Corsair Community

ASUS A7N8X-E / TwinX1024-3200LLPT

darksage429

One stick works, the other one doesn't cooperate. Ran Memtest on both, no errors, ran memtest when they were together, no errors. Running at 166mhz Active Precharge Delay 6T RAS-CAS 3T RAS Precharge 2T CAS Latency 2T DDR Volt: 2.7v EDIT: More detailed Specs Athlon XP 3000+ 333fsb Asus A7N8X-E Corsair TwinX 1024-3200LLPT SATA Raid0 Configuration Gainward Ultra/960 TV-DVI Geforce FX 5700Ultra Audigy 2 ZS Antec TrueBlue480 Power Supply Does this mean that one stick of ram is bad?

Yes, I've tested them both together and individually. My original problems started with trying to install Windows, and that was only accomplished after running on the good single stick. I've tried installing Windows again w/ the other one but failed all the time (although at one point I was able to get to 95%). After installing Windows on the good stick, I tried running with both sticks, but I received blue screens (IRQL was among them, along with something about a paged area not existing). I also tried to run on the single stick, but I've never made it past the Windows startup logo.

• Corsair Employee
Please make sure that you have the latest bios and then set the memory Frequency to 100% and test the modules one at a time with [url]www.memtest86.com[/url] and lets make sure one is not failing, but if you are getting this kind of problem and it's the memory then it should generate an error in memtest.

[quote name='RAM GUY']Please make sure that you have the latest bios and then set the memory Frequency to 100% and test the modules one at a time with [url]www.memtest86.com[/url] and lets make sure one is not failing, but if you are getting this kind of problem and it's the memory then it should generate an error in memtest.[/QUOTE] The board came with the 1008 bios, but just in case i'll try and update it. As for the memtest, how long should we allow it to run?

[quote name='RAM GUY']At least 2 passes per module! Or about 30-60 Min. per![/QUOTE] Yesterday I ran memtest on both sticks, together and individually, both passed 4 tests with no errors. I ran it again today and still no errors show up on the bad stick, yet Windows still will not start properly (NAV would crash, or Zone Alarm, or Sygate). I'm currently running on the good stick with no problems at all. My average temps are 30 degrees for the motherboard 50 degrees for the CPU (Athlon XP 3000+) Motherboard is updated to latest bios (1008) What is wrong?

[quote name='darksage429']Yesterday I ran memtest on both sticks, together and individually, both passed 4 tests with no errors. I ran it again today and still no errors show up on the bad stick, yet Windows still will not start properly (NAV would crash, or Zone Alarm, or Sygate). I'm currently running on the good stick with no problems at all. My average temps are 30 degrees for the motherboard 50 degrees for the CPU (Athlon XP 3000+) Motherboard is updated to latest bios (1008) What is wrong?[/QUOTE] When I say tests, I actually meant complete sets of tests, IE it ran test 1-12, then counted 1 for pass, then ran 1-12 again, etc. Sorry, didn't realize it earlier!

• Corsair Employee
Lets try replacing the modules. Please send us a email with a copy of the [URL=http://www.corsairmemory.com/main/rma_request.xls]form[/URL] or all of your info name address and phone# and the Module part# and copy the link to this post and email it to [email]Warranty@corsairmemory.com[/email]. Or you can also use the [URL=http://www.corsairmemory.com/main/rma_request.html]On Line RMA Request Form[/URL] as well. If after 1 day or 24 hours excluding weekends you do not get the rma please email the same to [email]warranty@corsairmemory.com[/email] and we will help to resolve it.

i have read the thread and believe you are having a timing issue with the MB....try reverting bios back to C18E1006. This should fix your issue. Be sure to flash all and not just update it...if this is the problem let me know and i can mod a bios to incorperate all the changes to firmwares and leave it at bios 1006. Just send me an email if this is so!! :cool: here is the link to the download [URL=http://www.asus.com/support/download/selectftp.aspx?l1_id=1&l2_id=10&l3_id=23&m_id=5&f_name=C18E1006.zip~zaqwedc]Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe BIOS C18E1006[/URL]

[quote name='KaosMaster']i have read the thread and believe you are having a timing issue with the MB....try reverting bios back to C18E1006. This should fix your issue. Be sure to flash all and not just update it...if this is the problem let me know and i can mod a bios to incorperate all the changes to firmwares and leave it at bios 1006. Just send me an email if this is so!! :cool: here is the link to the download [URL=http://www.asus.com/support/download/selectftp.aspx?l1_id=1&l2_id=10&l3_id=23&m_id=5&f_name=C18E1006.zip~zaqwedc]Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe BIOS C18E1006[/URL][/QUOTE] I wanted to give this a try but I've already packed it up and gave it to the postman. However, I'm not sure if it would have worked, because I've also tried the single stick on a regular A7N8X Deluxe, also on a DFI board, and both ended up with the same problems (Various errors on startup).

[quote name='RAM GUY']Was the O.S. installed on this or the MB you are trying to run the modules in?[/QUOTE] On the A7N8X-E, the OS was not installed. I had tried to install it running on both modules, but came up with various copy errors (I thought my Windows XP Professional CD was bad, since it was pretty scratched up, so I went out and got another one). I also replaced the cd-rom with a newer one, and this time I made it to "Finalizing installation of Windows", which is when I started receiving blue screen errors. Because I had a similar experience to the TwinX512 running on my older A7N8X Deluxe board, I removed one of the ram sticks (which just so happened to be the bad one). The installation worked fine, and the OS ran fine. I decided to try out the stick that I had removed, but Windows started up with various errors. I formatted and tried to install on the bad stick but with little success. On the DFI board, the OS was installed already and working fine. I proceeded to test out the good stick, which ran fine. I tested out the bad stick, and it gave me Windows startup errors. On my older A7N8X Deluxe board, the OS was installed, and was running on the older TwinX512-3200LLPT series with no problems, and had no problems running on the good stick, but again I received Windows startup errors on the bad stick.

Archived