Corsair Community

TWINX1024-3200XLPRO with Intel D875PBZ

UnusuaL_Gamer

Hello, I have Intel mobo D875PBZ and I'm looking for the best corsair 1GB memory kit. I liked TWINX1024-3200XLPRO and I'm wondering if its compatible with my mobo ?! if not ... I will be sad .. but please tell me then which Corsair memory will be compatible (stable and performance) with my Intel D875PBZ. Thank you

I asked a question before 2 days and I didnt get any answer till now !! maybe you missed my thread: [url]http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26960[/url] I have Intel D875PBZ mobo, and I thinking to buy TWINX1024-3200XLPRO tomorrow !! is it compatiple with my mobo ?? if not , would you plz tell me which TWIN kit will be the best for my INTEL D875PBZ ? Thank you

• Corsair Employee
The Intel version of the MB does not give all of the options needed to run with over clocked memory. I would not suggest running these modules with this MB. A better part would be Twinx1024-3200 with any OEM or Intel boxed MB! Sorry!

• 2 months later...
Ram Guy, I, too, was going to use TWINX1024-3200XLPRO RAM on an Intel B875PBZ mobo, but realized just before testing it out that the RAM was 2.75 volt and the mobo only supported 2.5 volt memory. I don't want to give up the TWINX1024-3200XLPRO memory. It cost more than the mobo, and is trememdous memory. :(: :o: Can I do any harm still in testing this combination? Will I be able to still get a latency of 2-2-2-5? Am I likely to have problems with frequent crashs? My istincts are to buy an ASUS P4C800-E mobo and store the Intel mobo away until I can use it as an upgrade on another computer, at which time I'll buy some 2.5 volt memory for it. Any comments or suggestions? :):

O.K., I connected my monitor, mouse, and keyboard (but no OS) to the new computer with the TWINX1024-3200XLPRO RAM on an Intel B875PBZ mobo, and then powered up. It booted through the setup smoothly up to the point where it looks for the OS. :sunglasse Entering setup, I found the RAM came up with a latency of 2-2-2-5 and DDR voltage of 2.625 volts. :): The BIOS setup had options to change the voltage to 2.75 volts by way of enhanced user settings, but the line for the DDR voltage responded to ANY voltage for this setting as unsupported (including the 2.625). I assume this simply means no altering of the voltage was supported by the Intel mobo, even though the BIOS software would allow it if the mobo was capable of supporting a voltage change. :sigh!: [It's strange that some Intel literature says "2.5 volts (only)", and other Intel literature says "2.6 volts (only)", with the BIOS setup listing that it was set at "2.625 volts". I lean towards believing the BIOS setup number, but then who knows? I wish I knew which pin to probe to find out what the voltage really is, but then I assume this is not a DC voltage, but the level of the digital pulses. [B]Is there some DC level on the RAM connector to probe that would help indicate what the actual DDR voltage setting is?[/B] Realizing it would still be better to go with the ASUS P4C800-E mobo, it is encouraging so far that the B875PBZ has booted and accepted the 2-2-2-5 setting. :sigh!: I still would like some advice as to whether it would seem prudent to continue with the B875PBZ at 2.625 volts. [B]What would be the anticipated response over time of the TWINX1024-3200XLPRO to being operated at 2.625 volts? More frequent crashes? Slower response? or Possibly no different from 2.75?[/B] Any comments would be appreciated.

• Corsair Employee
I would suggest if you have the setting for the Dim Voltage you set it to 2.75 Volts. I think you have to change another setting to change the VDIM, you might ask the MB maker how to change the Dim Voltage and I would set the Rass to Cass to "3" and then test the system with [url]www.memtest.org[/url] to make sure it’s stable!

I checked the D875PBZ's BIOS setup again. The options for Dim Voltage are 2.625, 2.675, 2.725, and 2.775. I guess either 2.725 or 2.775 would work equally well, since there's no overclock planned for this system. 2.725 would probably run cooler. I have an inquiry into Intel asking if there is any way to truely make a Dim Voltage change from the 2.625 (default) to 2.75 volts. If they come back saying that the mobo will still deliver 2.625 volts, no matter what setting is attempted in the BIOS, then I am almost certain to change to buying the ASUS P4C800-E mobo. I don't want to find out after loading all my software that I need to change mobos.(I plan to use SATA RAID 0, and I'm not sure if a SATA RAID 0 established with an Intel board would work with a different mobo, like ASUS. They might have their own quirks generated by how they set up the RAID configuration. Am I on track? :sigh!: ) Whatever I do, I will run the memory test you mentioned at the [url]www.memtest.org[/url] site. Will post whatever I find out from Intel about changing the voltage on the D875PBZ, if anything is learned by the test results, and what my final action is. Thanks again! :):

Tuesday evening, Intel responded with their usual automated answer with links to their help documentation. That was of no help, so I selected their "elcalate" option Tuesday night. No reply as yet. I got to thinking, the Intel mobo is probably hardware limited to the default 2.625 volts (or possibly 2.5 volts as indicated on the mobo itself). :idea: If I set up RAID 0 on the Intel board and later had to switch to the ASUS board, the drives should work on the ASUS board, since the ASUS board has RAID support using the Intel ICH5R chipset. It also has a RAID support using the Promise PDC20378 controller chipset, and the Promise chipset offers not only RAID 0 and RAID 1, but also has a RAID 0+1 option. I doubt that drives set up using one of the chipsets would be fully compatible with the other chipset, and I like having the option available for RAID 0+1 without having to redo everything. :idea: To make a long story short, Wednesday evening I ordered the ASUS P4C800-E board which I know supports 2.75 volt memory. While I was at it, I ordered a Valman CNPS7000-Cu cooler for the P4. The Valman has a 92 mm fan and is spec'd at 18-27.5 dB, which is a lot quieter than the 70 mm Intel fan which I measured at 57 dBA at 12 inches from the fan. The Intel D875PBZ? Later this year, it's going in my old computer with a 2.4 GHz P4 and [B]2.5 volt [/B] RAM. I'll be sure to run that test from [url]www.memtest.org[/url] - once I have a system worth running it on. Thank you for your help. :):

• 6 months later...
I ran MemTest86 v1.51 today with my ASUS motherboard and Corsair memory and passed 100% with 0 errors, but noticed the CAS was shown as 2.5-2-2-5. After setting the CAS to 2-2-2-5, a programmable burst length of 4 clock cycles, and the "performance Acceleration Mode" to "Enabled" to minimize latencies from CPU to memory, and got 100% and 0 errors again. Then set the burst length to 8 clock cycles and got 100% and 0 errors with those settings, also. I am very happy with the Corsair TWINX1024-3200XLPRO memory. :biggrin: Question: What difference does the burst length make on performance? And would it be recommended to set it at 4 or 8? [I]Note: I ran the system as in the first setup using Norton System Work's performance test on this system (3.2 GHz P4) and a similar one with a 2.4 GHz P4 and 512 MB of a different brand of memory, and this system ran circles around the other system. [/I] :sunglasse

• Corsair Employee
Taken from www.rojakpot.com! [QUOTE]Quick Review This BIOS feature allows you to control the length of a burst transaction. When this feature is set to Disabled, a burst transaction can only comprise of up to four quadword (QW) reads or writes. When this feature is set to Enabled, a burst transaction can only comprise of up to eight quadword (QW) reads or writes. As the initial CAS latency is fixed for each burst transaction, a longer burst transaction will allow more data to be read or written for less delay than a shorter burst transaction. Therefore, a burst length of 8 will be faster than a burst length of 4. Therefore, it is recommended that you enable this BIOS feature for better performance.[/QUOTE]

Archived