Corsair Community

ASUS P5QL and XMS2 BIOS settings

hannibal11

Hello,

I have been having a number of problems with my PC, and one thing that was suggested was that the BIOS settings which by default are AUTO on my ASUS mobo can confuse the memory, or maybe the other way round.

A way to possibly resolve this, after memtest, prime95, furmark, sfc scannow etc had found nothing wrong, is to manually put in the settings for the memory in the BIOS. The BIOS version is up to date and I have 6GB (3x2) of XMS2 installed in the system.

As far as I can see the AI Tweaker on this mobo is the only place to put in the settings. I can get as far as putting in that it is DDR2 800 MHZ, but as to the voltages and latency, I do not know where to set these.

Grateful for any ideas please, and also whether anyone else has had issues with the auto settings for memory on the P5QL series. Thanks,

Hi-Thanks for getting back to me.

I might take the RAM out and let it run Dual Channel. Might be that which is confusing it as you suggest. I just realised that the memory it came with is XMS2, and the new chip is XMS2 DHX-I'm guessing they are the same thing except the DHX has more of a heat spreader?

Either way I still do not understand where to input the Voltage and latency settings on the BIOS. I found an image that looks almost the same as mine, except mine is set to auto for everything except for FSB which is 333 and DRAM Freq to DDR2 800MHz (the latter I inputted myself)?

Any ideas please? Thanks!

aitweaker.jpg.69857940b9e37ce6776259e7cbe94519.jpg

Hi Just wanted to check I have done this right please as am quite noob at the whole BIOS stuff:

Under Advanced>Chipset>Northbridge Config settings>DRAM Timing Control I have set this to Manual and changed the first 4 entries to correspond to the 5-5-5-18 latency settings of the XMS2 module. That is:

CAS# LATENCY - 5 DRAM CLOCKS

DRAM RAS# TO CAS# DELAY - 5 DRAM CLOCKS

DRAM RAS# PRECHARGE - 5 DRAM CLOCKS

RAS ACTIVATE TO PRECHARGE - 18 DRAM CLOCKS

The RAS ACTIVATE TO PRECHARGE under AUTO was at 15, not the 18 stated on the module, so this was the only thing that was changed from the default value coming out of AUTO settings.

Under AI Tweaker I set DRAM Frequency to DDR2 800MHz and the memory overvoltage to 1.85, since that is the lowest value and the only value I can see that would correspond to the Tested/SPD voltage of the module of 1.8V. That way less of the values are on AUTO.

Grateful if someone could confirm this is right please. Thank you!

Edit-BTW under these settings the system did not freeze the desktop after startup - hooray!!

Archived