Corsair Community

Do I need PWM fans for the H100 and H100i to control them?

Quiz

If I connect my fans into the H100 or H100i block, do they need to be PWM for the block to control the fan speed? I have Gentle Typhoon AP-15 fans that are connected into the H100's block. They seem to ramp up and down but I don't think they are PWM.

some 3 pin fans will work but its very limited,4 pin pwm is what will work the best and even then theres gonna be a model here and there that will struggle to be properly controlled.

being theres so many types of fans on the market,,its hard to make them all co-exist

if i buy SP120 Quiet Edition (non PWM), it will work perfectly too?.

They are super Quiet at full speed by default, i think that i won't adjust the fan speed by Link Software.

Or, it's better to buy the PWM version even if i'm not gonna use the Link Software?.

some 3 pin fans will work but its very limited,4 pin pwm is what will work the best and even then theres gonna be a model here and there that will struggle to be properly controlled.

being theres so many types of fans on the market,,its hard to make them all co-exist

I have the H100 and Gentle Typhoon AP-15 fans. I don't think they are PWM (they are 3-pin). While they do ramp up and down when connected to the H100's CPU block, do you recommend that I connect them directly to the motherboard running at full-speed all the time?

I have the H100 and Gentle Typhoon AP-15 fans. I don't think they are PWM (they are 3-pin). While they do ramp up and down when connected to the H100's CPU block, do you recommend that I connect them directly to the motherboard running at full-speed all the time?

no not at all,if the h100 ramps the fans up/down accordingly to temps then thats all thats needed

hooking to the m/b would require a fan controlling program but the h100 is much better i think...

Is it recommended to disable CPU fan speed control in the BIOS? Does it even make a difference since it is just reading the pump speed?

you need this,its a m/b safety feature as it detects and insures the fan/pump is running to cool the cpu...

you need this,its a m/b safety feature as it detects and insures the fan/pump is running to cool the cpu...

CPU fan speed control means it ramps up and ramps down the CPU fan speed according to temps. Detecting that the CPU fan speed is working is another feature. However, I don't think it matters what this setting is set at because no matter what I set it at, the pump speed is always 2020-2100 or around there.

CPU fan speed control means it ramps up and ramps down the CPU fan speed according to temps. Detecting that the CPU fan speed is working is another feature. However, I don't think it matters what this setting is set at because no matter what I set it at, the pump speed is always 2020-2100 or around there.

the m/b just needs to detect a rpm signal regardless of the rpm range

the pump is a fixed rpm of ~2200 and cant be adjusted...

I would just leave well enough alone. If they are being controlled correctly by the H100i then all this really doesn't matter.

The difference between 3 pin and 4 pin fans is the way they are controlled

3 pin fans are voltage controlled. Fan speeds are adjusted by raising or lowering the voltage going to the fan. Full spped would be 12v, Med would be some where areound 7.5-9 v and low would be around 5v.

4 Pin PWM fans are controlled by sending pules of full 12v to the fans motor . The speed at which those pulses are sent determines fan speed. The faster the pulse the faster the speed. The slower the pulses...well, you get the idea. PWM is also more efficient and offers basically infinite control.

If you MB is equipped with with 4 pin headers it doesn't matter either. It will still control either 4pin PWM or standard 3pin fans. So will the H100i. It's just that not all 3 pin fans will run on the H100i. You would know if they are not running correctly...they would either run at full speed or not at all.

So if your unit is adjusting speed as it should with your fans and your temps are good, then don't even worry about it.

Are the SP120 fans that come with the H100i the same as the SP120 fans you buy off the shelf?

The "off the shelf" SP120 fans can be found here

http://www.corsair.com/us/cpu-cooling-kits/air-series-fans.html

But the SP120L fans normally used on the H80i and H100i can be found here

http://www.corsair.com/us/cpu-cooling-kits/cpu-cooling-accessories/hydro-series-h80i-h100i-sp120l-2700-rpm-replacement-fan.html

RodeoGeorge

Archived