Corsair Community

Firmware update on MacBook Pro

filipzelic

Hi guys!

This is my first post here so please bear with me.

I have 240GB Corsair Force 3 SSD which is attached to my main disk drive bay in "Late 2011" MacBook Pro, and I have data doubler and in that bay is regular HDD. I've bought Force 3 SSD last year and my revision number is 1.3.2. (which can be seen on System Profiler > Serial-ATA).

I have not paying much attention for Firmware updates last year and I just found out that there is 5.03 firmware available for update? Can I update it from Mountain Lion or I should boot Bootcamp Windows 7 and update my firmware that way? Is it safe to update firmware from via Bootcamp? And how do I do that?

Kind regards

Filip (Phillip) :)

The firmware update can only run on Windows.

You can try update the firmware using Bootcamp. It may or may not work. If it doesn't you'll need to update it on a Windows desktop computer.

Firmware instructions are in the PDF file when you download the update tool.

I would suggest you backup your important data in case something goes wrong.

@filipzelic please read the the firmware update note carefully! It requires AHCI enabled in windows for the firmware update to work. With Bootcamp you are most probably going to have AHCI disabled in windows since bootcamp doesnt support it yet. Google around for enabling AHCI and you will see it requires a non official patch to the MBR. So change to AHCI only if you are confident of updating the MBR else you will get a BSOD and not be able to boot into windows.

Please post back with your results if you successfully enable ahci and update your firmware so it can help others like me.

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Posting this just in case someone else out there looking for a way to update FW on their Macs stumbles upon the thread.

I managed to update just fine by enabling the AHCI drivers in Windows then updating as usual. The instructions for enabling AHCI i've followed are here:

Just follow them to the letter, update, then revert to the original MBR and drivers if you don't plan on using Windows on your MBP much.

• 4 months later...
Posting this just in case someone else out there looking for a way to update FW on their Macs stumbles upon the thread.

I managed to update just fine by enabling the AHCI drivers in Windows then updating as usual. The instructions for enabling AHCI i've followed are here:

Just follow them to the letter, update, then revert to the original MBR and drivers if you don't plan on using Windows on your MBP much.

Please, could you give the link to the instructions for enabling AHCI on a BootCamp Windows system ?

Regards

Archived