Corsair Community

Temp settings

Uber1968

Quick question, I have just completed my hydro X build (XD 5 / XC7 / 2x 120mm HD fans / 3x 140mm HD fans / 4x LED strips) and I have the temp sensor in the back of the XD 5. I would like to know what people use for there fan curve in Icue software. Do people use the chip as the temp point or the coolant or something else, I also have an issue with low flow but the rpm is registering in the icue software XD 5 in channel 6 (4 pin) and temp sensor in 1.

Any tips or help would be much appreciated.

Coolant temperature is your control variable. The CPU/GPU are "cooled" as heat is physically conducted from the chip across the cold plate touching it and into the coolant stream. No fan or pump settings will alter that rate. Fan and pump speeds affect the rate of heat removal from the coolant. The relationship is the coolant temperature is the lowest possible hardware temp or your baseline and +1C coolant will also result in +1C to the CPU and GPU. The higher/lower the baseline, the higher/lower the end hardware temps will be. When you set x.xx volts for your CPU/GPU, it will result in a specific temperature no matter what you do. The cooling system keeps that number from getting worse.

Fans speeds are a matter of user preference and how much you are willing to let the coolant temp increase. Most 120mm fans start to become more efficient around 1000 rpm minimum and 140s perhaps 750mm. Below that the cooling effect is mild, but more than enough for idle and normal use.

Low flow? Because the coolant isn't moving and hardware is overheating? Can't get the loop started after filling?

Just to add to what c-attack said, if you only cool the CPU, using coolant as regulation variable will make the computer more silent, because fans won't speed up everytime load varies, but only when necessary, when the coolant start warming up.

Adding a GPU, it can become more interesting to regulate with GPU temp rather than water temp because it heats up the water very fast.

And.. more info on your low flow issue would be good :) rpm readings? bubbles?

Sorry for late reply but been working, I have sorted out my low flow but to give you details is as follows, built system and filled and tested system before installing ICUE software. Once sure no leaks were present I installed the software and configure my system, once rebooted I had temps on the CPU of 35 deg at idle and system was whisper quiet. cranked system up and temps hits 60 deg but there seemed little flow change in the system but i will say fans were running fast. I had thought as the system heated up the pump would push coolant faster as soon as i disconnected the commander pro link (6 as instructed) the pump auto kicked up to 100% flow. I changed and tried setting but as soon as i put the link back in the pump would stop flowing and go quiet. RPM reading on commander pro showed fan 6 running anywjere from 1000 to 2000 rpm. now what I have did to solve the problem is change the usb header on my motherboard and I now have decent flow and temps during load tests. Many thanks for the assistance given to my queries.

Flow rate shouldn't have much effect on your end hardware or coolant temps. If you search around for radiator reviews, some still test at 0.5 Gallons Per Minute, 1.0 GPM, and 1.5 GPM, but most have stopped and only do 1.0 since the results are basically all the same with typical 0.5C difference between slow and fast.

There is one exception to this -- you can be too slow. There is a minimum pump speed where the coolant isn't going to move and will result in noticeably higher temps, even at idle. Unless you have a really dense or large cooling loop, this tends to pretty low. I think you already encountered this aspect, but I wanted to make sure to point out the reverse is not true. Cranking the pump up to 5000 rpm won't give you better temps than 2000 rpm 99.9% of time. There are a few fringe circumstances where you can tease out a difference, like idle with fans in zero mode, but no one in their right mind would run the pump at 5000 rpm at idle anyway.

You don't have to use the Hydro X preset for fans or pump. You can set your own. Most people will be just fine with one comfortable fixed speed or a relatively flat curve with a large speed rise at a warning level temperature. It's fairly difficult to create a universal preset. 800 rpm may be just fine for a 240mm single block loop. It might not be for a triple 360mm + CPU + GPU.

Hi

I want to make sure of something

My build XC7 + XD5 +XR7 360 + XR5 240 + XR5 120 + GPU(EK Water Blocks EK-FC Radeon VEGA Strix)

pc idle and in normal use, the pump makes 2100 - 2200 rpm and enough noise to disturb

Less noise at 2500 rpm when set quickly with iCue

the real problem, works very fast in games and everything is fans 1600rpm

the computer is making a lot of sound is it normal?

I was using h115i pro before, there is not that much noise and the processor temperature was lower

17519-B63-A94-C-4-A23-AB38-D50-C6-FD4-C3-E4.jpg