Corsair Community

Just added another 512mb to my K8V Se Delux but...

-kreep

Hi all need a little help here if you can.

As you can see the spec of my machine at the bottom I won't waste too much time on specs.

Basically I bought another 512mb of the exact same ram for my machine, Corsair Value select, matching the same model number as the ones I have installed. I know the 1gb I've already got was a matched pair so was expecting a problem but...

...when i installed the new 512mb the comp started up and said something like: Memory Mismatch Timing. Then wouldn't start. I then tried each module individually, which worked fine sooooo, noticing that the first RAM slot was blue and the seconf 2 are yellow, I put the new 512 in the first slot and the Matched 512 pair in the yellow... Viola! it worked! I now have 1.5gb of ram....

But my gain in 3Dmark2005 was only about 200 points and in Sandra, it looked like I had lost performance!! BUT the stuttering had stopped alot in BF2 demo (which is why i got the new ram)....

What is the crack with this motherboard?? Have I shot myself in the foot by not going for 2gb matched pair? or am I just expecting too much from 512mb of ram?...

HELP?? Shocked

Asus K8V SE Deluxe Mother Board

Leadtek Geforce 6800 GT 256mb OC to Ultra

AMD Athlon64 3200+ 1mb L2 Cache (Clawhammer) OC 2.2Ghz

SoundBlaster Audigy 2 Z

2x512mb Corsair PC3200 DDR RAM

450w PSW

160gb SATA Western Digital HD

Windows XP Pro + SP2

Another question too....

:bigeyes:

I have dowloaded the manual here at work and had a look.

It looks like with Double sided or single sided memory in all 3 slots drops the speed of the ram!!

How do I know if the ram is DS or SS?? If it's DS in all 3 slots then it drops to DDR200! if it's SS in all 3 slots then it's DDR333! but...

...if I have SS or DS (i.e. my 512mb matched pair, 1gb) in only slot 1 and 2 it's DDR400!! Sooooo....

...am I gonna get a speed boost from this extra 512mb??

• Corsair Employee

All of our modules 512 Meg and larger at this time would be double sided.

And with this platform all of the modules would need to exactly matched. You should not mix Value Select and XMS3200C2 in this system as it will not work properly. Sorry.

The best would be to send the new module back and just get a Twinx2048-3200C2 set of modules if you need 2.0 Gig of memory.

Archived