Corsair Community

Advice to set up H150i XT and 10 QL fans

pontageek

I am planning for a build for someone else using Lian Li OD11 XL case. With that case, the plan is to install H150i XT as side intake using push pull setup, 3 bottom intake, 3 top exhaust, and 1 rear exhaust. The idea is to use H150i XT to control all fans speed because I want to use coolant temperature as control parameter instead of motherboard's CPU temp signal. So this is the diagram that I come up with:

https://imgur.com/2MOdYtn

So from H150i XT there will be 3 cables. Plan: one to control 3 ML120 fans, one to control intake fans, and the last one to control exhaust fans. I group the intake fans together and I plan to make a fan curve identical to the ML120 fans so that they spin at the same RPM (or almost the same).

So the questions are:

1. Will the diagram above work? Will it overload the H150i XT? I know that the more elegant solution is to purchase commander pro to control some of the fans, but it's quite pricey for a fan control hub.

2. I need 4 USB 2.0 headers and the motherboard only has 2 headers. Can I use this? This header has no SATA power, my current PC use this header to connect to 2 lighting node pro and it works fine but I'm not sure if connected to LNC or the AIO.

https://www.amazon.com/Header-Extension-Splitter-Connector-Adapter/dp/B076Q8685Y

Thank you for any suggestion.

1688049947_Coolingdiagram.thumb.JPG.819deb9162eef32fbade013c73f9133b.JPG

Edited by pontageek

I advice you to absolutely grab a Commander Pro... I see no reason in spending over 300€ for RGB fans and saving about 50€ for an item that is the real core of every Corsair-centered build.

Anyway, in both cases I would not rely on a non powered USB hub. We read quite often about problems with Corsair's stuff not being properly powered.

Finally I'm not sure that the single SATA header of the AIO (made to support 3 fans) can deliver enough power for 13 fans, but I'm not expert about doing those calculations.

Baio

I advice you to absolutely grab a Commander Pro... I see no reason in spending over 300€ for RGB fans and saving about 50€ for an item that is the real core of every Corsair-centered build.

Anyway, in both cases I would not rely on a non powered USB hub. We read quite often about problems with Corsair's stuff not being properly powered.

Finally I'm not sure that the single SATA header of the AIO (made to support 3 fans) can deliver enough power for 13 fans, but I'm not expert about doing those calculations.

Baio

Thank you for your input.

I'm thinking about grabbing commander pro, but even with that to properly connect 10 fans you need 2 commander pros. Plus with CoPro to use coolant temp as control variable, you need iCUE to always running on the background (or use one of the temp sensor as input to control fan speed). So I thought that even if I buy CoPro, I still could not achieve the plan without a tweak.

I forgot to mention that I took this idea (sort of) from this thread and developed it from there:

https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=173880&t=173880

The fan hub Deepcool fh-10 is sata powered, so power for 13 fans will be spread out theoretically. I found example of using 2 fan connections but not all 3.

I'm not sure about the usb header splitter. In the reviews many said it's working fine (some said not working) and I am using one as well right now to connect 2 LNP. But AIO and LNC are different thing, so I'm looking for someone who has tried that.

Edited by pontageek

Thank you for your input.

I'm thinking about grabbing commander pro, but even with that to properly connect 10 fans you need 2 commander pros.

Why 2 CoPros?

You can use fan hubs connected to a single port. It's a good idea with the case you're planning to use (and I'm using), as fans can be grouped in 3 and will be controlled by iCue as one fan.

Plus with CoPro to use coolant temp as control variable, you need iCUE to always running on the background (or use one of the temp sensor as input to control fan speed). So I thought that even if I buy CoPro, I still could not achieve the plan without a tweak.

Even RGB effects are not the same with or without iCue running in background. The effects you can input as "hardware" (=without iCue running) are few.

I forgot to mention that I took this idea (sort of) from this thread and developed it from there:

https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=173880&t=173880

The fan hub Deepcool fh-10 is sata powered, so power for 13 fans will be spread out theoretically. I found example of using 2 fan connections but not all 3.

If the hub is powered, it's ok.

Can't answer for the AIO's headers, I'm controlling just 6 fans with the AIO using just 3 Y splitters.

I'm not sure about the usb header splitter. In the reviews many said it's working fine (some said not working) and I am using one as well right now to connect 2 LNP. But AIO and LNC are different thing, so I'm looking for someone who has tried that.

If it's not powered, probably it won't deliver enough power for all that stuff.

Baio

Why 2 CoPros?

You can use fan hubs connected to a single port. It's a good idea with the case you're planning to use (and I'm using), as fans can be grouped in 3 and will be controlled by iCue as one fan.

Even RGB effects are not the same with or without iCue running in background. The effects you can input as "hardware" (=without iCue running) are few.

If the hub is powered, it's ok.

Can't answer for the AIO's headers, I'm controlling just 6 fans with the AIO using just 3 Y splitters.

If it's not powered, probably it won't deliver enough power for all that stuff.

Baio

I thought you can only do 8 max per CoPro from reading the FAQ. How many fans do you connect to your CoPro?

I unfortunately cannot use Y splitter for the push pull because the ML and QL fans are rated at different max speed.

You're correct, most likely iCue will be set up as startup apps lol : D

I thought you can only do 8 max per CoPro from reading the FAQ. How many fans do you connect to your CoPro?

Here is the diagram of my current rig:

Ultimo.jpg

Formerly I had 9 LL120 fans connected to the CoPro via Y splitters and they worked great. Usually 9 fans is the maximum numberd adviced here, someone is ok with 10 but I assume it depends on how many current (=RPM) you set.

I unfortunately cannot use Y splitter for the push pull because the ML and QL fans are rated at different max speed.

This is not a great issue if the difference is not so great (I mean 1 fan has maximum 1500 RPM and the other 3000).

Y splitters have 1 4 pin and 1 3 pin headers, just plug the fastest fan to the 4 pin, the slowest will spins at it's own best.

As you can see I have 3 ML (master) and 3 QL (slave) on the AIO, and the work well.

You're correct, most likely iCue will be set up as startup apps lol : D

Let's hope Corsair releases a better version one day or the other...

Baio

Here is the diagram of my current rig:

Ultimo.jpg

Formerly I had 9 LL120 fans connected to the CoPro via Y splitters and they worked great. Usually 9 fans is the maximum numberd adviced here, someone is ok with 10 but I assume it depends on how many current (=RPM) you set.

This is not a great issue if the difference is not so great (I mean 1 fan has maximum 1500 RPM and the other 3000).

Y splitters have 1 4 pin and 1 3 pin headers, just plug the fastest fan to the 4 pin, the slowest will spins at it's own best.

As you can see I have 3 ML (master) and 3 QL (slave) on the AIO, and the work well.

Let's hope Corsair releases a better version one day or the other...

Baio

Ah I see that you have almost the same setup that I'm planning for. Nice setup!

The problem with Y splitter with ML fans (that are supplied with H150i XT) and QL fans, when let's say I set the fan to run at 50% at iCue, the ML will spin at 1200 RPM whereas the Ql will spin at 750 RPM. That's pretty huge difference. H150i pro ML fans are rated max 1600 RPM, quite identical with QL so your use case is good, they match up pretty nicely.

So now you're using sata powered fan hub connected to CoPro, before you went with 9 fans plugged there. If I may ask, why did you move the 3 fan control to Y splitter with the AIO?

I still think that theoretically if the hub is powered by sata, it should not overload the AIO or CoPro.

So you use NZXT internal usb header, I agree better safe than sorry. The price is not that difference, it looks cleaner too.

Thank you again for lending your thoughts. It's great to exchange ideas before pulling the trigger.

Edited by pontageek

I am not aware of anyone who has used the H150i/XT like a 3 channel fan controller with a PWM hub for each taking on the current load. Theoretically, it should work.

However, my first thought ran to using a Commander Pro as well in addition to at least 1 PWM hub. That covers the 10 fans and might be tidier than 3 hubs. This also allows you get the cheaper but also more useful LED extension kit. It does not have the LNP, but does have 4 very valuable extensions. The Commander has 2 RGB channels for the two sets of strips. It also has 2 USB passthrough ports for the two Core devices handling the fan lighting. So the Commander has a definite cost, but that may be entirely offset by the savings on the LED kits and 1-2 less PWM hubs, and USB 2 hub. The additional benefit is you get more complex control options with more fine tuning available. Ultimately, you'll have to do the pricing on your end to see how that works out.

There is one possible negative. If this is an AMD x570 build, a lot of users have issues with the USB connections through the Commander and with the cooler. Many wind up needing to get a USB hub to act as an intermediary. If that is the build here, then it would be unfortunate to choose the Commander plan, then be forced to get the USB 2 hub anyway.

I am not aware of anyone who has used the H150i/XT like a 3 channel fan controller with a PWM hub for each taking on the current load. Theoretically, it should work.

However, my first thought ran to using a Commander Pro as well in addition to at least 1 PWM hub. That covers the 10 fans and might be tidier than 3 hubs. This also allows you get the cheaper but also more useful LED extension kit. It does not have the LNP, but does have 4 very valuable extensions. The Commander has 2 RGB channels for the two sets of strips. It also has 2 USB passthrough ports for the two Core devices handling the fan lighting. So the Commander has a definite cost, but that may be entirely offset by the savings on the LED kits and 1-2 less PWM hubs, and USB 2 hub. The additional benefit is you get more complex control options with more fine tuning available. Ultimately, you'll have to do the pricing on your end to see how that works out.

There is one possible negative. If this is an AMD x570 build, a lot of users have issues with the USB connections through the Commander and with the cooler. Many wind up needing to get a USB hub to act as an intermediary. If that is the build here, then it would be unfortunate to choose the Commander plan, then be forced to get the USB 2 hub anyway.

Thank you c-attack for your input. It will be AMD X570 build, I'll keep that in mind when deciding on which solution to choose.

CoPro will be more sophisticated solution as you will get temp sensors as well with the purchase and more control down the road. However as builder I also want to see if this unconventional solution works or not just for fun. But you're correct at the end total cost will be the main deciding factor.

Ah I see that you have almost the same setup that I'm planning for. Nice setup!

Thanks mate, it's be a funny build to create! :biggrin:

The problem with Y splitter with ML fans (that are supplied with H150i XT) and QL fans, when let's say I set the fan to run at 50% at iCue, the ML will spin at 1200 RPM whereas the Ql will spin at 750 RPM. That's pretty huge difference. H150i pro ML fans are rated max 1600 RPM, quite identical with QL so your use case is good, they match up pretty nicely.

That's true but keep in mind that a push/pull configuration of the AIO carries little advantages in cooling if we speak of degress... maybe a couple of Celsius and maybe just at high RPMs.

In my build I've put the 3 QL fans on the radiator more for aesthetic than cooling reasons, so RPM difference between fans impacts in very little way, mostly if you think I've set a very quiet custom curve for the AIO.

Actually I have a 3700x without OC (just RAM fine tuning), so I don't need the AIO full cooling capabilities.

So now you're using sata powered fan hub connected to CoPro, before you went with 9 fans plugged there. If I may ask, why did you move the 3 fan control to Y splitter with the AIO?

The original plan was to use 3 powered fan hubs to have a more precise control over the 3 fan's group (bottom, side and top), but asking around I've understood that very different RPM between fans in push/pull could carry to a non adequate airflow through the AIO, so decided to give up.

Other reason is that the back space in this Lian Li case is not so much and I had to stick in a lot of stuff... here is a photo (it was a work in progress, not definitive):

Retro.jpg

I still think that theoretically if the hub is powered by sata, it should not overload the AIO or CoPro.

So you use NZXT internal usb header, I agree better safe than sorry. The price is not that difference, it looks cleaner too.

Thank you again for lending your thoughts. It's great to exchange ideas before pulling the trigger.

My pleasure! ;):

Baio

Thanks mate, it's be a funny build to create! :biggrin:

That's true but keep in mind that a push/pull configuration of the AIO carries little advantages in cooling if we speak of degress... maybe a couple of Celsius and maybe just at high RPMs.

In my build I've put the 3 QL fans on the radiator more for aesthetic than cooling reasons, so RPM difference between fans impacts in very little way, mostly if you think I've set a very quiet custom curve for the AIO.

Actually I have a 3700x without OC (just RAM fine tuning), so I don't need the AIO full cooling capabilities.

The original plan was to use 3 powered fan hubs to have a more precise control over the 3 fan's group (bottom, side and top), but asking around I've understood that very different RPM between fans in push/pull could carry to a non adequate airflow through the AIO, so decided to give up.

Other reason is that the back space in this Lian Li case is not so much and I had to stick in a lot of stuff... here is a photo (it was a work in progress, not definitive):

Retro.jpg

My pleasure! ;):

Baio

Yes, I fully understand that push pull setup won't affect degC and it's simply more airflow to counter pressure drop through the radiator. As intake, it's always good to have as much as air to enter the case.

I use H115i rgb platinum in my current PC setup, ran as intake push pull setup. I use 2 Y splitter, 1 fan cable from H115i controls 2 original ML140 rgb fans (rated max 2000 rpm) and the other cable controls 2 additional ML140 rgb fans (rated max 1200 rpm) --> if I plug the master to both faster fans and slave to slower fans, I'd have fan speed discrepancy problem. I control and synchronize the speed of those fans in iCue at max 1100 rpm. This is where I got an idea to run all fans with AIO as control.

The back of the case is so crowded, imagine the time needed for cable management lol (thanks for the visualization). I plan to left both drive cages inside too, I don't know if I have the space to mount the fan hub, LNC, LNP, and usb hub. Well, challenge accepted!

Yes, I fully understand that push pull setup won't affect degC and it's simply more airflow to counter pressure drop through the radiator. As intake, it's always good to have as much as air to enter the case.

I use H115i rgb platinum in my current PC setup, ran as intake push pull setup. I use 2 Y splitter, 1 fan cable from H115i controls 2 original ML140 rgb fans (rated max 2000 rpm) and the other cable controls 2 additional ML140 rgb fans (rated max 1200 rpm) --> if I plug the master to both faster fans and slave to slower fans, I'd have fan speed discrepancy problem. I control and synchronize the speed of those fans in iCue at max 1100 rpm. This is where I got an idea to run all fans with AIO as control.

The back of the case is so crowded, imagine the time needed for cable management lol (thanks for the visualization). I plan to left both drive cages inside too, I don't know if I have the space to mount the fan hub, LNC, LNP, and usb hub. Well, challenge accepted!

Cable management took quite long but IMHO it was essential... and I've also ordered custom cables for the PSU (not only the ones visible in the front, also the SATA connections), just to get rid off more cables as possible.

My plan was to attach every piece at the case, leaving nothing "flying" around. Honestly I can't immagine how sticking all that stuff and leaving the HDD cage... :eek:

Baio