Corsair Community

Refurbished HX850i - DOA?

GeauxBears

Hello - I recently purchased an HX850i from Corsair website. Didn't realize it at the time but it appears it was factory refurbished (confirmed by the box and the order confirmation after I saw the box, ha).

Anyway, when I got it hooked up and plugged in and tried to boot up, I hear what I can only describe as two loud "screeches" or "squeals", each lasting a second long with almost an exact second in between, and then nothing happens - no power. When the chirps/pulses happen, the lights in the room slightly dim on rhythm so it appears to be trying to draw power during those noises. I can't get it to try to boot again unless I flip the power switch on the back of the PSU, at which point the same behavior happens again.

Does this sound like DOA?

Looks like the HX850i in "new" condition is available now direct on Corsair so I'll go ahead and try to get ordered while the RMA is in progress. I already have a ticket in for RMA as I've confirmed another PSU works in the same system, but wanted to get any last thoughts before I send it back (and also worried it will get bounced back since I'm buying a new one in meantime).

• Corsair Employee
Hello - I recently purchased an HX850i from Corsair website. Didn't realize it at the time but it appears it was factory refurbished (confirmed by the box and the order confirmation after I saw the box, ha).

Anyway, when I got it hooked up and plugged in and tried to boot up, I hear what I can only describe as two loud "screeches" or "squeals", each lasting a second long with almost an exact second in between, and then nothing happens - no power. When the chirps/pulses happen, the lights in the room slightly dim on rhythm so it appears to be trying to draw power during those noises. I can't get it to try to boot again unless I flip the power switch on the back of the PSU, at which point the same behavior happens again.

Does this sound like DOA?

What does the 24-pin cable say where it plugs into the PSU? Type 3? Do all of the cablesl say Type 3?

Do you have another 24-pin cable (type 3 compatible, of course) to try?

If not, can you try doing the paper clip "trick" without any cables attached (putting the paper clip directly into the PS-ON and ground on the PSU itself)?

When they do refurb, they don't test the PSU with the cables they ship you. Sometimes they get mixed up. Just last week, I had a co-worker also get a refurb HX850i and when he tried another 24-pin cable, the PSU worked. I've yet to get that cable back from him to see what exactly is "wrong" with that cable.

Thanks! All cables say Type 3. I do have another MB cable but it pins differently, so it doesn't fit. I tried the paper clip trick and when connecting I hear a "click", followed by the PSU fan spinning for a second or two, then it stops. When I unplug the clip, I hear the "click" again, followed by the PSU fan spinning for a second or two, then it stops.

EDIT - Instead of "click" I would describe it as "tick" and then "tock".

EDIT2 - I have a multimeter, so if you want me to check continuity to rule out the ATX cable, I can do that... LMK

Edited by GeauxBears

Ok - I feel like a clown. After the successful PSU test, I walked through each cable and made sure it was replaced - sure enough, I had forgotten to replace the CPU cable. That fixed it. Unbelievable. First rule of thumb when getting a new PSU - ALWAYS USE THE CABLES PROVIDED.

Thanks @jonnyguru - apologies for the wasted time but hopefully this helps someone else!

Now, to unwind both the RMA and the new order...