Corsair Community

Stats for pc on idle ok?

scopio

I have the same board, CPU and possibly model RAM and can provide a bit of feedback. First, 15% CPU use seems high for idle, same with 1.45V but since 15% load, could be normal depending on if running Auto overclock presets in the BIOS. I run Performance Enhancer Level 3 with a h115i Pro AIO and have about 29C water temp too, but that's really dependent on the ambient temp of the room. Personally, I would run the AIO in Balanced mode so the pump RPM goes up to 2100 RPM, maybe keep the fans in Quiet mode as 120's will be a bit louder than my 140's which I never hear. Are you able to see your RGB PRO RAM in iCue as a device to change settings, besides in the Dashboard? What BIOS version? I can see the RAM only with 4018 BIOS, not the latest 4207.

Thanks @RiverM and @DevBiker for the feedback.

BIOS Version 4024 x64 Build date 9/7/2018 I'm not fond of updating the BIOS as so many things can go wrong. "If it is not broken don't mend it"

These are the stats this morning with a room temp of 18oC without having made any changes that you have suggested but I have made changes to the fans curves.

The only loads are OS, Windows Defender, Samsung Magician, Malwarebytes, iCUE and Snip & Sketch screen capture. The CPU load jumps between 6% and 8% and the motherboard VCPU starts @ 0.80v and jumps to 1.47v back to 0.81v then back to max 1.54v and repeats the sequence all over again.

@DevBiker Where do I check the Vengeance Pro RAM to make sure that software control is disabled?

BIOS AI Tweaker

2019-01-26-09-59-20.jpg

2019-01-26-10-00-18.jpg

Dashboard-in-the-morning-idle-2.jpg

VCPU starts at 0.80v

Dashboard-in-the-morning-idle.jpg

VCPU increments until it reaches 1.54v

1.54V is far, far, far too much. I suspect that it's the Asus "Overclock Tuner" and "Performance Enhancer". They likely ensure stable overclocks by pouring on voltage; Asus pulls the same nonsense on Intel boards as well.

For the Vengeance Pro, that value is under settings.

Thanks @DevBiker. I have ow disabled memory software control on iCUE and looking at the CPU load is between 1 and 4% and VCPU shifts between 0.80v and 0.81v.

Dashboard-in-the-morning-idle-3.jpg

On the Asus motherboard the "Overclock Tuner" and "Performance Enhancer" are at stock which is Auto.

Did you manually set the memory frequency in the BIOS? Try selecting a DOCP setting under AI Overclock Tuner, there might only be one option, to set all memory timings to XMP values for the corresponding frequency. Also, if you continue to get high vCore voltages above 1.40V you can try changing I believe Performance Enhancer from Auto to Default. Out of the box that board OCs your 2700X with Auto set compared to Default. The AI Tweaker menu changed a bit for different BIOS versions, adding more options. Precision Boost and XFR are likely doing their thing, maybe with ASUS' tweaks raising the vCore to above 1.40V intermittently.

The ASUS ROG forums have an "ASUS Strix X470-F Gaming for owners" thread currently at 77 pages that me be of use to you outside the scope of the fans and cooler. I found it very helpful and post there since building my X470 PC around Christmas time.

I did set the frequency to 3200MHz from the stock 2100MHz.

When I power on the VCPU is around 1.48 on a load of between 1 and 14% but I have now observed that the load then goes down to 1 to 4% and the VCPU is the between 0.80 to 0.84 after about 3 mins. So, it does not stay at 1.49v for very long on idle.

I am now in the process of running Prime95 with Small FFTs and after 1 hr all seems well at 100% load with VCPU 1.42 and temp at 74 degrees.

Thanks for the heads up to Asus ROG forums threads on Asus Strix X470-F Gaming for owners, I will try and have a look although I have had trouble sign in to Asus before.

• 2 weeks later...

The ASUS ROG forums have an "ASUS Strix X470-F Gaming for owners" thread currently at 77 pages that me be of use to you outside the scope of the fans and cooler. I found it very helpful and post there since building my X470 PC around Christmas time.

Thanks RiverM for the heads up to ASUS ROG forums, I guess you are resident in the USA but I'm in the UK and whilst I have been able to sign in to Asus account this is no longer the case. I have search the web in relation to the Asus forums not being able to sign in and found in more than one web site lots of people with the same problem, some put it down to the EU privacy code not allowing people in the RU to sign in to Asus accounts/forum web pages and some people put it down to Asus cooperate cost cutting policies as the Asus VIP account has been dropped. Consequently and annoyingly although I can only see the contents I cannot sign in to any Asus web pages.:mad:

Archived