The radiator I have in mind is the Alphacool NexXxos UT60 280 or 420(maybe overkill?) with Noctua NF-A14 PWM fans in push-pull and a Swiftech Apogee XL waterblock.

I know the 900d can fit either of these two 60mm thick radiators with 25mm fans on each side of it in the top of the case.

But does the 750d have the same 110mm clearance between the motherboard and top of the fan mounts as the 900d so a UT60 280 could fit or would I have to use a thinner 45mm radiator with that case?

In the future I would like to have the option to watercool one or two new video cards as well as the mobo. Would the 240/280 space in the front and 140 in the back of the 750d be enough for rads to cool let's say two GTX980Ti and the RVE mobo?

Any other comments about watercooling an overclocked 8 or 10-core i7?

Hi all,

First post on these forums.

First of all, welcome to the Corsair User Forums!

I'm in the planning stage of upgrading my main overclocking and gaming rig and I'm trying to decide which one of the 750d and 900d would fit my needs best.

The main goal is to maximize cooling performance while at the same time keeping it as quiet as possible.

My current system is:

Intel DX79SI with i7-3970X at 4.4GHz cooled by a thick AIO 120mm cooler from another brand with two fans in push-pull config.

Corsair Vengeance 1600C8 DDR3 4x4GB

ASUS GTX680 DirectCUII

2x Intel 730 SSD

1x Samsung 840 EVO SSD

It will in the near future be upgraded with the following:

Another ASUS GTX680 DirectCUII that I just got cheap 2nd hand but it doesn't fit in my current case.

ASUS Rampage V Extreme with an i7-5960X or 6950X

Corsair Vengeance 4x4GB DDR4

Custom watercooling system.

Initially I'm looking at cooling only the CPU with water.

The radiator I have in mind is the Alphacool NexXxos UT60 280 or 420(maybe overkill?) with Noctua NF-A14 PWM fans in push-pull and a Swiftech Apogee XL waterblock.

I know the 900d can fit either of these two 60mm thick radiators with 25mm fans on each side of it in the top of the case.

But does the 750d have the same 110mm clearance between the motherboard and top of the fan mounts as the 900d so a UT60 280 could fit or would I have to use a thinner 45mm radiator with that case?

You would be pushing it a bit close with fans on one side of the radiator with a 45mm radiator mounted at top in the Corsair Obsidian Series 750D. 280x45mm is the size I would go with up there. There is definitely not enough room for a 60mm radiator along with push/pull fans (that I would recommend for a radiator of that thickness) up there.

In the future I would like to have the option to watercool one or two new video cards as well as the mobo. Would the 240/280 space in the front and 140 in the back of the 750d be enough for rads to cool let's say two GTX980Ti and the RVE mobo?

Considering you would be removing the drive cages in favor of mounting your SSD's in the 2.5" side-mounted slots, I would toss another 280x45mm at the front with push/pull and cool the GPUs with that one, considering your GPUs would run hotter than your CPU. Taking into account that the 980Ti's run cooler than previous generation x80 cards, the 280x45mm would be perfect for cooling the two cards and the board. The ASUS ROG Rampage V doesn't put out a significant enough output of heat from the VRMs or Southbridge, so I wouldn't take it into account when calculating optimum radiator size. Although, I would cool the board with the upper radiator rather than the front, since the CPU wouldn't fully utilize the upper radiator and it'd keep the board cooler than having the GPUs heat it up.

Any other comments about watercooling an overclocked 8 or 10-core i7?

Unless you're planning on adding 4-way SLI or more HDDs/SSDs (although you could fit one more SSD without the drive cages in the 750D), I would go with the 750D for what you're building.

If you want to stick with the liquid cooling hardware you selected (like those monster radiators), then the 900D might be more tailored to your style.

I hope that helps!

• 7 months later...

This post is a few months old now, so OP probably has done what he needed to do already, but I figured I'd post in here for posterity, in case anyone else is searching for this type of clearance information.

You would be pushing it a bit close with fans on one side of the radiator with a 45mm radiator mounted at top in the Corsair Obsidian Series 750D. 280x45mm is the size I would go with up there. There is definitely not enough room for a 60mm radiator along with push/pull fans (that I would recommend for a radiator of that thickness) up there.

I have a 45mm thick 420mm (3x140) radiator up top.

As long as you don't mind losing your top drive bay, and bending th etop two tabs in the drive cage, 420mm radiatos fir fine up there :)

I used to have the 26mm thick H110i GTX in push pull up top, so 25mm+26mm+25mm = 76mm. When I did this I onlt had about 1mm clearance to the top caps on my motherboard.

Now with a 40mm thick 140mm wide rad up there, and a single row of 25mm thick fans (In push) I have about 17mm clearance.

This is what it looks like:

28795387173_5af4280d82_o.jpg

Nothing like a large top radiator, massively thick front radiator and that huge reservoir, to make this previously seemingly cavernous 750D case start feeling a little... constricted...

Archived