The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Cooling

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2013, 09:17 PM
`~~`
wytnyt's PC Specs

POST ID # = 685655
wytnyt wytnyt Reputation: 159
Send a message via ICQ to wytnyt Send a message via AIM to wytnyt Send a message via Yahoo to wytnyt Send a message via Skype™ to wytnyt

users thought there were issues with the backplate being a tad loose before mounting the block but its supposed to be like this to aid in mounting.
i feel like corsair will do whatever possible to help with your issue,submit a rma and in the comment section,post this thread along with other particulars.
i must tho this is a first that honestly defies logic
if your interested in having no movement in the backplate,nylon washers work much better than rubber but neither should be necessary.
when you say it fails to post,are you getting an error such as no cpu fan detected?
im still concerned tho about your random issue,keep us posted...

Last edited by wytnyt; 12-03-2013 at 09:19 PM.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:43 PM
PXAbstraction's PC Specs

POST ID # = 685660
PXAbstraction Reputation: 10

The error I'm getting from the mainboard when it fails to POST is code 55 which on this board means memory initialization error. That's with the cooler's screws tightened down fully. If I loosen the screws to the cooler, the system boots up and will run normally for a random period of time (sometimes minutes, sometimes an hour or more) and then hard lock. When it does this, it's usually when the machine is under low load or has just come off a high load (i.e. I can reproduce it most of the time by encoding a video, it will lock shortly after the encoding finishes.) With the stock Intel cooler installed, the system thus far operates completely normally. I did check the backplate and screws on my old EVGA board and there is no movement when they're tightened down, which leads me to believe that the theory about newer boards being slightly thinner could be the issue. Maybe the screws not fitting tightly is grounding out on the case. All I know is that Corsair is now apparently including the rubber washers in the box with the H100 kit whereas they didn't before so that must have seen some kind of need for it. I really hope they can sort this cause yeah, I'm certainly not prepared to buy a new H100i to resolve this. :)

Old 12-03-2013, 09:51 PM
`~~`
wytnyt's PC Specs

POST ID # = 685663
Send a message via ICQ to wytnyt Send a message via AIM to wytnyt Send a message via Yahoo to wytnyt Send a message via Skype™ to wytnyt

what memory do you have,size and number of chips?,while im farrrr from an expert,,i dont see how anything related to the cpu area that can cause a memory fault.
im sure the washers were included when they started producing a couple m/b's that were thinner,also you wouldnt need to buy another cooler so long as your the initial owner as they have a 5 yr. warranty

Last edited by wytnyt; 12-03-2013 at 09:55 PM.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:54 PM
PXAbstraction's PC Specs

POST ID # = 685664

I use Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB DDR2133. From what I've read, an improper ground or bent CPU pin can cause an error 55 on this board. I checked and none of the CPU socket pins are bent to a significant degree. Even if they were, things wouldn't be fine with the Intel cooler. I agree this is incredibly weird but after testing with the Intel cooler, there's pretty much no doubt that the H100 is the cause of this issue in some way. :( I submitted a ticket and asked if it's possible to get the updated mounting kit or if it uses standard size rubber washers, if they could give me the exact dimensions so I can attempt to source them locally. We'll see what happens.

Last edited by PXAbstraction; 12-03-2013 at 09:57 PM.

Old 12-03-2013, 10:02 PM
`~~`
wytnyt's PC Specs

POST ID # = 685666

just out of the ballpark here but if your clocking the memory,have you tried clock speed or using just one chip.
from what you say it happens when the computer is working hard too.
sometimes the obvious is hardest to find,,least for me it seems

Old 12-05-2013, 02:43 PM
PXAbstraction's PC Specs

POST ID # = 685990

The memory is being run in XMP profile (which sets the timings Corsair says my memory can handle) but I am not pushing it beyond that. I actually had a lot of problems with this memory on my old EVGA board but it's fine on this one. I've now been running with the stock Intel cooler for almost 48 hours (without overclock of course) and the system's rock solid. I even did 45 minutes of video transcoding last night (which brought the CPU up to almost 95 degrees with this cooler which kinda' freaked me out) and it didn't miss a beat. But again, if the H100 is installed on this board, it's unstable, whether I have an overclock or not. I'm still waiting for Corsair to respond to my ticket about the updated mounting kit. I really hope they're able to just tell me the dimensions of those rubber washers cause there's two places in my city that might have something like them I can just go buy for like $0.50.

Old 12-05-2013, 04:30 PM
Support Assistant
peanutz94's PC Specs

POST ID # = 686012
peanutz94 Reputation: 84

Quote:
I really hope they're able to just tell me the dimensions of those rubber washers cause there's two places in my city that might have something like them I can just go buy for like $0.50.
There is no "updated mounting kit" They are not included in the mounting kits. You need to source them yourself. Just choose a size that fits over the mounting posts. all it needs to do is shim the cooling head. Something 2-3mm think is all you need. Take the backplate with you and if they fit over the little raised parts where the screws attach your good. It doesn't even need to be a washer , some people have used O rings and I have even seen someone use cardboard...but i wouldn't advise that move.

I suggested orderig a replacement mounting kit because i was suspect of the one you have because in your original post you said something about not being able to tighten the brackets enough.

There has to be something wrong with the mounts is all i can suggest. It's not an electrical grounding issue but it's definitely doing something weird to that board..which again we have never seen this before.

Last edited by peanutz94; 12-05-2013 at 04:37 PM.

Old 12-06-2013, 04:34 PM
PXAbstraction's PC Specs

POST ID # = 686226

Oh, I was under the impression that the newer mounting kits has the rubber o-rings. I thought I saw a photo of the kits coming with the new H100i that did have those. Well, there's a hardware store not too far from my house that's one of those places that has all kinds of oddball sizes and bits of stuff so I'll check with them. Hopefully the o-rings help cause yeah, having to replace my cooler for no good reason, not a pleasing thought. :) I'll let people know what happens.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:13 PM
Support Assistant
peanutz94's PC Specs

POST ID # = 686249
peanutz94 Reputation: 84

Please do, we are all curious about how this turns out.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:23 PM
`~~`
wytnyt's PC Specs

POST ID # = 686258

one thing if possible that will take lots out of the hair pulling is try this hydro in another computer

Old 12-06-2013, 10:44 PM
PXAbstraction's PC Specs

POST ID # = 686282

Quote:
Originally Posted by wytnyt View Post
one thing if possible that will take lots out of the hair pulling is try this hydro in another computer
The thought had occurred, follow by me taking a shot of something strong immediately after. ;) I do still have my old mainboard but...ugh. So I've found two local places that likely will have those rubber washers in stock. Going to try that first just to see. Barring that, maybe I'll try to throw my old board back in and see what happens. I'm really at a loss beyond that though. Really holding out hope rubber/nylon saves the day. :)

Old 12-08-2013, 07:51 PM
PXAbstraction's PC Specs

POST ID # = 686550

Alright, so I went to Ottawa Fastener Supply and found rubber o-rings that pretty much matched the ones shown in the thread linked back on the first page. I tried putting them on the bottom of the bracket like that thread showed but the studs didn't poke far enough into the mainboard holds for me to properly tighten it down. So instead, I tried putting them on the other side, between the bottom of the studs and the mainboard. The studs tightened down fine, just squeezing the o-rings under them.

No word of a lie guys, everything works perfectly! It's firmly tightened down, my overclock is in place and the system's run all day (including for 4 hours under Prime95 stress test) without missing a beat. It cost me a whopping $0.54 for the o-rings. I don't know how common this is (I suspect though I'm the only one who has posted about it, I'm far from the only one who has run into it) but if Corsair can stomach a few extra cents, this could probably save a lot of headaches for people and it doesn't appear to impact the cooler's performance whatsoever.

So yeah, weird problem, major pain in the backside but it's sorted and I'm quite pleased I'm back to running at 4.8Ghz with the chip cool as a cucumber. :) Thanks for your help.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:08 PM
`~~`
wytnyt's PC Specs

POST ID # = 686551

glad your up and running even tho this defies all logic,i guess this one for the mystery box...

Tags
h100, system freeze, system lock