Corsair Community

iCue Service not starting during install

mniccum

CorsairUtilityEngineSetup_3.1.133_release.msi

When installing iCue it hangs on "Starting Services". Eventually it fails. The error logged is:

Source: CLinkIntegrationService

Service cannot be started. System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

at CorsairLink4.DeviceCache.Services.DebugLoggingService.get_DebugLogging()

at CorsairLink4.Service.Common.Logger.ServiceNLogConfigurator.SetupServiceTraceLog(LoggingConfiguration config)

at CorsairLink4.Service.Common.Logger.ServiceNLogConfigurator.PrepareConfiguration()

at CorsairLink4.Common.Shared.Logger.NLogConfigurator.Configure()

at CorsairLink4.LinkService.Service.Startup.ConfigureDependencies()

at CorsairLink4.LinkService.Service.WindowsService.OnStart(String[] args)

at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceBase.ServiceQueuedMainCallback(Object state)

Looks like a control is not being registered correctly.

Eventually it fails with:

EventID: 11920

Source: MsiInstaller

Product: Corsair Utility Engine -- Error 1920. Service 'Corsair Service' (CorsairService) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.

I ran the MSI with verbose logging the last line is where it's at when it stops during deployment:

MSI © (44:90) [23:46:12:564]: MSI_LUA: Setting AdminUser property to 1 because this is the client or the user has already permitted elevation

MSI © (44:90) [23:46:12:564]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Adding AdminUser property. Its value is '1'.

MSI © (44:90) [23:46:12:564]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Adding Privileged property. Its value is '1'.

MSI © (44:90) [23:46:12:564]: Note: 1: 1402 2: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MS Setup (ACME)\User Info 3: 2

MSI © (44:90) [23:46:12:564]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Adding USERNAME property. Its value is 'Windows User'.

MSI © (44:90) [23:46:12:565]: Note: 1: 1402 2: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MS Setup (ACME)\User Info 3: 2

MSI © (44:90) [23:46:12:565]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Adding DATABASE property. Its value is 'C:\Users\<username>\Downloads\Apps\CorsairUtilityEngineSetup_3.1.133_release.msi'.

MSI © (44:90) [23:46:12:565]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Adding OriginalDatabase property. Its value is 'C:\Users\<username>\Downloads\Apps\CorsairUtilityEngineSetup_3.1.133_release.msi'.

MSI © (44:90) [23:46:12:565]: Machine policy value 'MsiDisableEmbeddedUI' is 0

MSI © (44:90) [23:46:12:565]: EEUI - Running MsiEmbeddedUI code

I also open a command prompt as admin and ran the MSI with no success.

I reinstalled Windows 10 Enterprise and Pro and still could not successfully install.

Also, I am a local administrator on the machine. I tried starting the service manually and it fails to start.

Any ideas?

Edited by mniccum

I found the "C:\ProgramData\Corsair\CUE\Service logs\Service_Error.log"

2018-04-19 01:47:33.0226 | 2 | <COMPUTERNAME> | 3.1.0.30 | DevicesMonitor | ->

System.InvalidOperationException: Collection was modified; enumeration operation may not execute.

at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowInvalidOperationException(ExceptionResource resource)

at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.Enumerator.MoveNext()

at Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonSerializerInternalWriter.SerializeDictionary(JsonWriter writer, IDictionary values, JsonDictionaryContract contract, JsonProperty member, JsonContainerContract collectionContract, JsonProperty containerProperty)

at Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonSerializerInternalWriter.SerializeValue(JsonWriter writer, Object value, JsonContract valueContract, JsonProperty member, JsonContainerContract containerContract, JsonProperty containerProperty)

at Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonSerializerInternalWriter.SerializeObject(JsonWriter writer, Object value, JsonObjectContract contract, JsonProperty member, JsonContainerContract collectionContract, JsonProperty containerProperty)

at Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonSerializerInternalWriter.SerializeValue(JsonWriter writer, Object value, JsonContract valueContract, JsonProperty member, JsonContainerContract containerContract, JsonProperty containerProperty)

at Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonSerializerInternalWriter.SerializeList(JsonWriter writer, IEnumerable values, JsonArrayContract contract, JsonProperty member, JsonContainerContract collectionContract, JsonProperty containerProperty)

at Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonSerializerInternalWriter.SerializeObject(JsonWriter writer, Object value, JsonObjectContract contract, JsonProperty member, JsonContainerContract collectionContract, JsonProperty containerProperty)

at Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonSerializerInternalWriter.Serialize(JsonWriter jsonWriter, Object value, Type objectType)

at Newtonsoft.Json.JsonSerializer.SerializeInternal(JsonWriter jsonWriter, Object value, Type objectType)

at Newtonsoft.Json.JsonConvert.SerializeObjectInternal(Object value, Type type, JsonSerializer jsonSerializer)

at CorsairLink4.LinkService.Service.LinkServer.GetDevices(Connection connection, Int32 requestNumber)

at CorsairLink4.LinkService.Service.LinkServer.<>c__DisplayClassf.<OnMessageArrived>b__1()

at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.InnerInvoke()

at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()

Question: Is this a new install or installing over?

This looks like it'll happen if debug logging is turned off. It's been filed as a bug for investigation. In the meantime, can you install Link/CUE?

I guess it's been both since I have tried reinstalling Windows 10 multiple times.

CorsairUtilityEngineSetup_2.6.79_release.msi installs successfully

Thanks

Edited by mniccum

Your second error is likely a race condition. What devices do you have that iCue would be managing?

Corsair - 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (CP-9020082-NA)

Corsair - Vengeance RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3600 Memory

(being delivered tomorrow) Corsair - K95 RGB PLATINUM Wired Gaming Keyboard

Finally! After three days of scratching my head I think I've solved my issue.

I reinstalled Corsair Link v4.9.6.19, then tried to install CUE v3.1.133.

When the install got stuck on 60% starting services I restarted the pc which left the program fully installed just without the service started. I then went to C:\ProgramData\Corsair and deleted the folder CUE.

I then launched CUE and went to the CUE install folder and launched Corsair Service. Not sure if this did much but it seemed to fix the issue as the service would now run. Also all my devices now showed up.

Then I went to Services.msc and found Corsair Service and started it. Unlike before where it would instantly stop, this time it stayed running and all my devices have been recognised and work!

• Confused 1

Good to know. That's really odd. It sounds like, however, there are a couple of things that they need to look at. Thanks for the stack traces; that kind of stuff is always super-helpful.

I am a system engineer and can typically troubleshoot these type of issues but there just isn't much useful info to go on. I appreciate you spending the time to respond.

I have it fixed for now. Here is what I did:

Stopped any running msiexec.exe processes (a reboot would do the same thing)

Deleted Files in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp

Deleted Folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Corsair

Deleted Folder C:\ProgramData\Corsair

Deleted Folder C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Corsair

Deleted Registry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Corsair

Deleted Registry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Corsair

Ran the MSI, it went through an uninstall process and then it installed successfully.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND GOING THROUGH THIS PROCESS UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING. YOU CAN SERIOUSLY MESS UP WINDOWS JACKING WITH THE REGISTRY.

Finally! After three days of scratching my head I think I've solved my issue.

I reinstalled Corsair Link v4.9.6.19, then tried to install CUE v3.1.133.

When the install got stuck on 60% starting services I restarted the pc which left the program fully installed just without the service started. I then went to C:\ProgramData\Corsair and deleted the folder CUE.

I then launched CUE and went to the CUE install folder and launched Corsair Service. Not sure if this did much but it seemed to fix the issue as the service would now run. Also all my devices now showed up.

Then I went to Services.msc and found Corsair Service and started it. Unlike before where it would instantly stop, this time it stayed running and all my devices have been recognised and work!

This helped me out. All I did was delete the CUE folder in AppData. ran install, everything works again.

THANK YOU!!!!

Edited by KillaKwik
spelling

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
I have it fixed for now. Here is what I did:

Stopped any running msiexec.exe processes (a reboot would do the same thing)

Deleted Files in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp

Deleted Folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Corsair

Deleted Folder C:\ProgramData\Corsair

Deleted Folder C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Corsair

Deleted Registry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Corsair

Deleted Registry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Corsair

Ran the MSI, it went through an uninstall process and then it installed successfully.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND GOING THROUGH THIS PROCESS UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING. YOU CAN SERIOUSLY MESS UP WINDOWS JACKING WITH THE REGISTRY.

Thank you man, your solution was the best and helped me to install iCUE again.