Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > General HoH Stuff > General Questions

Notices

Old 12-19-2008, 03:34 PM
C5D's PC Specs

POST ID # = 381243
C5D Reputation: 10
Default problem

I have somewhat the same issue.

I got the system for about 3 weeks now, but it hasn't been stable at all, first i had to RMA the 9600 dus to a bad batch, but it's still not ok.

Bios recognizes ram as 1066(manually set, otherwise 800) , although it sets the voltage much lower than 2.1,
and the latencies are 5-7-7-24. Everest recognizes the ram to be run at 800mhz (EPP at 1066mhz 5-5-5-15). I first thought the reboots and blue screens were due to bad spinspoints, so i did the full tests on all of them with Hutil, no errors on all disks. Then i tried Memtest86+ and that one gave me no errors on most tests, except NR7 (361 errors) and recognizes the ram as CAS 5-7-7-24 (just like the bios does, but for memtest it's DDR3, which it obviously isn't) and said: 1 error:
Slot: 0 -> 0
Slot: 1 -> 1
Slot: 2 -> 0
Slot: 3 -> 1

I'll flash the bios later to F5 (i've been from F3 to F4 but just discovered F5 is out) and leave everything default (in bios) and see if this bios knows which memory it uses.

My question is: Do you think 1 of my 2 dominator sets was from a bad batch? Or would it be purely bios related? And can i SAFELY manually set the cas and volt regarding the corsair prescription (5-5-5-15 / 2.1v) since 2.1v seems to be a very high value for this particular mobo.

Last edited by Wired; 12-22-2008 at 06:24 PM. Reason: thread split; specs moved to profile
Old 12-19-2008, 04:42 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 381252
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

Try clearing your BIOS, and setting the timings manually and the voltage to 2.1v or, +.3v on a Gigabyte MOBO. Then, test each module with Memtest individually for 3-5 passes each to verify that you do not have a weak or failing module.

www.memtest.org

Keep in mind also that you are not likely going to be able to run 4 modules at 1066 due to the limits of the memory controller. Also, EPP profiles do not work with Intel chipsets so all changes to the memory will need to be made manually.
Old 12-20-2008, 10:28 AM
C5D's PC Specs

POST ID # = 381302
Default Same ram

I've got the same memory, 4 sticks. Initially my UD3R mobo detected them default to be 800mhz with CAS 5 - 7 - 7 - 24 at 1.8v, i've set them manually to 2.1v and the 5-5-5-15 (it seems to auto detect those values when setting the XMP to Extreme too except you still have to set the voltage right).

Testing them with bios F4 on defaults gave me an error after 1h 16minutes in test #7 (i ran the test once)
Testing them with XMP or setting it manually in F5 gives me an error after about 5minutes. I've included a screenshot. Memory timings are detected correctly this time, but the errors get detected much sooner.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 12-22-2008, 05:38 AM
C5D's PC Specs

POST ID # = 381429

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM GUY View Post
Also, EPP profiles do not work with Intel chipsets so all changes to the memory will need to be made manually.
Thanks for the advice, i've been running tests (all 1 complete pass) the other day, and i'll post my results here. Screenshots will be upped later since this part i'm doing at work

Note: A, B & A+B was used as a separator to get 2 sticks with the same serial separate. The long number sequence before the letter is the SN. Bios is F5.
DEFAULT: means the mobo was set to run it's fail safe defaults
MANUAL: XMP disabled, DDR profile STANDARD, volt increase from stock 1.8 to corsairs recommended 2.1. All tests 1 full pass.

SINGLE CHANNEL (all tested in slot 0 )

08330852-A:
DEFAULT: PASS
MANUAL: PASS

08330852-B:

08370119-A:

08370119-B:

So now the DUAL CHANNEL testing:

08330852-A&B in slot 0-2

08330852-A&B in slot 1-3
MANUAL: First time the computer powered up, but i didn't get the bios loaded, i removed them, refitted them, and then they PASSED

08370119-A&B in slot 0-2

08370119-A&B in slot 1-3
MANUAL: First time the computer powered up but shut down it's power after a couple of sec's. I removed them, cleared the bios, and set the 5-5-5-15 values again manual (since he complained about high voltage and stuff and the bios resetted the timings to the 5-7-7-24) But anyways it booted after doing that, and even PASSED.

All 4 slots occupied gave me no boot initially, did the same bios routine as in prev' test, and it booted. Yet.. mass errors in memtest+86

So i tried fallout3 as a 'benchmark' to see how affective this issue was.. quite big i assure you, 15minutes of play gave me the winx64 blue screen. All disks had been tested by HUtil from samsung, and the 3Dcard already got RMA'd, i guess it has a bigger chance on being a cripple bios on the UD3R than faulty ram. Once i'll post the screens tonight you could probably help me more than these numbers.

The screens in random order (it's night here, will reply the posts later.)

Last edited by C5D; 12-22-2008 at 07:48 PM.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:55 PM
DerekT's PC Specs

POST ID # = 381500
DerekT Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5D View Post
All 4 slots occupied gave me no boot initially, did the same bios routine as in prev' test, and it booted. Yet.. mass errors in memtest+86
You DON'T have the same issue. You have a four DRAM slot population. Please enter Here and document your system hardware components, being as specific as possible. This helps so I don't have to continually reference your prior post.

Your four modules are two kits? What are the version numbers on the modules? Here are the values I would try IF the modules are of matching fabrication.
Download Memtest86+ V2.10 from--->Here
Download CPU-z from Here .
Enter your BIOS. On the main BIOS screen press Ctrl + F1. You will see the screen flicker. Next select the MB Intelligent Tweaker option. On that screen you will see many additional settings that were not there before. Load setup defaults, Save Setup defaults. Enter these values:

Code:
MCH Clock Skew (ps): 100ps

DRAM Performance Control
Performance Enhance: STANDARD
Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.).: Disabled
(G)MCH Frequency Latch: 400MHz

System Memory Multiplier: 2.00D
Memory Frequency (Mhz): 800
DRAM Timing Selectable: Manual

Standard Timing Control
CAS Latency Time: 5
tRCD: 5
tRP:5
tRAS: 15

Advanced Timing Control
tRRD: 3
tWTR: 3
tWR:. 6
tRFC: 62
tRTP: 3
Command Rate (CMD):2

Channel A
Static tRead Value: 9-10 
tRD Phase0 Adjustment:Auto
tRD Phase1 Adjustment:Auto
tRD Phase2 Adjustment.:Auto
tRD Phase3 Adjustment:Auto
Trd2rd(Different Rank).:Auto
Twr2wr(Different Rank):Auto
Twr2rd(Different Rank):Auto
Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank):Auto
Dimm1 Clock Skew Control:Auto ps
Dimm2 Clock Skew Control:Auto ps

Channel B
Static tRead Value: 9-10
tRD Phase0 Adjustment:Auto
tRD Phase1 Adjustment:Auto
tRD Phase2 Adjustment.:Auto
tRD Phase3 Adjustment:Auto
Trd2rd(Different Rank).:Auto
Twr2wr(Different Rank):Auto
Twr2rd(Different Rank):Auto
Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank):Auto
Dimm1 Clock Skew Control:Auto ps
Dimm2 Clock Skew Control:Auto ps

Motherboard Voltage Control
Voltage Type: Manual

CPU
CPU Vcore: Auto
CPU Termination: Auto
CPU PLL: Auto
CPU Reference: Auto
CPU Reference2: Auto

MCH/ICH
MCH Core: 1.28
MCH Reference: Auto
MCH/DRAM Ref: Auto
ICH I/O: Auto
ICH Core: Auto

DRAM
DRAM Voltage: 2.1v
DRAM Termination: Auto
Channel A Reference: Auto
Channel B Reference: Auto
Here's what you need to do. Test the kits in slots 1 & 3 and 2 & 4. Run Memtest for two full passes, then (If Stable), enter Windows and post screenshots of CPU-z's CPU, Memory and SPD tabs.

Last edited by DerekT; 12-22-2008 at 07:00 PM.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:32 PM
Administrator
Wired's PC Specs

POST ID # = 381506
Wired Reputation: 32

Specs moved to profile (and as suggested by the registration form and the rules), but please list as much info about your spec as possible. Also, please do not hijack multiple threads on the forum. Next time, create your own thread :)

The version info is very important as well, as it's never recommended to mix versions. Whenever you attempt this (or run 4 sticks), you should underclock the memory to lessen the stress on the memory controller.
Admin of this forum / webdesignforums.net / Petri's IT Forum / The Corsair Memory Steam Group
Founder/Creator/Admin of ZE SECRET PROJECT (Coming Soon)
Old 12-25-2008, 02:34 PM
C5D's PC Specs

POST ID # = 381797

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wired View Post
The version info is very important as well, as it's never recommended to mix versions. Whenever you attempt this (or run 4 sticks), you should underclock the memory to lessen the stress on the memory controller.
For the time i had left this Christmas, i've done "some" testing.
First of all i've cleared the cmos by leaving the power off and removing the battery for about 30 minutes. After that i thought on just testing with memtest what 4 occupied slots would give me without any meddling in the settings.

And it gave me a frozen memtest:

Next i've tried memtest by just removing the one in Slot 3 (0-1-2-3) and that test remained without any error after 3 passes.

I checked the revision, and both dominator kits are VER 1.1, which is good i hope?

I will test the recommended bios settings from Derek-T later this week.
Any idea why memtest86 2.10 says "DDRIII" ?
Old 12-25-2008, 05:59 PM
Administrator
Wired's PC Specs

POST ID # = 381814
Wired Reputation: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5D View Post
Any idea why memtest86 2.10 says "DDRIII" ?
That's a bug in memtest which was fixed in v2.11.
Admin of this forum / webdesignforums.net / Petri's IT Forum / The Corsair Memory Steam Group
Founder/Creator/Admin of ZE SECRET PROJECT (Coming Soon)
Old 12-27-2008, 02:56 PM
C5D's PC Specs

POST ID # = 381961

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wired View Post
That's a bug in memtest which was fixed in v2.11.
So i upgraded to 2.11:

i've used the settings DerekT gave. And Kit 1 passed (2 p) in slots 0-2 and 1-3
Kit 2 Failed to boot with those settings in 0-2. I had to manually check the bios first since it always gave the red warning about overclocking and voltage control (see screen). I'll try again if you want with kit 2 since they work when the bios auto detects everything. The weird thing is that the bios gives you the red warning, and changes the settings to default when you boot to memtest, yet if you go into the bios, press a key to make the warning go away and exit without saving it gives you the settings and latencies as recommended by Derek. Kit 2 in 1-3 stangely enough booted, but after a couple of minutes the screen went black though the computer was still running. I pressed the reboot btn, and then it kept looping without being able to show the bios screen.

On a small note: You asked me to set the Static tRead value to 9-10, i picked 9 for the tests.
Second: you asked me to set the System multiplier to 2.00D, i've figured out you did that to see how the test would run on a 1:1 FSB/RAM ratio. I bet in next tests i should increase it to 2.66D (889mhz) or 3.00D (1111mhz) ?

Oh another thing, i don't find MCH Clock Skew: 100ps nor Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...
Old 12-28-2008, 09:41 AM
C5D's PC Specs

POST ID # = 382048

Could somebody explain to me what this is.. first time i saw memtest doing so weird...

What i did:

I re-tested the 2nd kit that didn't want to boot yesterday in slot 0-2. First time it didn't show the bios screen and powered off & rebooted itself, after that "woohoo" i saw the bios screen, so i could boot from the memtest cd. After only a couple of minutes i saw (see black area i photoshopped) that first strip with the one error listed. Only a few seconds later the screen started flickering and i made a couple of shots ( the 3 small pics in the black area) until it stopped (frozen) with the screenshot itself. I'm now posting from this machine with the 1st kit on DerekT's settings.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:20 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 382094

Please test the modules one at a time with www.memtest.org to make sure one is not failing.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:42 PM
C5D's PC Specs

POST ID # = 382474

Quote:
Please test the modules one at a time with www.memtest.org to make sure one is not failing.
done that, one passed over 2 passes; the other stick gave one error after only a couple of minutes and suddenly the screen went black, the system rebooted, i went to the bios and even there my keyboard strokes were unresponsive, so i guess you're now proposing on RMA'ing my 2nd kit and tagging the failing one ?

Memtest is really such a great tool
Old 12-30-2008, 06:12 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 382487

Let's get them replaced, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace them.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:36 AM
C5D's PC Specs

POST ID # = 387033

Quote:
Let's get them replaced, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace them.
I've send em back to the shop where they came from, and they replaced them without much hesitation after passing them the url of the forum.
Anyways.. i formatted the pc so i could take advantage of the Intel matrix raid controller on the northbridge to put 2 of the spinpoints in RAID0. Problem i face now is:

I've pulled out the good modules, swapped them with the new arrivals, but i'm unable to boot to memtest. The cd iso i've used previously says "loading ........" but nothing more. Trying the same with the floppydisk image doesn't run it either. I thought that memtest had nothing to do with hdd raid, true?

(note; the new arrivals work at the supplied settings.. but can' t test them)
Old 01-29-2009, 12:42 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 387062

How did you make the Memtest CD?