Corsair Community

Corsair Link 2 and other PWM fans.

pucci821

Hey guys was wondering if anyone else has some other brand of PWM fans that work with this software and can be completely controlled by software. I know the stock fans do and I've got QE SP120 attached now and system is cooling ok. Was wanting more control over fans since it is limited with these fans. I didn't want to use stock fans from all the negative post about stock fans whining and making noise but I may give them a try if I have no alternative.

Again anyone having luck with another brand of PWM fans if so what kind. If it’s considered rude to post anther brand on this forum just pm me.

Thanks for any advice or input.

No not rude at all that's why we have pm messaging.....I'm a corsair fan and I own many of their products. :)

im just being sarcastic;):

it seems corsair has relaxed that policy a bit,i assume to cater to people on here

They're SP fans, just minimal versions though. I understand what you're asking for though, but they just don't exist at this time.

can the sp120 quiets be controlled by corsair link even though they aren't pwm? for instance, 'quiet mode', etc.? I keep getting mixed answers.

can the sp120 quiets be controlled by corsair link even though they aren't pwm? for instance, 'quiet mode', etc.? I keep getting mixed answers.

If they are connected to an H100 for example and then the H100 is connected to a cooling node then they can not be controlled by the software. If you connect them directly to the cooling node then they can be controlled fine through the software.....at least that was my experience. I don't know about the latest H100i

I have QE SP/AF 120 fans and only tired the QE SP120 and have limited control with Corsair Link 2 software. QE SP120 fans connected to H100i pump and with Voltage step-down adapter for lower speed operation but still very limited to control with software.

Are there any recommended fans that people use that they have tested with the Corsair Link?

I am purchasing an H100i soon and would like to possibly replace those fans for something with Red LED's. Since I am going to put the H100i at the top of my case, I have been thinking about keeping the stock fans at the bottom of the rad and then putting two red LED fans on the top of the rad so that they could be seen from outside of the case. Would this work and would I still get good temperatures?

Alternatively, a lot of people recommend the Noctua fans; does anybody have any experience with them working with the Corsair Link? Has this new version helped to make more fans work?

Edit: there are also a lot of fans that are rated as being loud in the Tom's Hardware and Overclock.net's user round ups; however would these not be that loud if I lower their RPM through the Link Software?

Hey guys was wondering if anyone else has some other brand of PWM fans that work with this software and can be completely controlled by software. I know the stock fans do and I've got QE SP120 attached now and system is cooling ok. Was wanting more control over fans since it is limited with these fans. I didn't want to use stock fans from all the negative post about stock fans whining and making noise but I may give them a try if I have no alternative.

Again anyone having luck with another brand of PWM fans if so what kind. If it’s considered rude to post anther brand on this forum just pm me.

Thanks for any advice or input.

First:

All PWM fans have to be built to a Itel Standard http://www.formfactors.org/developer/specs/4_Wire_PWM_Spec.pdf If the fan doesn't meet these specs it can't be called a "PWM" fan.

Second:

The only concerns you should have when buying a fan are:

PWM -will the PWM fan work with my MB, does LINK work with a PWM fan.

Size - will it fit

CFM - will it provide enough air

Noise - Measured in DB; this is how loud a fan is at a certain speed. A better understanding of DB will help you make a better choice. (look it up)

Ok yea wasn't looking for guide on how fans work, size, cfm....etc.:roll:

Was looking for input on other people with diffrent PWM fans (other than stock) that work with H100i and software.

I know all fans work but unless there of the PWM type software from Corsair will have limited control over fans.

Ok yea wasn't looking for guide on how fans work, size, cfm....etc.:roll:

Was looking for input on other people with diffrent PWM fans (other than stock) that work with H100i and software.

I know all fans work but unless there of the PWM type software from Corsair will have limited control over fans.

OK don't need a guide for PWM fans.

Corsair says update your firmware for PWM compliance H100i, H80i (see firmware update) Now if Corsair isn't mistaken all PWM fans should work just fine with LINK. :cool:

I actually like the fans that come with the h100i. I got a link lighting node and put the lights next to the fans. I have a mesh top, and the overall effect looks nice (to me anyway).

I have Enermax Vegas Trios, and those work with the latest firmware. They were a little hit and miss with the shipping firmware. They are case fans though, not radiator fans. I saw a youtube video where someone used the Cougars, but I don't know if they used the onboard controller or the h100i controller.

I like how the Enermax fans look through the side mesh. :D:

That looks awesome, I would not worry about what others might think!

Here is the top view that I was talking about. I put the h100i fans in the top of the cosmos 2 and put the (link) LED strips next to them.

26661_4830463483274_957186628_n.jpg

OK don't need a guide for PWM fans.

Corsair says update your firmware for PWM compliance H100i, H80i (see firmware update) Now if Corsair isn't mistaken all PWM fans should work just fine with LINK. :cool:

Yea don't need a PDF of PWM fans:p:

Archived