Corsair Community

What is the difference between ver 4.31, 5.32, 5.39?

The version number states which IC type is used on that specific piece. According to the Corsair version scheme, that was implemented sometime during the DDR3 days:

Ver4.31 = Samsung 8GBit B-Die

Ver5.32 = Hynix 8Gbit CFR (they are probably either AFR or MFR, though)

Ver5.39 = Hynix 8GBit MFR

The version number states which IC type is used on that specific piece. According to the Corsair version scheme, that was implemented sometime during the DDR3 days:

Thanks for the replay. What do the abbreviations stand for, CFR, AFR, MFR?

So what is the actual difference between the versions besides which manufacture memory chips were used? isnt 5.39 newer than 5.32 and 4.31? Is one version fast or slower then the others? I assume MFR means manufacture? what do the other abbreviations mean? Thanks.

Hynix uses AFR, BFR etc do differentiate between their die revisions. Is is similar to A-die, B-die etc, just another nomenclature. The Corsair version does not state which is newer or older, like is said it just identifies the DRAM IC type used on the kit.

There is no slower or faster at XMP settings, apart from maybe the number of memory ranks that goes back to IC density, but each IC type has its own properties so undervolting or overclocking potential and platform compatibility can differ between versions.

• 2 weeks later...

What about Ver5.30?

Edited by Idan

Hynix uses AFR, BFR etc do differentiate between their die revisions. Is is similar to A-die, B-die etc, just another nomenclature.

Hynix has never used such a nomenclature. It uses definition like A-die, B-die, C-die, and so on. You can check it out by yourself googling with "site:skhynix.com c-die ddr4 8gb".

Are you new to memory?

I don't need to google anything, you can just check the original IC types names yourself (in x8 retail configuration):

H5AN4G8NAFR or just 4Gb(it) AFR

H5AN8G8NMFR or just 8Gb(it) MFR

H5AN8G8NAFR or just 8Gb(it) AFR

The shortened descriptor is commonly used intern, by press and enthusiasts instead of the full IC type for many years, even back in the DDR3 days; esp for 2Gbit BFR/CFR and 4Gbit MFR (like here or here). The older datasheets did not even have the "M-die" type of naming anywhere in them, just the full IC name.

attachment.php?attachmentid=33578&stc=1&d=1530135597

hynix-ic-die-name.png.3d8e829ad172f57c85b967eae8d66acc.png

Edited by emissary42

Hynix does NOT use definitions like MFR, AFR, etc for distinguishing Die Generation. The only one letter is defined for it, C-die, B-die, A-die, etc. The letters F and R do not provide information on Die Generation. I suggested you to check this out with google, but you seem to be smarter than I expected. OK, below you can find the download links to the module datasheets where is what I am talking about.

C-die https://www.skhynix.com/product/filedata/fileDownload.do?seq=7742

A-die https://www.skhynix.com/product/filedata/fileDownload.do?seq=7654

M-die https://www.skhynix.com/product/filedata/fileDownload.do?seq=7088

Edited by Hipster

• 11 months later...

I don't know if this helps or hinders but I found it on my searches

https://www.reddit.com/r/overclocking/wiki/ram/ddr4

in it it states the following

Corsair

"Version Number"

Corsair sticks identify the IC with a 'version number' on the label such as "ver 4.31" - props to them for this as it helps even less knowledgeable users to match kits when adding more sticks retroactively. The DDR4 numbers aren't officially documented, but they follow the same pattern as DDR3.

The numbers take the for "ver X.YZ" where;

* X is IC maker - 3 for Micron, 4 for Samsung, 5 for Hynix, presumably 8 for Nanya as with DDR3

* Y seems to be capacity per rank - 1 for 2GB, 2 for 4GB, 3 for 8GB. Usually this translates directly to IC density (8GB/rank = 8Gbit), but ver 4.14 which uses half as many double width "x16" 4Gbit chips is a special case.

* Z is revision, usually starting from A=0 and usually counting up one letter per increment. Hynix's first revisions are lettered "M" which is numbered as X.Y9, samsung now do this too and it will proesumably be the same.

The known and possible version numbers are as follows;

Version Vendor IC Confirmation?

3.20 Micron 4Gbit Rev.A Presumed

3.21 Micron 4Gbit Rev.B Confirmed

3.22 Micron 4Gbit Rev.E* Speculated

3.22 Micron 4Gbit Rev.F* Confirmed

3.31 Micron 8Gbit Rev.B Confirmed

3.33 Micron 8Gbit Rev.D Presumed

3.34 Micron 8Gbit Rev.E Speculated

4.14 Samsung 4Gbit D-die (4x16) Confirmed

4.23 Samsung 4Gbit D-die Confirmed

4.24 Samsung 4Gbit E-die Confirmed

4.31 Samsung 8Gbit B-die Confirmed

4.49 Samsung 16Gbit M-die Speculated

4.40 Samsung 16Gbit A-die Speculated

5.29 Hynix 4Gbit MFR Confirmed

5.20 Hynix 4Gbit AFR Confirmed

5.21 Hynix 4Gbit BJR Speculated

5.39 Hynix 8Gbit MFR Confirmed

5.30 Hynix 8Gbit AFR Presumed

5.31 Hynix 8Gbit "BFR"??? Speculated

5.32 Hynix 8Gbit CJR Presumed

8.20** Nanya 4Gbit Rev.A Speculated

8.30** Nanya 8Gbit Rev.A Speculated

*Rev.F is confirmed to come in ver3.22 sticks, but that doesn't leave a gap for Rev.E. It's wildly guessed that they may both appear under 3.22.

**It's unknown if Corsair even use Nanya for DDR4 but the version number it would likely be if they did is included for completeness

• 1 month later...
Hi

Can anyone confirm what is ver 4.32?

I've seen a lot kit 2x16gb 3200mhz c16 that has version 4.32. I believe it has been manufactured April this year but there is zero reference if it's actually b-die or not

Cheers

I have a 4.32 kit. SPD says it's b-die on my modules but I don't think that's accurate or there is something else to it. When using Dram Calculator for Ryzen it seems to align more with settings generated by "Samsung OEM" but I don't really know what that means.

Edited by A Computer Guy

• 3 months later...

Hi all, sorry for bringing up this old thread, however, I'm facing some issues on my MSI B450 Gaming Plus with Ryzen 2600X. Previously, when I upgraded my PC I got the corsair ver 5.32 (2 x 8GB) which I was fortunate to set it to 3200mhz. With the recent, reduction of RAM prices, I got another 2 pcs and it came as ver 4.32.

I was then faced with issues not being able to boot up to 3200mhz. The furthest I've got was to set it as 3063Mhz (windows 10 without BSOD).

Any advise how to go about achieving to 3200mhz without any further tweaking? If I were to return the ver 4.32 to Amazon, is there a way to order v5.32 so that it'll work?

Thanks!

A lot of tweaking is the minimal requirement. This is often the case with any mixed set, different version numbers or not. I am not sure the platform is doing you any favors either. Lots of difficulties getting above 3000 and a mixed kit compounds that. If you’re not up for a lot of tweaking with no guaranteed chance of success, I would send it back.

As for obtaining a specific version number, that is hard. With Amazon you could probably keep ordering/returning absorbing the shipping cost, but it is also possible your original version is no longer out there. That supply may have been exhausted and they moved on to another. Some PC specialty stores will work with you if you explain the issue and might check version numbers for you, once they understand your not just a memory speculator chasing some elusive B-die you “read about on Reddit”. Again, if the original version is no longer being manufactured, it’s going to be hard.

A lot of tweaking is the minimal requirement. This is often the case with any mixed set, different version numbers or not. I am not sure the platform is doing you any favors either. Lots of difficulties getting above 3000 and a mixed kit compounds that. If you’re not up for a lot of tweaking with no guaranteed chance of success, I would send it back.

As for obtaining a specific version number, that is hard. With Amazon you could probably keep ordering/returning absorbing the shipping cost, but it is also possible your original version is no longer out there. That supply may have been exhausted and they moved on to another. Some PC specialty stores will work with you if you explain the issue and might check version numbers for you, once they understand your not just a memory speculator chasing some elusive B-die you “read about on Reddit”. Again, if the original version is no longer being manufactured, it’s going to be hard.

Thanks c-attack for your advise and explanation. Guess I'll try and see if Amazon will accept the request for refund.

• 2 weeks later...
Corsair doesn't print the version # on the box (at least on mine), so it seems it would be difficult for a seller to know which version they're selling

I'm not sure if it applies to all boxed kits but when I got my LPX and RGB kits there was a window on the back of the box where you could see the printed model and version.

This is great for when you can manually inspect the boxes for what you may be looking for. (Thanks Corsair!)

• 1 month later...
Hi all, sorry for bringing up this old thread, however, I'm facing some issues on my MSI B450 Gaming Plus with Ryzen 2600X. Previously, when I upgraded my PC I got the corsair ver 5.32 (2 x 8GB) which I was fortunate to set it to 3200mhz. With the recent, reduction of RAM prices, I got another 2 pcs and it came as ver 4.32.

I was then faced with issues not being able to boot up to 3200mhz. The furthest I've got was to set it as 3063Mhz (windows 10 without BSOD).

Any advise how to go about achieving to 3200mhz without any further tweaking? If I were to return the ver 4.32 to Amazon, is there a way to order v5.32 so that it'll work?

Thanks!

Hi, this is the common mistake everyone does. Even I made the same mistake. There is a reason why RAM sticks are sold in packs of 2s or 4s etc.. It is not generally suggested that you just add new ram sticks to the existing one even if you get the Speed, timings, voltage, and version numbers are exactly the same. People did get very very lucky (rarely) and mixed kits might have worked for them. As I said, this is not suggested for just regular install and forget situations and definitely a NO for overclocking (if you do not know what even setting in the RAM section of BIOS does and you can tweak it to the degree). Each stick in a RAM kit has been tested and modified(if needed but rare) to match and become a kit that is absolutely compatible bundle of RAM sticks. So, I would suggest you flip your existing RAM and get a kit that is 2X16 (duel channel) as your CPU only supports dual channel. I said 2X16 if you want better overclocking if not you can go for 4X8 kit which still works in dual channel but overclocking would be a bit hard.

Hope this helps. By the way, I would suggest you understand the frequency and timings relation for RAM and how it affects the performance before you rush to buy a kit with high frequency.

Edited by FORSAK3N

I can confirm that the ram I recently purchased which is vengeance rgb pro 3000 with a sticker on the box labeled CMW16GX4M2C3000C15 do infact have hynix CJR chips. I bought 2 kits of 2x8 from a local best buy. There were multiple revisions mixed in together but luckily I was able to find a second set that matched. Using thaiphoon I confirmed it there and see the numbers. I had also received a set of the same ram from elsewhere that was 4.31and had hynix b die.

I have been able to get these sticks running stable 4x8 in my x570 aorus master at 3400mt/s. sadly until I get the money to throw a ryzen 3000 cpu into the system I am stuck with my 2700x which doesn't have stability above 3400.

1305698738_Annotation2019-12-14012915.jpg.bd48a02d1adc8470c34d7a6f6a7f97ab.jpg

Edited by intender

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Hello, want to report that Corsair Vengeance LPX, 2666Mhz, 2x8Gb, CMK16GX4M2A2666C1, ver. 8.31, is Samsung b-die according to Thaipoon and Cpu-z. See images below.

IMG_2023-06-13-14-29-40-371.jpgLpx_8_31.thumb.jpg.962e774926eaf7826390ed90616ad8ae.jpg

memory-799.jpgspd.jpg

Edited by Nick86