Corsair Community

Faulty RM1000x

whitlock1987

Hi all,

Bought this PSU early in the pandemic before the prices sky rocketed.

Died after 4 months of use. Bought a new 24 Pin cable to test, system runs for 5/10 mins then dies. Unplugging kettle lead from PSU and waiting for MB to drain will let system boot again, but dies after another 5/10mins.

Jump starting PSU with paperclip spins the fan for a few secs (I know it isn't constant unless high temps), then leaving it off for a min or so and attempting to jump again fails.

Using an older AX850 gold the system now runs fine.

Pretty disappointing - sharing for others that may be experiencing similar with their unit.

• Corsair Employee

Pretty disappointing - sharing for others that may be experiencing similar with their unit.

I wish for once someone would come into these forums and post, "Just wanted to say I have had zero issues with my CX750M. Sharing for others that may also be interested." Makes this whole forum 99% full of negativety.

These forums are for end users to help troubleshoot. Not just to lay down a complaint then scurry off.

Sarcasm aside..... You did not try using the 24-pin from the AX850 on the RM10000x, did you? Because they're not pin compatible.

And what made you think to try a different 24-pin cable in the first place?

I have a dead PSU so I'm not going to pretend I'm happy. I'm sorry if you are upset by that.

No, I know the AX850 cables aren't compatible - they're listed as 'AX 850 only'

I tried a different 24 pin cable because the way the cables route in my case is sharp for the mobo power - clutching at straws to think I could have damaged a wire.

I almost convinced myself it was the mobo until I tired AX vs RM with nothing plugged in than the 24 pin and a single case fan. AX worked fine whereas the RM spun for like a quarter of a second before giving up the ghost

Edited by whitlock1987

• Corsair Employee
I have a dead PSU so I'm not going to pretend I'm happy. I'm sorry if you are upset by that.

Not upset. And I'm not saying you should pretend to be happy. But you literally just posted a complaint with no intention to follow up and disguised it as "just leaving it here hoping it helps others" when it provided no actual useful information.

No, I know the AX850 cables aren't compatible - they're listed as 'AX 850 only'

I tried a different 24 pin cable because the way the cables route in my case is sharp for the mobo power - clutching at straws to think I could have damaged a wire.

Ok. But you'd be VERY surprised how many people do not know modular cables are not interchangible. I see people try to use EVGA cables on Corsair PSUs. Thermaltake cables on Seasonic PSUs. And then, when they don't work or something gets fried, it's the PSUs fault and not user error.

I almost convinced myself it was the mobo until I tired AX vs RM with nothing plugged in than the 24 pin and a single case fan. AX worked fine whereas the RM spun for like a quarter of a second before giving up the ghost

As long as you're sure the 24-pin you tried as a replacement was a Type 4 cable, I guess thats that.

Very strange for an RM1000x to die after only four months. Wish you could send it back to Corsair for failure analysis.

I have had power supplies last for many years. I have had the odd one die but nothing lasts forever.

I have noticed Corsair PSU choices are limited right now but I hope more stock will surface so that those who want to do a build can get what they need.