Corsair Community

Stability Problems Asus M2N-E and TWIN2X2048-6400

pmadruga

Hi,

I just assembled my computer this weekend with a Asus M2N-E and 2Gb of Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400 and I am facing heavy stability problems with my system. It crashes in Windows out of nowhere several times per day - the system simply resets. I tried to configure the timings according to SPD (5-5-5-12-T1 1.9v @ DDR2 800) without any success. I then tried to change to several possible combinations of timings, usually making them more lax such as 6-6-6-18 and the like. I also played with vDIMM, going from 1.85 to 1.95v.

The best stability that I obtained so far is letting the BIOS auto-detect the timings and vDIMM, and run the memories @ 533MHz. Even then the computer is unstable, and often crashes.

I updated the BIOS with the most recent version (302 released in 08/19/06), but no significant improvement can be perceived.

My system configuration is:

Athlon X2 4600+ Socket AM2

Asus M2N-E Bios 302

Corsair 2Gb XMS2 TWIN2X2048-6400

Is there any solution for this problem?

Would the c4 version of this memory work with my mobo?

Is there any list of AM2 mother boards that support my TWIN2X2048-6400?

Thanks

Hey, Thanks for replying quickly.

I've tried the SPD config with no success, and by using the auto detection this is what the BIOS selects:

Tcl = 5

Trcd = 5

Trp = 5

Trca = 18

Memory Timing = 1T

Memory Clock = DDR2 533 (manually selected)

I executed memtest tonight for full 10 hours and no errors were detected.

I am not sure of what the "command rate" is. Is it the memory timing? If not, I did not configure it in any way, and it is probably on Auto. Where can I see it in my BIOS?

Thanks again!

I have the exact same module as you, but different m/b which is a asus m2n-sli delux.

I recently got my ram rma because I was getting BSOD and random crashes due to 1 of the stick's was faulty. It's perfect now, passed memtest and my system has been running stable for a week now.

these are my settings, and i recommend u try them:

Tcl: 5

Trcd: 5

Trp: 5

Trca: 18

Memory timing: 2T

Memory clock: 800mhz

Memory voltage: 2.0v

all the settings are automatically set by bios, except memory voltage

Hey, Thanks for replying quickly.

I've tried the SPD config with no success, and by using the auto detection this is what the BIOS selects:

Tcl = 5

Trcd = 5

Trp = 5

Trca = 18

Memory Timing = 1T

Memory Clock = DDR2 533 (manually selected)

I executed memtest tonight for full 10 hours and no errors were detected.

I am not sure of what the "command rate" is. Is it the memory timing? If not, I did not configure it in any way, and it is probably on Auto. Where can I see it in my BIOS?

Thanks again!

command rate is the "memory timing" eg. 1T or 2T

I have the exact same module as you, but different m/b which is a asus m2n-sli delux.

I recently got my ram rma because I was getting BSOD and random crashes due to 1 of the stick's was faulty. It's perfect now, passed memtest and my system has been running stable for a week now.

these are my settings, and i recommend u try them:

Memory voltage: 2.0v

all the settings are automatically set by bios, except memory voltage

Hey ultiblade, thanks for chimming in.

I've run memtest with both sticks on and it detected no problems. Do I still need to test each stick individually?

Will try your config and see what happens. I'll use 1.95v instead of 2v because that's my mobo's maximum vDIMM.

I'll let you guys know what happens.

Thanks!

I've run memtest with both sticks on and it detected no problems. Do I still need to test each stick individually?

Will try your config and see what happens. I'll use 1.95v instead of 2v because that's my mobo's maximum vDIMM.

Thanks!

Tried your config but it was also unstable. Am currently using something very similar to see if there's any improvement.

Memory timing: 1T

Memory voltage: 1.95v

Will tell you how it goes. Anyway, do you think I need to test each module individually, or the memtest for both at the same time was enough to discard the possibility of problems with the memory?

Thanks!

If your ram passed with both sticks in- then you don't need to test each module individually.

As Ramguy stated try running memory timing on "2T" to see if it resolves your issue.

^

If the above solution doesn't work, try running ur memory clock to DDR2 667mhz with 2T memory timing.

Tried to reset the Bios to defaults and used the following configuration without success :[pouts:

Trca: 12

Memory voltage: 1.90v

Following ultiblade's suggestion, I am running the machine now with the same config but at DDR2 667. Will let you know what happens.

Thanks for not giving up on me, Ramguy and ultiblade!

NP Please let us know!

Well, I've tried your suggestions and all other possible combinations without any success. My system still crashes, and I pretty much lost hope of making it work the way it is. The best thing I can do is to exchange my mobo for something that will work.

Ramguy, can you please point me Socket AM2 mother boards that will defintitely work with my TWIN2X2048-6400?

Thanks again.

• Corsair Employee

That MB should run great with those modules. As long as you have an X2 or FX CPU other wise DDR667 would be suggested and you have to run at 2t Commande Rate. Let's get your modules replaced,

Please use the [http://www.corsairmemory.com/main/rma_request.html] "On Line RMA Request Form" and we will be happy to replace them or it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Ramguy,

Could I ask you? I am running Corsair 2Gb XMS2 TWIN2X2048-6400 on

ASUS P5WDG2 WS Motherboard and it only detects these RAM as PC5300

instead of PC6400. Corsair says mine are 800Mhz chips.

Do I have to overclock my RAM to achieve the rated speed? Could you please let me know?

Thanks for your reply in advance.

Dan

Corsair tech support told me that all I need is to change the DRAM voltage setting to v1.9 and change MEM Freq to 800MHZ. He said I don't have to change the SPD. Is this correct?

Here's what I got at CPU-z now:

Frequency: 400.7Mhz

FSB:DRAM: 2.3

CAS# Latency: 5.0

RAS# to CAS# Delay: 5

RAS# Precharge: 5

Cycle Time: 18

Bank Cycle Time: 21

Can you please confirm?

mem.jpg.a102d53a5731e54aec53f7b9be8cc252.jpg

Tks Wired.

At this setting..my system keeps on shutting down.

Frequency: 400.7Mhz

FSB:DRAM: 2.3

CAS# Latency: 5.0

RAS# to CAS# Delay: 5

RAS# Precharge: 5

Cycle Time: 18

Bank Cycle Time: 21

I am changing the Trs to 15 to see what it does. I hope Corsair can handle the rated speed.

I really wanted to use TWIN2X2048-6400 so I returned the old ones and got the same new modules to test (I already switched the M/B once). I've always been using Corsair and really like to keep that way because I 've had a good experience with Corsair. It boots and runs fine at 667Mhz but once again when I set my bios to 800Mhz (5-5-5-12, 5-5-5-15 & 5-5-5-18) for these modules, the system become unstable again. It reboots at random, especially at multi-tasking.

I cannot understand why these modules cannot perform at their rated speed. This is not like Corsair I used to know.

Intel E6700

Asus P5WDG2 WS Pro

Evga Geforce 7900 GS

TWIN2X2048-6400

Seasonic S12 500W

Ok, i recently in the past 2 weeks put together a new system. I special ordered the ram cosair twinx2 6400 for the asus m2n32 sli deluxe using a athalon x2 4200 processor.

Everything was ok with letting the mb decide the settings or so i thought until i ran partition magic 8. During the process the memory apparently failed and corrupted the xp install so i had to re-install. The kicker is that when i went to re-install the xp slipstreamed cd or the original xp pro that i had slipstreamed got to a point where it could not copy files. they were always the same. I also got memory dump errors during a xp install.

When I originally installed my system the retailer lent me some 533 cheap ram to get em up and going, and everything installed fine. (as the cosair was on backorder) I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out why I could not install xp pro. Spent hours and hours. Had the retailer lend me 2 sticks of 533 ram again and voila it installed with no problems. Now im in a delemma of do I keep the cosiar ram or go with with a slower cosair and eliminate the problems ?

Apparently this is becomming a issue for many. My guess is that it is a bios update issue for updates to come from asus. If my phone call to asus this morning is any indication of the quality of thier product due to the quality of customer service I recieved from the arrogant and grumpy tech guy ... we are all in trouble. I have used asus for endless years, just wished I had phoned them at least once before buying this MB.

Its nice to see cosair standing up for thier customers and being helpfull I will definetly stay with that kind of service, just need to get a stable system up.

Any suggestions ??

thanks.. Brian

• Corsair Employee

Brian,

The Video card you have may need to have a bigger PSU is my first thaught from reading your post. I believe the Card requires 18 amps on the 12 Volt Rail and that PSU I think is rated at 15A or 16A, please check it to be sure.

But I would suggest our HX520W with the config you gave!

Archived