Corsair Community

My h110i gt, is definitely not cooling like it should.

nafeasonto

I am getting around 35 degrees Celsius on Idle, and then it shoots up to 75 Celsius on load.

Now I heard people putting rubber grommets on the mounting plate, as the block is not sitting strong on the processor.

I just have WAY to much play with just the mounting plate on, but the block on it's snug, but definitely not tight enough on the block.

Some 100% loads it was going to 90, so this is very concerning.

Yeah everything is mounted correctly, and corsair link shows that the pump is running. It shows the pump is running at 6K rpm on performance and like 1200 on quiet. But I don't hear a noise difference at all. The temp seems to be stable at 34 celsius, but as soon as load happens on the CPU is just rises instantly, it hits 100 celsius. I put my hand on the radiator and I don't feel any warmth coming from it. But I put my face in front of it, I can feel the fans blowing warm air out of the radiator. I don't even know at this point.

I can't see the water heating up INSTANTLY like that.

I don't understand what is going on, and I put my hands on the hoses, and the pump I can feel water going through the hoses. Corsair link shows the pump IS running. I have the MSI gaming 7 motherboard. Z97, and I put corsair link on Balanced mode, the fans are always running loud. And no matter what speed I put the fans on, ti doesn't effect the temperature, at all.

I double checked and triple checked the mouting and the block is tight, no play, and if I remove the block you can defintely see by the thermal paste it definitely is making contact.

Edit: Hmm. I think I know what is going on, my motherboard is Auto voltaging the CPU to 1.5V on load, I don't know why. I need to go into the MB settings and check that.

Well if true, the 1.50v would certainly explain it. Obviously getting that figured out is job one. In regards to your other questions:

1) Double check the performance pump speed. I don't know what the high speed specification is for the H110GT, but 6,000 rpm is way too much. It's possible the pump divider was inadvertently changed and is giving am erroneous doubled reading in LINK. Unless something has changed, pump divider is 2 for all Corsair coolers.

2) In LINK, make sure you have assigned the H110's fans to the proper group under the tabs menu. They need to be put in the H110GT temperature row, which is the water temperature inside the unit. Common mistake to set them to run with CPU temps. As your water temps probably top out about 40C and the fan curves were designed around that as the control variable, anything just above idle would give you max fan speed.

Check that you haven't put any overclock jumpers or enabled overclock switches on the motherboard. That might be the cause.

If the motherboard has buttons to increase/decrease core voltage, press OC reset or CMOS clear. You might have accidentially touched these buttons during install, and if the motherboard do react to those buttons via the CMOS battery, there is possible that you increased the core voltage setting while the motherboard did had no Power. (since the CMOS battery can Power the BIOS chip)

Also check that you have any XMP profiles disabled. XMP profiles can often try to overclock the CPU to match up any memory overclock, and this can cause a mobo to overcompensate.

A motherboard should, in default setting, overclock the CPU when the temperatures are safe, up to about 0.2-0.4 GHz over stock speed, eg a 3.5 GHz is overclocked to 3.7-3.9 GHz. This is called "Turbo" and is often enabled by default.

The core voltage should NOT be automaticallly changed by this "Turbo" overclocking feature.

Well it's on 1.3V now at 4.4GHZ.

I7 4790K.

On idle it's 40 celsius.

On full load with Intel Stress Test, or Prime 95, max test. It still reaches 90 degrees.

On a blend test with Prime95 it gets to about 68.

I don't understand the difference between the two tests, and why the temperature is so widly different.

The temp of the actual H110i, is around 38 celsius, so I am assuming that the idle temp of the CPU is matching that. Seems I can't get any lower of temps with the H110i gt. The pump is running at 3K RPM, and I have the fans on the top in a pull configuration. Even at max speed, the temps really only go down like 3 degrees, and they sound like jet engines. Due to the size of my motherboard, andt his radiator in the H440, I can't fit fans on the bottom on the radiator for a PUSH to pull config.

The blend test puts less load on the CPU and some on the RAM, as opposed to the small/large FFT tests which are full throttle CPU. Blend is less CPU intensive, thus less heat.

1,30V for 4.4 sounds a little high. I don't have a 4790, but I seem to recall 1.25V being the tipping point where more voltage brings a lot more heat and small gains. You should be able to run a lower voltage for that setting -- even on the worst chip.

Don't worry about push/pull. The amount of air going through your radiator is not going to be the limiting factor on any Haswell chip. The fans that came with the H110i GT are more than enough. 38C is the water temperature inside the GT. Hopefully, that was after your stress tests or you have one very hot room.

The blend test puts less load on the CPU and some on the RAM, as opposed to the small/large FFT tests which are full throttle CPU. Blend is less CPU intensive, thus less heat.

1,30V for 4.4 sounds a little high. I don't have a 4790, but I seem to recall 1.25V being the tipping point where more voltage brings a lot more heat and small gains. You should be able to run a lower voltage for that setting -- even on the worst chip.

Don't worry about push/pull. The amount of air going through your radiator is not going to be the limiting factor on any Haswell chip. The fans that came with the H110i GT are more than enough. 38C is the water temperature inside the GT. Hopefully, that was after your stress tests or you have one very hot room.

Yeah so on small/large fft test with Prime95, the temp shoots to 95 celsius. On OCCT stress test, it stays at 60 - celsius. Eventually reaching around 74.

I am not sure if that's normal, or Corsair Link is not reading the pump right. Because no matter what I put the pump speed on, it stays at 35 celsius on the block itself. So maybe I have bad thermal paste? I don't even know at this point.

Really want to know what's going on? Is it the voltage at 1.3? Should I just try the chip at stock? I mean I got the water cooler for the purpose of overclocking.

I am not sure why you are determined to bring a notoriously taxing stress test in line with all your other tests with better numbers, especially considering Prime95 has no real world value unless you are short a space heater.

If you want to cut some degrees off your top end, you are going to need to trim up your overclock a little. Certainly chips vary, but look at the casual results from this AnandTech review. Typically, they don't push extreme limits so these are going be pretty average and attainable numbers.

http://images.anandtech.com/doci/8227/3%20i7-4790K%20OC_575px.png

Note how the auto-voltage takes it up to 1.27 when stress testing, and the resulting temperature. It also suggests you have a pretty hefty chunk of excess voltage on your VCore. This is likely done on test bench, so it ignores real world consequences of working in a case and other environmental factors. Don't take them as hard target numbers, but rather comparative temperature changes between voltage levels. All things considered, OCCT between 60-74, inside a case, and at 1.30V, is a pretty good number. Still, I think you will be happier when you trim that voltage back a bit.

Yes, you can't just raise the multiplier and let the CPU compensate on Haswell. It really throws on the voltage, as the graph indicates. There are a ton of 4790K overclocking guides out there. Read through them In the professional reviews, most will state they use a fixed voltage at whatever voltage they're trying. This is for testing consistency. You probably don't want to run fixed voltage for normal use as it will run 4.4 all the time, ignoring c-states and other off-peak power saving features. You can usually set the adaptive voltage to whatever you need, and then set the offset to 0 (or .001). The graph gives you a target to start from of 1.20V for 4.4Ghz. That one should be easily attainable.

Archived