Corsair Community

Corsair Onei165 GPU upgradability from Nvidia 2080 Ti future release 3080 Ti?

RadOne

I currently have 2 corsiar one i165 computers with RTX 2080 TI. I am planning to buy another 3. I'm working on a project that requires 5 networked computers for a VR project.

My question is - will the new Nvidia 3080 TI be just be a simple swap plug and play into emu xisting computers or will it require newer hardware? I know details are more than scant, but what is the thought process here? I just don't want to lock myself into obsolete hardware. Is it better to buy another computer package instead?

• Corsair Employee

Short answer - you could swap graphics cards.

Long answer - Swapping a graphics card in a CORSAIR ONE is possible, but you likely won't be able to reuse the same liquid cooling solution we provide for the RTX 20-Series as NVIDIA often changes mounting patterns for cooling between generations (generally the entire layout of the board changes significantly enough that a custom solution needs to be made for each generation). That said, you could swap the 20-series card for a 30-series (or whatever it'll be called) assuming the card physically fits and the power requirements are roughly the same. You just wouldn't be able to take advantage of the liquid cooling we provide with the 20-series card.

• 4 weeks later...
And will you offer a service to upgrade the GPU with your custom cooking solution? I just bought a i164 thinking that it was future proof and would run just as well (if at all, slightly hotter). Do you think Corsair would charge a GPU upgrade service like this?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Hi guys.

Unfortunately, at this time we don't have anything in the works regarding an upgrade service to a new GPU for the i164.

You guys most definitely should implement such a service when the 3000 series RTX cards release. We can’t all afford to buy a whole new system every few years. I’m sure many of us would pay a fair premium for such a service.

You guys most definitely should implement such a service when the 3000 series RTX cards release. We can’t all afford to buy a whole new system every few years. I’m sure many of us would pay a fair premium for such a service.

My i160 is the best computer I've ever owned. But when it comes time to upgrade, I don't know that I'd buy one again -- because it's not really upgradeable. But, if they sold a GPU upgrade kit, even at a premium, I'd buy that in a heartbeat.