Corsair Community

FYI iCUE and Ryzen 3000

Sacco Belmonte

Either tonight or tomorrow I'm going to do a fresh install of Windows, install the newest BIOS (1.0.0.3ABB), and the latest chipset driver. I'll run some tests prior to installing any utilities (iCUE, Steam, etc) other than HWINFO. Then install those apps and test again. If seeing voltage issues I'll try some of the fixes from this thread, and I'll also try my hand at the manual overclocking.

I'll report back when done.

For additional information, I disabled Corsair Service and it indeed lowered the idle voltage to <1 V. All other monitor software did not peg the idle voltage out.

However, I lost connection to:

Commander Pro and all things attached to it. (RGB strips, 3x LL120 RGB fans)

2 x Veng Pro RGB RAM sticks

H115i Platinum AIO (USB connections going through Command Pro)

Basically anything connected internally.

I retained connection to all USB peripherals: Void Pro RGB Headet, K70 keyboard, Glaive mouse, and MM800 mousepad.

Edited by TheStuck

To me disabling iCUE is not an option. :)

I know iCUE is not the lightest background app, but honestly I think they have been doing a hell of a job to keep it from using more resources given the amount of animation layers I'm running.

Corsair service uses 0.8% to sporadic 2% CPU usage. iCUE uses 0% when the UI is closed.

What I do is to use Process Lasso to set iCUE to my main 2 cores the system uses for I/O. I leave all other apps with no affinity and those who use heavy resources are set to use all cores except those two system cores. That way I can always leave resources to iCUE to work smoothly. (no core usage interference)

AMD released an updated chipset driver today that was supposed to address the issue of high idle voltages due to utilities monitoring the hardware. I used to have a problem with iCUE, Discord, and Steam all causing this issue. Discord and Steam no longer cause this issue, but iCUE still does. In order to get sub 1v during idle I have to uninstall iCUE. Otherwise it's locked at 1.45v almost all the time.

Would be really nice if Corsair would put their 2-cents in on this issue.

Just trying to be helpful that's all. Of course my opinion below and nothing is perfect including the AMD launch but...

Maybe iCue can be tweaked (maybe use a low priority thread, smarter thread wait/sleeping, or less aggressive options provided) but not really a "problem?".

The voltage is not locked, observer effect, it's normal for this new processor design, not an issue.

I bet many multi-threaded software's will have this behavior.

Fan control ramping can be an issue but adjust your fan control config to compensate or nuke your CPU performance in some way using power saving plan.

voltages normal: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cbls9g/the_final_word_on_idle_voltages_for_3rd_gen_ryzen/

more about voltage: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cjzax5/amd_cant_say_this_publicly_so_i_will_half_of_the/

Also have all the following in combination and your system should be working smoothly.

1) Windows 10 version 19.03 (3 power plans to help depending on the behavior you desire)

2) Proper BIOS/UEFI (with at least AGESA 1.0.0.3AB)

3) Updated chipset driver

Edited by A Computer Guy

Also have all the following in combination and your system should be working smoothly.

1) Windows 10 version 19.03 (3 power plans to help depending on the behavior you desire)

2) Proper BIOS/UEFI (with at least AGESA 1.0.0.3AB)

3) Updated chipset driver

I am running latest chipset and 1903 windows. Running latest ASUS bios but that isnt AB. I wouldnt be surprised if ASUS goes to ABB instead of AB on the next update.

The new chipset was supposed to address software that had very aggressive system requests (~1ms). The new chipset seems to have fixed this for all the software I run with the fast service requests but iCUE. As soon as the iCUE is closed, the idle voltage goes <1. It is the only programs causing this. I do not know if iCUE has to have the fast system request or not as it relates to Corsair Services which is causing this issue. Note someone on Reddit said disabling enable full software control on the ram fixed it. It did not for me. I think this is a case where Ryzen 2 is the first CPU to be sensitive to fast service requests. I believe Ryzen 2 is reacting by design though.

Windows says default request time is 15.6 ms and will give warnings for anything faster than this. You can check by running command in admin mode and typing "powercfg /energy /duration 5" and then reading the energy report it generates.

Maybe the next BIOS update (ABB) will fix it but as of now the only software that I run that causes the idle voltage issue is iCUE and more specific the Corsair Service. Hopefully providing as much information as possible will speed up the fix.

With the new chipset driver (and everything else up to date including a recent update for iCue) I get this when running that command "powercfg /energy /output "c:\temp\output.html" /duration 5"

Platform Timer Resolution:Outstanding Timer Request

A program or service has requested a timer resolution smaller than the platform maximum timer resolution.

Requested Period 10000

Requesting Process ID 14172

Requesting Process Path \Device\HarddiskVolume4\Program Files (x86)\Corsair\CORSAIR iCUE Software\iCUE.exe

CPU Utilization:Individual process with significant processor utilization.

This process is responsible for a significant portion of the total processor utilization recorded during the trace.

Process Name iCUE.exe

PID 14172

Average Utilization (%) 0.56

Module Average Module Utilization (%)

\SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe 0.20

\Device\HarddiskVolume4\Program Files (x86)\Corsair\CORSAIR iCUE Software\Qt5Core.dll 0.07

\Device\HarddiskVolume4\Program Files (x86)\Corsair\CORSAIR iCUE Software\iCUE.exe 0.07

CPU Utilization:Individual process with significant processor utilization.

This process is responsible for a significant portion of the total processor utilization recorded during the trace.

Process Name Corsair.Service.exe

PID 4536

Average Utilization (%) 0.48

Module Average Module Utilization (%)

\Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\clr.dll 0.15

\SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe 0.12

\Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\wow64cpu.dll 0.04

In addition steamwebhelper.exe and audiodg.exe also appear on the list for outstanding timer requests.

Interesting I didn't realize iCue and Corsair service was still 32-bit and iCue is using QT.

Does iCue run on Linux too?

Does iCue run on Linux too?

Nope. I've tried.

I really really hope Corsair fixes this ****. I've finally gotten the rest of my new Ryzen 3900X system ironed out. This is the last thing that's causing an issue. Turning off the Corsair service doesn't help me. It's the actual program running in the system tray that causes issues with my CPU. I kill that and everything is fine. But then my headset and profiles don't work.

I'm starting to see why people are so frustrated with Corsair. Great products, **** utilities to manage them.

I've started hunting around for alternative brands, but at this point it's going to cost too much to switch away, so I either deal with the high voltages, CPU boosting unnecessarily, and high temps because of iCUE, or I spend a few hundred dollars to replace all my peripherals with a different brand that has better management software.

Nope. I've tried.

I really really hope Corsair fixes this ****. I've finally gotten the rest of my new Ryzen 3900X system ironed out. This is the last thing that's causing an issue. Turning off the Corsair service doesn't help me. It's the actual program running in the system tray that causes issues with my CPU. I kill that and everything is fine. But then my headset and profiles don't work.

I'm starting to see why people are so frustrated with Corsair. Great products, **** utilities to manage them.

I've started hunting around for alternative brands, but at this point it's going to cost too much to switch away, so I either deal with the high voltages, CPU boosting unnecessarily, and high temps because of iCUE, or I spend a few hundred dollars to replace all my peripherals with a different brand that has better management software.

I saw in an earlier thread you have a custom water loop. What kind of temps are you getting?

After I updated to 1.0.0.3AB, Windows 19.03, and latest chipset drivers my temps went from typical 50c down to 38c on the high performance power plan and iCue only bothers maybe only 1/2 of my cores at any particular time. If I switch to balanced power plan my temps tend to drop to 36c periodically.

Someone mentioned a program you can use to pin iCue to particular cores however if you want to do it simply without getting any special software you can disable iCue on startup and create a simple shortcut to start iCue on particular threads. For example the shortcut below starts iCue on threads 14 & 15 of my 8c/16t CPU.

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c start "iCue" /affinity C000 "C:\Program Files (x86)\Corsair\CORSAIR iCUE Software\iCUE.exe"

Doing this however may potentially limit iCue's responsiveness (probably should specify at least 2 threads) although honestly I don't bother with it anymore.

I wonder how much CPU overhead there is because it's going though Qt and 32-bit .NET though Wow64.

Maybe if Corsair can eliminate those layers and do native 64-bit Windows this would be a non-issue.

Edited by A Computer Guy

• 6 months later...

I got a Ryzen in Feburary 2020 and can confirm this is STILL a problem. I made sure to update my icue as well, but it's still doing this insanity.

These are both with Discord, Firefox, and Foobar2000 running as well.

Without iCue.exe running: 1.36754 average Core Voltage

unknown.png

With iCue.exe running: 1.43398 average Core Voltage

unknown.png

Average Core Clocks Without iCue.exe in Mhz(10 minute parse, I took a screenshot rather than scrolling and checking so I didn't see Core 8's number):

????

unknown.png

Average Core Clocks With iCue.exe in Mhz(10 minute parse):

????

unknown.png

The difference is even larger if I were to turn firefox,discord, and foobar off but I can't sit here for 10 minutes without my music running. Either way, the difference is pretty clear. It's ALWAYS over 1.4v when iCue is on, creating extra heat and boosting too high too often. Only an issue with Icue. annoying

Edited by Kougeru

• 4 months later...