Corsair Community

TX650 electrical buzzing sound

mushioov

Hello!

I built up a new computer few months ago with a TX650. A few days later, the PSU died suddenly. I got it RMA'd and got a new one (which I'm using now).

Well now I've noticed that this new PSU has some very weird electrical kind of noise coming from it. It's not coil whine, that's what I'm sure of. It's like there's a faulty capacitator (?) or something which is leaking huge amounts of electricity, at least that's what it sounds like. A low kind of electrical leakage buzz sound.

The noise is not too loud but if I put my head right next to my computer, I can clearly hear it. And it's definitely coming from the PSU.

So my question is, should I be worried of this sound or just let it be? Could it be the reason why the first PSU died in the first place? Is this PSU going to die soon as well?

Edit: I listened to the sound again and the closest I could describe it is like a soft "frying" sound, which is pretty scary... Well, I'm scared to use this computer... Don't want my parts nor the PSU to fry :P

Hey,

The sound isn't bothersome, it's barely audible. I don't need RMA for that. (Also I don't have money to send it to you at the moment :P)

I was thinking more that could there be some electricity leakage or something that could cause my parts to fry...? At least that's what it sounds like...

• Corsair Employee
Higher efficiency PSUs are more prone to buzz or hum due to their increased sensitivity to the input voltage from your wall outlet. If the buzz is barely audible, then you should not have any problems. You do have a 5 year warranty on the TX650, so at any time that the noise gets louder or you begin to have any stability issues which could be related to the PSU, we can definitely replace it for you.

Hey,

The electric "static" noise has now started to get louder. It can now be heard from 2 meters away. It happens usually after some intensive use of the computer.

This is exactly what happened to my other PSU (same Corsair TX650 as well) which then later died and which I RMA'd.

I'm positive this has got something to do with my my computer voltages...

I'm afraid it will destroy my other parts soon.

I upped my memory to 1600mhz with 1.65 voltage because the computer would freeze otherwise, could this be the problem? I also put my computer to Performance Mode from the ASUS Bios settings.

Also, I don't want to RMA this again, because I doubt that two different PSU's would be defect the same way and act exactly the same way...

Hey RAM Guy,

I tested my memory with Memtest86+ and ran it for 1,5hours after it finished with no errors.

I'e tried to diagnose this for over a week now, and I can also say that I'm not a complete noob when it comes to computers.

A lot of people are having this same freezing issue, it's almost always a P8P67 board with Corsair memory. Googling "P8P67 freezing" gives quite a bit of results on this issue.

I'm thinking that this all could be related somehow... Motherboard conflicting with the memory with bad voltages/settings and PSU not liking it... Or motherboard conflicting with the CPU (freezing is quite often with the i7-2600(k)) voltages/settings and PSU not liking that...

I'd really want to get this solved for the better of everyone... There is definitely something weird going on with the new MB's/CPU's/Memories and their problems are resonating to the PSU's as well. I think that is the reason why I lost my first PSU.

Edit: Also I'd like to add that when I'm looking at Performance Monitor in Win7, I'm having gaps in the graph... Like there's no data for a few seconds... Don't know if this is any help...

Edit2: Here is a link to my other thread where I describe the freezing problem, if anyone is interested in any way: http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20110509210519711&board_id=1&model=P8P67+%28REV+3.1%29&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

• 2 years later...

Archived