Corsair Community

I need help with connecting the cooler into my motherboard

Froggyy

Alright So Im completely new to building a pc. I recently bought a ASUS z-170-A motherboard and a Corsair Hydro h60 v2 cooler for my i7 6700k. Now It is up and running but my ingame temp is around 70-90 Celsius in CSGO and around 60-75 Arma 3 and only using about 30% of my processor.

With my chassi I got 2 fans with it that I am also using. My chassi is the Corsair 200R.

I attached a picture of my case with my airflow direction of choice

The rear is now my corsair hydro cooler as an intake(manual says so). I moved the chassi one as an exhauster on the top instead and the front is intake as well.

The picture attached shows how I did with the fan connectors and the pump but, and idk if i did right anything. Should I have the front as exhaust or just keep it like it is? Something in BIOS i should change? please help I got no one to turn to:/

215387591_chassiairflow.png.b9cd85dba698af7c1a97985abebdeb59.png

MOTHERBOARD.thumb.png.46d37b1f34d223876e678a9b99f1c455.png

No matter how you set up the case airflow, 75-90C is out of bounds for CPU temperature on CS GO on any other game. The most common problem with setting up a new cooler is properly mounting the pump to the CPU. If the two are not in firm contact, you will get high and erratic CPU temps. The backplate is the usual the center of most issues and it can be very fiddly. What are your idle CPU temperatures? Are they steady? Or do they jump around quite a bit? I assume you are at the stock frequency and voltage for now. If not, tell us what you are using.

Unfortunately, the manual's "instruction" to use the radiator fan(s) as intake is more of a disclaimer. It is not the best choice for a large percentage of people. Your set-up could work in its current configuration, but you need to be careful about pushing the tower back against a wall or other confined space. The rear PCI-E slots around the GPU are the warmest part of the case. A lot of heat will come out the back. If you are close to the wall, that column of air tends to heat up and that is your intake air for the H60. At that point, you are using the warmest air possible to move through the radiator. Don't change it yet. It would be better to isolate the main problem first.

There is nothing wrong with how you connected the pump and fans to the motherboard. Make sure the water_pump header is set to "Full Speed" or 100% or however the Asus Z170 BIOS displays that pump header. The pump needs 12v all the time. Do not allow AI Suite to tune it like a fan.

No matter how you set up the case airflow, 75-90C is out of bounds for CPU temperature on CS GO on any other game. The most common problem with setting up a new cooler is properly mounting the pump to the CPU. If the two are not in firm contact, you will get high and erratic CPU temps. The backplate is the usual the center of most issues and it can be very fiddly. What are your idle CPU temperatures? Are they steady? Or do they jump around quite a bit? I assume you are at the stock frequency and voltage for now. If not, tell us what you are using.

Unfortunately, the manual's "instruction" to use the radiator fan(s) as intake is more of a disclaimer. It is not the best choice for a large percentage of people. Your set-up could work in its current configuration, but you need to be careful about pushing the tower back against a wall or other confined space. The rear PCI-E slots around the GPU are the warmest part of the case. A lot of heat will come out the back. If you are close to the wall, that column of air tends to heat up and that is your intake air for the H60. At that point, you are using the warmest air possible to move through the radiator. Don't change it yet. It would be better to isolate the main problem first.

There is nothing wrong with how you connected the pump and fans to the motherboard. Make sure the water_pump header is set to "Full Speed" or 100% or however the Asus Z170 BIOS displays that pump header. The pump needs 12v all the time. Do not allow AI Suite to tune it like a fan.

Uhm my idle temperature is around 25-27 celsius. But when I game it goes up quick.

My rear end doesnt hit the wall Ive tested with my PC in open space and it still didnt work. I was thinking maybe i need a thermal paste? Corsair has one already applied but maybe I did wrong?

My RPM for fans are:

fan1,2,3: around 1000

pump fan: around 4200

The pump speed is correct for that unit and it is unlikely the TIM is responsible for those kinds of temperatures. Differences between paste types are minimal and if you had smeared or worn some it away, the temperatures might be erratic, but low at idle and very high for gaming.

Probably time to remove the GPU from the factor list. Run a common stress test like AIDA64 or Intel XTU for 5 or 10 minutes. Both of those are relatively light and steady in their loading. If the CPU temperature immediately shoots up past 80C, stop and report back. Otherwise, note the approximate range of CPU temps over the 5-10 minutes. Try to differentiate between slowly, but continually increasing temperature and an immediate jump right to the 80C+ range.

The pump speed is correct for that unit and it is unlikely the TIM is responsible for those kinds of temperatures. Differences between paste types are minimal and if you had smeared or worn some it away, the temperatures might be erratic, but low at idle and very high for gaming.

Probably time to remove the GPU from the factor list. Run a common stress test like AIDA64 or Intel XTU for 5 or 10 minutes. Both of those are relatively light and steady in their loading. If the CPU temperature immediately shoots up past 80C, stop and report back. Otherwise, note the approximate range of CPU temps over the 5-10 minutes. Try to differentiate between slowly, but continually increasing temperature and an immediate jump right to the 80C+ range.

Uhm yeah I accidentally touched the paste and got some on my finger and this might have played a role in my rising temperature. I was also a bit clumsy while screwing the pump to my cpu. I did use the test and the temp was going up quick to 100 even on standard load using the intel loadtest.

My geek friend told me to connect the pump connector to w_pump(water pump) header instead of cpu_fan. Did that but not much happened. Ive tried everything now lol except switching paste which I will do tomorrow and hopefully it will fix it..

It's never easy the first time. Get some new TIM. You need to clean all the old off before. High concentration rubbing alcohol works fine. People use different things from coffee filters to lint free cotton swabs to old lens cleaner towel (the non-disposable type). Whatever you use, try not to leave fibers behind. They do sell specialized kits for this stuff, but it's debatable whether it is better than the above. Pick a TIM that is easy to work with and avoid things with metallic properties or metal in the name. Most brands are more or less the same. There are no magic formulas.

H60 fans on CPU & OPT and the pump on water_pump is good. That is what they are for. The CPU&OPT headers have more precise fan control and the pump header should be easy to configure for 12v/100% duty.

Right now the TIM is the most likely source of the problem, although you haven't mentioned jumpy or strange temps readings that normally come with this. Still, that is the easiest fix. After that, we would need to look at some more obscure things.

It's never easy the first time. Get some new TIM. You need to clean all the old off before. High concentration rubbing alcohol works fine. People use different things from coffee filters to lint free cotton swabs to old lens cleaner towel (the non-disposable type). Whatever you use, try not to leave fibers behind. They do sell specialized kits for this stuff, but it's debatable whether it is better than the above. Pick a TIM that is easy to work with and avoid things with metallic properties or metal in the name. Most brands are more or less the same. There are no magic formulas.

H60 fans on CPU & OPT and the pump on water_pump is good. That is what they are for. The CPU&OPT headers have more precise fan control and the pump header should be easy to configure for 12v/100% duty.

Right now the TIM is the most likely source of the problem, although you haven't mentioned jumpy or strange temps readings that normally come with this. Still, that is the easiest fix. After that, we would need to look at some more obscure things.

Yeah jumpy and strange temps readings does come. Ill come back at you tomorrow after new TIM application

Might be a bit late now, but make sure that you don't use too much, that can be as bad as too little.

I had my geek friend from norway guiding me through and my temp is still jumping from 50 to 100 in intel stress test and this is on standard stress level..... FML to be honest im pissed...Ive tried everything there is I believe. My BIOS is on power saving mode maybe that has something do to with it?

I am not familiar with the BIOS power saving mode, but that is not likely the culprit.

While on the desktop, press down with two fingers on the pump. Do your CPU temps drop? This is normally a test to see if the pump is making good contact with the CPU lid. Everything you are describing fits this very common problem. If the pump motor was malfunctioning or there was a flow restriction of any kind, you would not be able to idle at 25C. Once you powered on, the CPU temps would slowly climb and continue to do so probably into the 50-70C mark at the desktop. That does not sound like this situation. The only other two things are: 1) The contact problem or 2) Voltage overload from aggressive overclock settings. It does not sound like #2 is in play and you are still on factory defaults. That leaves just #1.

I am not familiar with the BIOS power saving mode, but that is not likely the culprit.

While on the desktop, press down with two fingers on the pump. Do your CPU temps drop? This is normally a test to see if the pump is making good contact with the CPU lid. Everything you are describing fits this very common problem. If the pump motor was malfunctioning or there was a flow restriction of any kind, you would not be able to idle at 25C. Once you powered on, the CPU temps would slowly climb and continue to do so probably into the 50-70C mark at the desktop. That does not sound like this situation. The only other two things are: 1) The contact problem or 2) Voltage overload from aggressive overclock settings. It does not sound like #2 is in play and you are still on factory defaults. That leaves just #1.

Im not overclocking but I just tested Arma 3 Stress mode and my temps were around 40-60 and never above, this was also on ultra settings. CsGO i tried again and it was never abov 70. mostly around 45-65 on maxed settings.

I also downloaded IntelProcessor Diagnostic Tool and my CPU passed easily without any problem. So I do believe it is fixed now yes and I can finally sit back and relax ahahahah.

I was earlier using Intel Stress test and that thing made my temps jump form 40 to 100 up and down, my friend told me that the program is kinda old .

Im not overclocking but I just tested Arma 3 Stress mode and my temps were around 40-60 and never above, this was also on ultra settings. CsGO i tried again and it was never abov 70. mostly around 45-65 on maxed settings.

I also downloaded IntelProcessor Diagnostic Tool and my CPU passed easily without any problem. So I do believe it is fixed now yes and I can finally sit back and relax ahahahah.

I was earlier using Intel Stress test and that thing made my temps jump form 40 to 100 up and down, my friend told me that the program is kinda old .

Try and go into the CS:GO dev console and fps_max 120, I had the same issue on the game because its running at 400FPS without capping it, you can maybe see if it helps you, temperatures on CS:GO shouldn't be higher than on Arma 3.

OK, that's more like it. You were using Intel eXtreme Tuning Utility (XTU)? The purpose of it is not some elaborate CPU test, but as an easy way to test the CPU temperatures without the randomness of of gaming or the GPU heat. It does act in wave loading pattern, but the fluctuations should be 5-10C at most between high and low. The problem with the newer CPUs, post Haswell, is they tend to gobble up lots of extra voltage when on the Auto setting. This is particularly true with Skylake CPUs. However, unlike some other tests, I was lead to believe Intel XTU would not feed into that behavior. Intel XTU is a very mild and not particularly taxing test on my HW-E. Even at 1.31v, it would fluctuate between 58-63C. It doesn't matter too much since there is no need to run it, but that is odd behavior for a CPU at stock settings.

Archived