Corsair Community

Corsair 550D I/O panel problem

Siegfried.m

The problem is simple. I've installed my new pc with all new components, but I/O panel don't work. Nothing. Power and reset, usb 3.0, nothing! Obviously I've plugged cables on my Asrock Z77 Extreme 4, so I think the problem are the I/O cables.

Anyway, there is a cable that I don't know how to plug. I've plugged the pwrbtn, pled, hdled, reset, hd audio and usb 3.0, but there is also another cable from the I/O with nothing written on it. Only various coloured cables and a side with all black cables.

I'm writing with new pc thanks to Power button on the motherboard.

Check the connections, Eg. The Power L.E.D and HD L.E.D Have a negative and a positive side. The power button and reset button can be plugged in anyway.

If possible, please take a picture of the cable you don't know how to plug.

I recently got an ASR Ex 4 board too, but use it with a 500R case. I did not have any problems with the I/O panel and cables on my 500R, but the USB 3 connectors worked for a week or so (with a different board, etc) but has not worked since then.

To be fair I will say triple check the ASR boards manual (page 38 of the pdf version) to be sure you are connecting things correctly.

Also, the 500R case has a molex connector on a short cable that supplies power to the front I/O panel and the case fans that can be controlled from the I/O panel. I'm not sure if the power switch, etc, will not work unless that connector is connected to the power supply. If your case has a connection for power to the front panel and it is not connected, try that.

The extra cable you mentioned is a mystery to me. The 500R has a cable for the side panel fan bundled with the wires from the I/O panel, but that is all.

There have been a few posts in this forum about problems like you and I have, so our issues are not unique. Although I doubt the mother board is the problem, you can partially test the boards header like this:

Be VERY CAREFUL not to touch any other pins!! Do this ONLY if you feel comfortable and confident you can do this!!

With the PC off but ready to be used, and the case side panel removed, use a small blade screwdriver to momentarily short the two pins on the header used for the power switch connection. They are the two pins on the right side, on the top row of pins, the row with only four pins. Check the manual (page 38 of the pdf version of the manual) to locate the correct pins. The PC should start and run just like pushing the power button on the board.

It is possible to replace the entire I/O panel assembly, including all the cables. Since your case is new, you should be able to create a RMA, requesting that part for a 550D case. In the description section of the RMA form, just describe your issue and say you'd like a replacement I/O panel. You can actually find that part on Corsairs web site, under Products, Parts, Case Parts. The SKU# is CC-8930051. Corsair is very good about providing parts for their products, their customer service is great in my experience.

I recently got an ASR Ex 4 board too, but use it with a 500R case. I did not have any problems with the I/O panel and cables on my 500R, but the USB 3 connectors worked for a week or so (with a different board, etc) but has not worked since then.

To be fair I will say triple check the ASR boards manual (page 38 of the pdf version) to be sure you are connecting things correctly.

Also, the 500R case has a molex connector on a short cable that supplies power to the front I/O panel and the case fans that can be controlled from the I/O panel. I'm not sure if the power switch, etc, will not work unless that connector is connected to the power supply. If your case has a connection for power to the front panel and it is not connected, try that.

The extra cable you mentioned is a mystery to me. The 500R has a cable for the side panel fan bundled with the wires from the I/O panel, but that is all.

There have been a few posts in this forum about problems like you and I have, so our issues are not unique. Although I doubt the mother board is the problem, you can partially test the boards header like this:

Be VERY CAREFUL not to touch any other pins!! Do this ONLY if you feel comfortable and confident you can do this!!

With the PC off but ready to be used, and the case side panel removed, use a small blade screwdriver to momentarily short the two pins on the header used for the power switch connection. They are the two pins on the right side, on the top row of pins, the row with only four pins. Check the manual (page 38 of the pdf version of the manual) to locate the correct pins. The PC should start and run just like pushing the power button on the board.

It is possible to replace the entire I/O panel assembly, including all the cables. Since your case is new, you should be able to create a RMA, requesting that part for a 550D case. In the description section of the RMA form, just describe your issue and say you'd like a replacement I/O panel. You can actually find that part on Corsairs web site, under Products, Parts, Case Parts. The SKU# is CC-8930051. Corsair is very good about providing parts for their products, their customer service is great in my experience.

Uhm...I will post some pics of this mysterious cable. Anyway, I apprecciate all your help. I check these things as soon as possible.

EDIT: The trick with the screwdriver work. So now I'm 100% sure that problem is the front I/O panel. About the molex connector, I don't see anything.

Can you trace it all the way to where the other end comes from?

I don't think that's coming from your 550D I/O panel :D::D::D:

Taken from this review, http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Corsair/Obsidian_550D/1.html

Here is what all the internal cables look like from a 550D:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Corsair/Obsidian_550D/images/innerconnectors.jpg

Can you trace it all the way to where the other end comes from?

I don't think that's coming from your 550D I/O panel :D::D::D:

Taken from this review, http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Corsair/Obsidian_550D/1.html

Here is what all the internal cables look like from a 550D:

I watched many topics and pics for know it, but there is nothing about it. Anyway, it comes from the case.

For a strange reason, now usb works, but power, reset and leds, still not.

Ehi guys, do you know what was the "mysterious cable"? Simply the other side of the cable that plug on power button, hd led, reset, etc. connectors! For some reason (maybe I've tight too much it), it was disconnect from the case front panel. Now all works fine, the topic can be closed.

The bad thing is that only 1 usb port works...

Archived