Corsair Community

iCue Install - Crash and Freeze

feisty

Hello to everyone on the Corsair forums!

I've been using Corsair products for quite a few years now and usually without any issue.

I have got one issue that's got me stumped though. I dont want to persist with too much testing for fear of bricking my Windows install.

Basically I upgraded to a Core i9 9900K with an Asrock Phantom Gaming 9 mobo. Naturally, I reinstalled Windows freshly but I cant get iCUE installed on this new system.

It simply crashes at 59% while installing the driver software and the system freezes solid and needs a full reset to get going again.

I had all this working on my previous X99 build so I dont suspect a bad peripheral.

The only other thing that has changed is that I'm also using Windows 10 1809 where it was 1803 before.

Corsair devices:

K70 RGB Lux

Sabre RGB

Void Pro RGB

H110i GT AIO

System:

i9 9900K

Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming 9

32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4 2400

EVGA RTX 2080 Ti

Seasonic Focus Gold 1000W

1TB Samsung 860 Evo M2

2x 1TB Samsung 850 Evo SATA

3x Seagate 2TB 7200RPM SATA

If anyone has any idea how I can get round this it'd be much apreciated. I've tried contacting Corsair support but I havent heard anything back.

Thanks

F:biggrin:

20181214_214523.jpg.810939d10efc3bfd35257a154a748474.jpg

Edited by feisty
Mobo chipset missing

Yeah, the ram is from my previous X99 build. High prices have put me off upgrading the RAM for a while but i'm looking at 32GB of Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200. Not sure how much of a difference it'll be though... Anyhow I'm betting it still doesnt allow me to install iCUE :laughing:

Anyone using Windows 10 and 1809 withj iCUE?

I've asked my motherboard vendor to try and verify iCUE compatibilty with my board. First thing they suggested was removing other sync tools which had no effect. I tried installing iCUE before any other sync tools anyhow.

I managed to find the fix after some persistence by putting a in a spare SSD for some fresh install testing.

Reinstalled fresh Win10 1809 - Same issue

Reinstalled fresh Win10 1803 - Same issue

So I noticed each time the crash occured the HDD light was stuck on.. just assumed it was beacuse of a crash during a file write. Then I noticed that my PC would sometimes crash when using the device manager to detect new devices. Not always, but spam the button enough and it would.

So I then disconnected all devices apart from the M2 SSD and the essential Corsair peripherals i needed. I was then able to install iCUE and the device manager no longer crashed. So i eventually traced the issue to a Pioneer BD-RW connected to the extra ASMedia SATA ports on the board. Moved this to an Intel SATA port and all was good.

I believe Asrock are one of the few board providers providing extra SATA ports on their Z390 platform hence the issue.

I now have the latest build of iCUE working just fine on my setup and I'll share my findings with Asrock.

Heshokima,

Looking at your board, its very similar to my board in specs. Might be worth seeing if you're using the ASMedia SATA ports for anything other than an HDD. (Check your manual if you dont know which ports are which)

Beware that if your boot drive is connected via the ASMedia controller you might need to tweak things in your Windows install if you cant boot.

Cheers, F:sunglasse

Edited by feisty
  • Confused 1

Hi Heshokima,

Yeah its crazy, the extra SATA ports are the reason I bought the board over the usual ASUS/MSI... etc...

Anyhow glad you have a result. I'm using two Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM drives running from those ports without issue. It was the BD-RW drive causing the issue for some reason.

I did have a support case open with Asrock and I have forwarded my conclusions about the ASMedia controller with a request that they add it to their knowledgebase. With any luck they'll be quicker to help others with the same issue.

Thanks,

F

Hi All,

I have an Asrock Extreme7+ running Windows 10 1809, Intel i7 6700K processor, with the Corsair H115i cooler. I was experiencing the exact same problem with iCue locking up during the installation process at the Installing Drivers step.

Following your recommendation, I disconnected my DVD drive from the ASMedia SATA Ports, and BAM! I was able to install iCue with no more lockups.

Thank you so much for posting this information, it sure helped me out!

• Confused 1

I noticed that the ASMedia 1061 was listed in the device manager as "Standard SATA-AHCI Controller"* under the tab "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller"*. After installing the driver for the ASMedia, I find the controller correctly under "Storage Controller"* and can install iCue without freezing the PC during installation.

I took the driver for asm106x 3.2.3. Unfortunately I did not find any official sources for the driver and downloaded it from station-drivers.com.

* (I use a German Windows and am not 100% sure about the terms.)

• Confused 2

BullGator, Heshokima,

Thanks for taking the time to share your findings. This thread appears on Google and should provide some good guidance for anyone else having the same issues.

I was also using the "Standard SATA AHCI Controller" driver for the storage controllers and I always thought the standard Microsoft AHCI driver was the most compatible with Windows and SSD Trim functions. Anyhow, this fix doesn't require opening the case which is even better.

Thanks again,

F:sunglasse

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
I can confirm that this is also an issue with the ASRock Z77 Extreme9. Following the above advice about installing the asm106x 3.2.3 driver fixed it and I was finally able to get iCue drivers installed with no freezing. Thank you to Heshokima!

• 5 weeks later...
So I had the same issue but I'm on ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VI EXTREME but this board much older and has ASMedia ASM1061 sata ports. I was get a freeze while uninstalling or reinstallling the software I disconnect the lite on dvd drive I had and then all the issues went away I was able to install the icue software or remove it I'm going to update my asm drivers and see if that resolve the issue.

• 4 months later...

Thanks, guys I seriously was getting frustrated all I did was unplug the DVD ROM and it installed! I actually had to put my computer in safe mode several times to remove the folder is it kept locking up at 65% when drivers were getting installed! Are they gonna have a fix for this or is this situation going to go unnoticed?

ASUS MAXIMUS VII FORMULA/WATCH DOGS Motherboard

• 5 months later...

Hello guys.

I apologize in advance for bringing this thread back from the dead but I am experiencing the same issue that is mentioned here.

I have an intel 6850k i7 build with a ASUS X99-A II board and 1 PNY and 1 Samsung SSD connected via SATA. (No other peripherals connected via SATA)

All my issues started when I upgraded my case and I believe I didn't reconnect my SATA cables back to the same ports they were in. I started having issues with the corsair application not detecting my mouse or not loading my mouse speed and light settings. When restarting the application it crashes immediately after opening. I managed to uninstall it but was not able to reinstall it until I changed the SATA connections from the topmost connections to the bottommost connections on the board. I am currently trying to figure out how is it that I can remove the "Microsoft Storage Spaces COntroller" to replace it with the asm106x driver. I am unsure how to go about this process. Thanks

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

This thread just saved me hours of headaches.

It turns out it was my USB 3.0 PCI expansion card.

Unplugged it, install went perfectly.

I used to love Corsair but so many unresolved issues like this drives me mental. My friggin $120 mouse disconnects 10+ times a day and I need to unplug & replug it to connect.

• 4 months later...