Corsair Community

Quick question about Balanced mode fan RPM being ~400 for H100i Pro

My H100i pro is running without any custom fan curve or anything. I’m just curious as the fan speed seems rather low (despite my temps being very good) on balanced mode. On balanced, the pump speed is 2100 rpm and the two fans average around 400 rpm each. If I bump it up to extreme, the fans go up to 1200 rpm each.

This seems to be a rather large degree of difference. However, I just want to know if this is working as intended or if there’s something wrong with the speed of balanced. Again, my temps are fine, but I’m just wondering if that’s normal and why there’s such a huge jump to the next level.

400 rpm sounds low for anything except maybe sub 23C coolant temp numbers. That is essentially the fan minimum. All three presets (Quiet/Balanced/Extreme) are based on coolant temp. You can see their data points by creating a custom curve (+), then selecting one of the three shape tools in the upper right hand corner.

As for the issue at hand, make a custom curve and then select fixed % or RPM. Run them up and down at a few numbers to make sure the respond. Then select the middle shape tool graph. This is now your "new" balanced preset. See if that behaves according to the dots. We haven't preset issues in quite a while, so I am not sure what's going on.

400 rpm sounds low for anything except maybe sub 23C coolant temp numbers. That is essentially the fan minimum. All three presets (Quiet/Balanced/Extreme) are based on coolant temp. You can see their data points by creating a custom curve (+), then selecting one of the three shape tools in the upper right hand corner.

As for the issue at hand, make a custom curve and then select fixed % or RPM. Run them up and down at a few numbers to make sure the respond. Then select the middle shape tool graph. This is now your "new" balanced preset. See if that behaves according to the dots. We haven't preset issues in quite a while, so I am not sure what's going on.

This thread seems to be similar to what I'm experiencing: https://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182188

I mean, my temperatures never exceed 36 celcius on full load so temps are good. I just don't understand why it's so low.

That is a long and rambling thread, mostly about wanting to have a free hand to set the pump speed to whatever the user wants. Your issue appears to be the balanced curve not following orders.

I would try the suggestion above or if you think it is a software glitch, go to your windows settings -> apps list and left click in Corsair iCUE. Select modify to perform a repair install. This won’t delete your data. The fans should not be sitting at 400 rpm at 36C coolant temp.

• 5 months later...

so i had this Exact same question and spent a lot of time searching to find the answer.. finally after piecing together info from different forums the answer that makes the most sense is: iCue bases the CPU fan temp off of the fluid temp not the CPU.. you Can have it run off the CPU temp ......but you kind of don't wanna, Because it focuses on the "Package" temp which jumps super erratically and your fans would just throttle up and down constantly (wouldn't THAT be annoying!)...

Annnnyways... my fans and pump run *roughly around the same as you so i understand your worries. "hey why the eff is everything else running at like 900ish on quiet and these MFer's are running at like 600 OR LESS on balance?" but all is well in the land of Oz my friend :)

- like the saying says, if it ain't broke don't fix it.. or in this Case (lol) if your temperatures are ok, GAME ON! <3

Yes, the AIO coolers and any water cooled system should use the liquid temp (H1xx Temp) as the control variable. Besides the annoying fan speed changes, the system doesn't work that way. All coolers are 'heat disposal' devices and not heat prevention. There is nothing you can do with fan or pump settings to stop the CPU from getting hot when voltage is applied. The cooler keeps it from getting worse, but that first step of heat transfer in all conductive (pins->CPU->Cold Plate of cooler). The fans and pump are your settings for removing heat from the liquid, not the CPU directly. If no change in liquid temp, then more fan speed won't reduce CPU temps.

You can duplicate any of the three presets in the custom curve panel so you can see what it's doing and make tiny changes around your idle level to keep things tuned quietly. Performance tab, click the + in that menu bar. A graph should appear below. In the top right corner of the graph are 3 shape tools that correspond to the three presets, except the points are now changeable. There is no "you should be at liquid temp X". It is almost entirely based on your room/interior case temperature and you will see seasonal fluctuations. That likely means you need to tweak the curve between Winter and Summer, especially at the idle baseline.

• 6 months later...

https://ibb.co/wLFNgDH

im using Balanced profile...and the QL fan go like if they was settign on Extreme...some day ago i dind't have this problem...it comes randomly.

How can i fix it ?

My configuration is:

MOBO\commander pro\ 3x QL FAN on 350 capellix

\ 3 QL fan's rgb cable on rgb hub

\ capellix pump connected to commander core ( only this )

the problem is about corsair fun go on 1200-1300 rpm when my cpu is at 30-33 C°

Thank you all !!

i notice somethinh'strange just now...

corsair software say my cpu is at 30.60C°

ASUS ROG app my mobo is at 30C°, CPU package 30C° and Chipset at 55 C° !!!!

which app is lying ?

Edited by sirioilmago

• 2 weeks later...
  • Corsair Employee

If the temps are good, the fans can idle down to lower speeds as necessary. Different fans will handle this differently.

Chipset isn't the same as CPU, 55c for Chipset is pretty much expected.

If your fans are too loud, create a custom curve lowering the average speed, if temps are too high, raise your curve some.