The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Keyboards and Mice

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 25 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-07-2011, 04:19 AM
HornetMaX's PC Specs

POST ID # = 539896
HornetMaX Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culverin View Post
Ahem, just so that we keep this a bit more relevant.

Battlefield:
F-keys = switch Seats

Starcraft 2:
ESC = cancel unit selection

These are the two games I play the most.
What about using the key just below ESC instead of ESC ?

How many F-keys you need to switch seats in BF (never played, no idea here) ? Could use 1-0 keys ?

MaX.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:13 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 540066
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid7 View Post
I have read some reviews & they are saying what everyone else in this thread is saying "Why use rubber dome keys".You only have to look at the thread over at overclockers.co.uk & see people cancelling there corsair pre-orders & buying full mechanical keyboards from different manufacturers.
Please provide a link to the reviews!

Old 11-09-2011, 01:13 AM
ApokalipseMeow's PC Specs

POST ID # = 540351
ApokalipseMeow Reputation: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HornetMaX View Post
Can't really understand all the fuzz about a few non-mechanical keys. OK, Corsair should make it clear up-front (on the product pages, on the box), but after that ...

I play FPS only, hence my view could be a bit skewed, but still ... I do press ESC to access menus and similar, but it's hugely irrelevant if the ESC is mechanical or not. F1-F12 and the 6-block are even less relevant if possible. These keys are just non-critical while gaming. I would even go as far as saying that I don't care for mechanical even on the numpad ...

Any complain like "I use these keys in windows (i.e. during non-gaming use)" seems irrelevant too: these are gamers oriented keyboards. If you're a typist you'll find better options elsewhere, but then, don't ask for NKRO, response time, fancy WASD keys, backlight etc.

Personally (and I stress that that's just my opinion), between a keyboard that has non-mechanical keys on irrelevant spots, like the K60/90, and the exact same keyboard but fully mechanical, I would opt for the "hybrid" one even if the difference was as low as 10$.

I may admit the macro keys of the K90 could be mechanical for MMOs players, but even that is largerly arguable.

I'd like backlighting and/or a few macro keys on ther K60 much more than full mech setup (I know K90 has backlight and macro keys but hey, 18 macro keys ?! That's lot !).

I'm just waiting for the first (hopefully positive) reviews of the K60/90 before buying. I'm very willing to adming mechanical keys are superior, but I'm not gonna become a "mechanicaL key integrist" for no good reason.

MaX.
I use the F keys and Esc a fair bit in Starcraft II
eg F1 = select idle worker
If the F1 key is hard to double tap, it means the F1 method of worker splitting at the start doesn't work very well.

Try doing this as fast as you can on a rubber dome key:
F1, click, F1, click, F1, click, F1, click, F1, click, F1, click

Old 11-09-2011, 06:52 PM

POST ID # = 540527
Culverin Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HornetMaX View Post
What about using the key just below ESC instead of ESC ?

How many F-keys you need to switch seats in BF (never played, no idea here) ? Could use 1-0 keys ?

MaX.

For SC2, yes, I could remap the ESC key as I think Tild isn't being used. But in my non-gaming time, I'm a structural designer, I use AutoCAD and Revit and those also require using the ESC as a de-select. So I'm not going to re-learn de-select function just for 1 game.

And as for using the number keys to switch seats...
It's pretty much standard in ALL FPS games for the number keys to be mapped to weapons. It's no different in BF3.

Totally didn't know about the F1 key for idle workers!!!

Old 11-10-2011, 11:00 AM
tkout's PC Specs

POST ID # = 540647
tkout Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM GUY View Post
Our product manager has explained previously why the design was implemented in this fashion, to help prevent from accidentally hitting one of the F key's. So again thank you all for your comments and we will look forward to seeing some reviews when they are available.
Never thought about it that way and it makes sense to me now! I still have my order awaiting stock at Amazon. I have confidence that the k60 will meet my high expectations. =D

I think that marketing it as a "fully" mechanical keyboard is the part that is really getting people upset.

Maybe market it as a hybrid-mechanical keyboard?

Old 11-20-2011, 07:23 AM

POST ID # = 542631
Culverin Reputation: 10

Anybody who is upset is over-reacting.
But this is my first foray into Corsair products. I'm a total tech-head, I research all my toys before I buy them.

9 times out of 10, a company that relies on marketing or has dishonest or questionable marketing is selling an inferior product.
I will direct your attention to Beats Headphones, Bose Audio or *gasp* major American beers (no offense).

I had always thought corsair made solid bomb-proof durable products that didn't rely on marketing or gimmick. Thus I'm hoping the marketing of the mechanical keyboards which are at best actually "hybrid" keyboards is a 1-off screw up for Corsair.

My no-direct-experience with Corsair has lead me to believe they are a legit and honest company, one that is worth spending the extra coin on.
Hoping I'm proved right in the future.

Old 11-21-2011, 04:01 AM

POST ID # = 542775
The Asgard Reputation: 10

I am also looking to buy a mechanical keyboard and I had decided to go with red switches. The K90 really ticked all the boxes until I found out it was an hybrid. I understand the reasoning behind the move but the target market who are paying this sort of money expect a full mech keyboard so you will loose sales.

I will await the reviews and might be swayed but a full mech would have been an instant pre order.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:49 AM

POST ID # = 542827

Quote:
Anybody who is upset is over-reacting.
Kind of a blanket statement.

Name one fully mechanical keyboard that has proper media and macro keys, as well as backlighting.

There aren't any. And the K90 was so close.

Quote:
9 times out of 10, a company that relies on marketing or has dishonest or questionable marketing is selling an inferior product.
I will direct your attention to Beats Headphones, Bose Audio or *gasp* major American beers (no offense).
Definitely agree about Bose and Beats. I would also add Apple products, and Monster cables to that list, which are only priced high to give the illusion of quality.

Quote:
My no-direct-experience with Corsair has lead me to believe they are a legit and honest company, one that is worth spending the extra coin on.
I think they try to make good products, but don't always succeed.

Corsair's headphones have good build quality, though I think they are lacking in their drivers, and are pretty ordinary as far as sound quality.

If they contracted some other good headphones company to use their drivers, they could have something pretty good (Audio Technica, Beyerdynamic, AKG, Sennheiser - though i'm not sure any of them would be willing to let another company use their drivers).

Old 11-24-2011, 09:11 AM

POST ID # = 543352
Jhexp Reputation: 10

I'm disappointed by the choice to make the keyboard a Hybrid. I've been looking for a mechanical keyboard and came across the K90 which I immediately fell in love with, it appeared to have everything I wanted in a keyboard. After further research and finding out that it isn't infact a full mechanical keyboard I was extremely disappointed.

I'm a heavy user of the F keys and the silicon dome switches don't cut it for me. And the macro keys aswell. Sorry, but the accidentally hitting the keys excuse doesn't cut it for me....

If Corsair release a fully mechanical version I will be the first to buy it. Sure, it'll cost more but I don't care. The design and features (apart from the silicon switches) are perfect.

Old 11-24-2011, 10:05 AM

POST ID # = 543356
Svedge Reputation: 10

I'm waiting for a fully mechanical keyboard, hybrid is no deal. Until you fix the keyboard, I'm not your customer.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:56 AM
mt2e's PC Specs

POST ID # = 543725
mt2e Reputation: 10
Default Tomarrow

Newegg has this released tomorrow, everybody who is complaining about the non essential keys not being mechanical need to chill, there's dozens of mechanical boards out and some people are worried about his one?

Old 11-27-2011, 02:01 PM

POST ID # = 543767

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt2e View Post
Newegg has this released tomorrow, everybody who is complaining about the non essential keys not being mechanical need to chill
I'm sick of people saying this. It is a big deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt2e View Post
there's dozens of mechanical boards out and some people are worried about his one?
There are NO fully mechanical keyboards with backlighting, macro keys and proper media controls (I don't mean using Fn key modifiers, and in particular I want a volume wheel).

I don't care who makes it (unless they're involved in doing some horribly unethical things), there are no keyboards with the features I want. The K90 was so close though.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:10 PM
Alexnova's PC Specs

POST ID # = 543835
Alexnova Reputation: 10

Picking up both the Corsair K60 and M60. The K60 looks fantastic since I am mostly a FPS gamer, and I love the palm rest on the bottom of the keyboard. Great color too which matches my case/parts.

I think there is enough compromise to still make this an instant purcahse for me.

Old 11-28-2011, 01:06 AM
musicequips's PC Specs

POST ID # = 543865
musicequips Reputation: 31

You use the "F" keys quite a bit in "RAGE"...

Isn't the Zibal 60 mechanical and backlit?

Old 11-28-2011, 01:20 AM

POST ID # = 543870

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicequips View Post
Isn't the Zibal 60 mechanical and backlit?
No macro keys, no proper media keys, and I'd prefer MX-reds