Corsair Community

H100i V2 Surging

GamingJohn

Hey guys,

I've recently built my new computer and thing have been going great; but I'm having a small issue I'm hoping someone can resolve:

I've noticed when I'm scrolling on web pages such as Facebook, Forums etc. if I'm not touching the mouse and not scrolling, my PC is almost dead quite, as soon as I scroll to read more or continue on the page, the fans on my H100i V2 begin to operate at maximum speeds which is super loud.

Also; when just sitting on my desktop with nothing open, my computer is silent, as soon as I open a game such as Fortnite and I'm just sitting in the lobby waiting for the game to begin, my H100i V2 fans again will start to blow at 100% until I exit the game.

This is super frustrating and loud - is there any simliar issues anyone has experienced or any kind of resolution to this? Thanks.

2 things to check,,

You have it plugged into the CPU header and that header set to 100% in Bios?

or

Have you set the fans to react to CPU package rather than liquid temp (default and best option).

if it's set to CPU package then it will make your fans ramp up and down regular as its such an unstable temp source.. liquid temp is the better option as ultimately this is what your fans are trying to cool...

2 things to check,,

You have it plugged into the CPU header and that header set to 100% in Bios?

or

Have you set the fans to react to CPU package rather than liquid temp (default and best option).

if it's set to CPU package then it will make your fans ramp up and down regular as its such an unstable temp source.. liquid temp is the better option as ultimately this is what your fans are trying to cool...

How do I check to see if I’ve set the fans to react to the CPU rather than the liquid temp?

Are you using Link or iCUE to control the system?

For Link, Click on the fan reading in the "H100i v2" Box . This will create a pop up graph. The "group" should be H100i v2 Temp (coolant temperature). The group is the control variable.

For iCUE, go to the H100i v2 Tab from the main panel. What are you using for a fan curve? If custom curve, you will see a drop down box at the bottom. Unfortunately, the names of all those variable choices are truncated. Scroll down until you find H100i v2 Temp. You will want to adjust your curve if you made it for CPU temp points in the 60-80C range. Coolant temps typically run from 20-40C.

Open Corsair Link and under your H100i V2 click the little red circle next to your fan RPM. Under the Group setting make sure that H100i V2 is selected.

It is set to the H100i V2; however; my fan RPM speed is showing 0 but both fans are spinning.

http://i66.tinypic.com/igz14n.jpg

OK, the zero can mean two things. 1) As Zotty inquired about in the first post, are your radiator fans connected to the cooler/pump block? Or the motherboard? If to the motherboard, than Link will show zero and we are in the wrong place to change their speed (although you may want to put them on the pump controller to resolve this).

2) If the fans are connected to pump, then the internal fan controller may have an issue. It would explain the surging and this model should never show zero rpm.

Can you double click on the "0 rpm" in the H100iv2 Box and tell us what you see?

OK, the zero can mean two things. 1) As Zotty inquired about in the first post, are your radiator fans connected to the cooler/pump block? Or the motherboard? If to the motherboard, than Link will show zero and we are in the wrong place to change their speed (although you may want to put them on the pump controller to resolve this).

2) If the fans are connected to pump, then the internal fan controller may have an issue. It would explain the surging and this model should never show zero rpm.

Can you double click on the "0 rpm" in the H100iv2 Box and tell us what you see?

I honestly have so many wires everywhere in the back of the case that I don't know whats connected to what anymore :eek: :eek: :eek: I'll have to check later today. I'm just afraid to start pulling wires and never get it back to how it is now lol.

http://i64.tinypic.com/2qb7o1k.png

This is what shows when I double click the 0RPM.

• 1 month later...

Yes, we generally recommend CPU fan as the control header for a couple reasons. 1) something has to be on CPU fan to boot. 2) CPU fan is generally limited to CPU temp only and on Asus boards there are often hidden behavior parameters designed for safety with air towers. Quick fan reactions aren't really an asset with a case fan, so this makes it a nice place to park the H100i v2 header which doesn't need any controlling - just a constant 100%/12v signal. 3) When on CPU fan, if something were to happen to the cooler on power on, you would get an immediate BIOS CPU fan boot error letting you know something drastic went wrong. This is the same error message you get when nothing is there, as in point 1.

Remember the H100i v2 has its own internal fan controller for the radiator fans. You don't use the BIOS or AI Suite to change fan and pump speeds. That will not work out well.

Archived