Corsair Community

3930K and H100 temps way too high

Quiz

After cleaning my H100 in January 2013, at idle the cores varied between 25 C and 30 C and during Battlefield 3, the cores varied between 42 C and 46 C.

Today, there is a lot of dust clogged in the H100. I just played some Battlefield 3 and the hottest core was at 77 C!

I installed my new H100 in January 2012 and didn't clean it till January 2013 but the temps never hit that high before. Is the H100 okay? Does it just need cleaning? If it does, why weren't my temps ever this high before when I didn't clean it for a year?

The H100 is at max speed and always has been.

dust accumulation varies with seasons,traffic,activity and other factors,simply put it wont get dirty at any set rate

also winter ambient temp vs.summer ambient temps greatly affect hydro cooling temps

i pushed 31c water temps in winter but now it averages 35-36c

also was there any amount of debris left between cleaning?

this cooler is a very simple system but one does need to understand operating restrictions and such,especially all the little variables involved

After cleaning, the H100 looked brand new. Nothing on it.

By the way, I just checked my CPU Fan Speed rpm in the BIOS and it reports between 2020 - 2089. Is this normal? I think it used to be 2100 - 2200 rpm?

• 1 month later...

I just cleaned my whole PC including the H100. My temps are basically the same (i.e. still high). With IntelBurnTest, I hit 90 C with everything in my PC at stock!

I've noticed one thing though. Under CPU load, the H100 does not seem to ramp-up the fans. Meaning the tone stays the same. I guess this is the problem? I've tried resetting the firmware and it made no difference.

Just plugged in the H100 fans directly into the motherboard and my temps have dropped big time! Max temp now during IntelBurnTest is 66 C compared to 90 C.

Fan controller faulty? It still changes speed when I click the button though.

I don't know if my H100 has an issue or if it working fine. I originally had a GTX 560 Ti 448 Cores and the max temp during Battlefield 3 was around 46 C on my stock 3930K. Now I have a GTX TITAN and my max temp is around 55 C. Is this due to increased CPU utilization from the GPU upgrade?

Secondly, with IntelBurnTest set to the maximum stress level, the core temps range between 67 and 73 C max after one complete run. Is this normal for a stock 3930K with an H100? Seems quite high.

When I originally build this PC in January, 2012, I think the temps during IntelBurnTest and Prime95 were lower. Unfortunately, I cannot confirm that.

So, are these temps normal? I have the H100 set to the max fan speed setting and I just cleaned my H100's rad a few days ago. It looks brand new. I didn't remove the CPU block, just cleaned the rad.

you can take and stress it hard enough and temps will rise regardless of the cooling.your temps in january could be from it being winter and lower ambient temps.

the temps you have not aren't that bad and only slightly on the high side

adding hi performance parts can create additional heat that will affect cooling.look over your case flow and see if improvements can be made there.

My ambient temp is always 22 C. I found one of old threads on another forum and I said that the max temp during IntelBurnTest was 57 C. Now it is around 73 C more than a year later. Idle temps are still around the same.

I've noticed one thing, and I hope I am not imagining it, that the fans are not spinning up as fast as before under load. I have the H100's controller set to the max speed setting and I do know that the controller works because changing between the three speed settings seems to change fan speed too.

I think there is something wrong with the H100 (pump?). I connected the fans directly into the motherboard and made them run at 100% all the time. I reset the firmware on the H100. My temps are far worse now, the same as before when they use to hit 90 C during IntelBurnTest. Is the pump gone even though it reports the correct speed in the BIOS?

Archived