The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Keyboards and Mice

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 25 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-21-2011, 04:56 PM

POST ID # = 536449
Naviblue Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM GUY View Post
Naviblue,

The 1,2,3,4,5.(unless you were referring to the f-1, f-2 keys etc.) key are cherry red.
The Esc and F-keys are dome.
Thanks for the clarification, I still have mine on preorder with Amazon and I hope it'll get to my house prior to BF3 and MW3 so I just test out how well it does, if the esc and F buttons do end up bothering me which may very well be the case, I'll just return the keyboard and write up my review.

Old 10-21-2011, 05:39 PM
ApokalipseMeow's PC Specs

POST ID # = 536466
ApokalipseMeow Reputation: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by xchrisbobisx View Post
Media controls? Most mechanical keyboards dont have those, those keyboards for typing and typing alone not gaming or media. Look at the Filco ninja, majestouch, HH, ducky or a topre realforce. None of that stuff. All that "bells and whistles" niche is already occupied by Razer, they dominate that market and their not going anywhere. Personally it sounds like a blackwidow is what your looking for.
The BWU doesn't even have proper 6KRO, media functionality is provided by some F keys only when used with an Fn key modifier, it doesn't have a volume WHEEL, and I've also heard that the soldering is not very good.
There are better keyboards than the BWU, and I have one.

But there are NO other mechanical keyboards with the same features as the K90; features that I've wanted in a full mechanical keyboard for quite a while. That's why I'm disappointed that it doesn't have full mechanical keys.
Quote:
Not looking to argue, its really this simple guys, if those rubber domes break the deal for you, uh...dont get it! Simple as that.
The reason I'm posting here is because while I am disappointed in their decision, it also seems Corsair actually appears to listen to people. And I'm hoping that if I and others tell them what we want, maybe they'll make it.

Quote:
I am merely pointing out the fact that the ONLY reason I would buy this keyboard is because of its aluminum frame. That is the thing we should be making a deal about, thats what makes this keyboard unique. I also really like the look, the whole "floating keys" look.
You appeared to be criticizing people for not liking the decision to use rubber domes, saying that the aluminium frame is what mattered.
I'm saying I do like the aluminium frame, but it doesn't compensate for the use of rubber domes.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:02 AM

POST ID # = 536751
tnettenba Reputation: 10

So I'd like to drop my 2c here, given that I'm cancelling my order because of this. I'm kind of offended that the KB Product manager is simply PR-ing about the reasons. Making certain keys that are used separately, not often and only once, rubber domes, that I can sort of get. But that's not what's been done. You've made the top row and the 'six-pack', rubber domes. No rhyme or reason to it other than cutting costs I presume. And now there's excuses being made as if they've carefully selected these keys.

That just doesn't ring true. I would believe that's the case if it were the F1-12 keys, PrtScr, ScrllLck, Pause/Brk and perhaps numlock. But no, there have been other keys included that shouldn't!

For example Esc. People use Esc alot, also in games - to reach menus. And I can only imagine it will be very jarring if you're gaming speedily (or typing) and you want to press escape quickly, only to find that your motor cortex gets a jump by a completely different feel of a key.

The same goes for Del. If you think about it, you use this key alot. In conjuction with other keys as well. Shift+Del, Ctrl+Alt+Del, going through a list and deleting certain items (switching between arrow keys and del fast and often). Shift+End(or home) and deleting a line. Repressing Del also happens alot when you try to delete a certain amount of letters.

For me, the same goes with home, end, PgUp and PgDwn. So this keyboard will probably give me a feel of jarriness, having to switch between MX Red and rubber domes constantly. One person on HardForum(i think) tried the keyboard already, and he conforms the uncomfortable jarriness that you feel when typing and either pressing Del or Esc.

All in all, a cheap solution to a minor (for some nonexistant) problem. MX Browns (or Blues) would have been more than enough, and you would have been heralded as innovators. Instead using rubber domes, you'll get bad PR with everyone thinking that Corsair is being cheap.

Last edited by tnettenba; 10-23-2011 at 11:06 AM.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:53 PM

POST ID # = 536857
tnettenba Reputation: 10

Initial reviews seem to confirm the speculated criticism > the rubber dome keys feel jarring in comparison.

Source:http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/sho...php?t=18332426
Some quotes:
"We firstly the mechanical switch keys seems good and very responsive to the touch and made the lovely clickity click noise. The membrain keys have the same pressure requirement to press them down which is better than I expected however I wish that Corsair had made it 100% mechanical, the difference in the feel is noticable and I am not a fan. The F1-F12 keys are fine to be honest, but after a bit of extended usage in Windows and in games I felt dissapointed with just 2 of the keys being membrane. ESC and the DELETE button on the 6 button cluster above the cursor keys. As I use them in games and in windows a lot."

Another user:
"Conversely, the corsair board uses cherry red switches which have a constant pressure throughout the keystroke, they are very nice to type on. The only thing that annoyed me is that I use esc and delete a lot and both of these keys are membrane based and not mechanical. This is not a massive problem but feels odd when you have typed a massive wall of text on mech switches."

And one more user (didn't use it extensively, the other two did):
"Took a few snaps today at LITS, i have to say, the Red switches are nice, but combined with the membrane switches, it just kills it. I use the F keys all the time for CSS gaming, as well as shortcuts in applications, the feel was not right. I also play a couple of games using arrow keys, End and PG Down felt awful in comparision to the red switches. The look it better in person, though because the keys along the top are lit by a single backlight, you get a weird dim blue behind the keys, it doesn't look as good as totally backlit keys like on the MK-80 or Zibal 60. A very expensive K90 should have done better"

By the way, do the keyboards have something like the O-ring dampeners that WASD keyboards sell? They seem to silence the keys almost completely.

Just posting because I care, by the way. The design, media keys, everything seems to be incredible, a great job in that department, definitely.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:00 PM

POST ID # = 537068
criton Reputation: 10

i am still going to get one, i own alot of corsair products and havent ever been disappointed in any product i have bought.

Old 10-26-2011, 08:13 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 537553
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

Thank you all for your input both positive and negative; the Product manager watches this section of the forum and is reading what you all have stated. So for us it's all good to see what you all like and do not like. So again thank you for taking the time to post your comments and concerns!

Old 10-27-2011, 08:55 AM

POST ID # = 537621
Naviblue Reputation: 10

I actually canceled my pre order with Amazon, it's taking way too long to arrive and I want to wait for some reviews to make a better decision. Sucks cause I really liked the keyboard....

Old 10-27-2011, 01:06 PM
fvbounty's PC Specs

POST ID # = 537653
fvbounty Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naviblue View Post
I actually canceled my pre order with Amazon, it's taking way too long to arrive and I want to wait for some reviews to make a better decision. Sucks cause I really liked the keyboard....
I know I've had the M60 mouse on order since Oct 5th and the K90 keyboard since Oct 18th, hope they get here before Christmas....LOL

Old 11-01-2011, 04:46 PM
Wrecks's PC Specs

POST ID # = 538648
Wrecks Reputation: 10

I fell in love with the beauty of the k60 and was so excited to find a mechanical keyboard that justified the cost. Then I found out that some of the keyboard is rubber domes, which wouldn't be a big deal if the del and esc keys were mech.

I frequently double tap esc, and on occasion the del key.

I'm not buying that the rubber domes are a 'design feature'.

And I am heartbroken that I will likely not be purchasing a gorgeous k60.

I am quite certain that spending the extra 20% or whatever on full mech would increase sales buy much more than needed to make up for the extra cost. That is, assuming that people will be told about the non mech keys.

PS: If you could find a way to make a kit for the esc/del key and package that, heck even charge for it, I would be sold and wouldn't even think twice about having to fix it myself.

Last edited by Wrecks; 11-01-2011 at 04:50 PM.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:39 PM
sketchiness abounds...
stratosrally's PC Specs

POST ID # = 538691
stratosrally Reputation: 10

I've already officially requested the K90 for my 47th birthday, and will be ordering the extra red keys for the K60 when they come available. I'll be using the WASD keys (after removing the lettering) for my directional arrows on the K90.
This is as close as I can get to a backlit K60, which would be my ideal Corsair keyboard. I have no qualms about some of the keys being rubber domes rather than mechanical, as the only non-mechanical keys I will use with any frequency while gaming are the 9 keys directly above the directional arrows.
That said, I only play FPS and driving games, so I can get away with mapping fewer keys than most...

Old 11-03-2011, 01:48 AM
xchrisbobisx's PC Specs

POST ID # = 538968
xchrisbobisx Reputation: 10

I actually just ordered a Das Model S, I cant stand the layout of my Steelseries 6GV2. I am also going to hold off on my order of the Corsair Vengeance keyboard, My sole reason is that I want a wrist rest with the K60. I dont need macro keys, and I dont want a blue LED. Is it really that hard to have a toggle-able blue green and red LED?

With so much criticism over the rubber dome keys I believe Corsair will indeed change them, even at the cost of marking the price up even more. Another reason to hold off for a while more. I kind of regret not getting the 800D case for my PC but I think I can wait for the k60 a bit longer. The red keycaps are a nice touch, for those of you who know how expensive and difficult it is to get custom keycaps. Oh I also wonder if the keycaps are injection molded that will earn big points with the mechanical keyboard aficionados. IMHO screw economical and price I just hope Corsair chooses unparalleled quality over price. The people who are going to buy it, are going to buy it regardless. Or atleast make a K100 or something as the flagship model to target that particular enthusiast niche.

Last edited by xchrisbobisx; 11-03-2011 at 01:55 AM.

Old 11-03-2011, 02:53 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 539086
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

The K-60 does not have back lit keys so that is not an issue with the K60.

And I don't see that much criticism only a few users who have expressed their dislike for the lack of Mechanical key's on all of the key's as we are sorry but that is the design. I am using the K-90 now and its awesome but still getting used to its feel. The main keys you use for gaming are all Mechanical including all of the number keys the only keys that are not are the Esc and F1-F112 and Print Scrn, Scroll Lock and Pause/Break Insert. Del PU and PD Home and End.
I think one should try the key Board before the Judge it. And I would suggest reading the reviews.

Old 11-04-2011, 05:27 AM
Rapid7's PC Specs

POST ID # = 539208
Rapid7 Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM GUY View Post
The K-60 does not have back lit keys so that is not an issue with the K60.

And I don't see that much criticism only a few users who have expressed their dislike for the lack of Mechanical key's on all of the key's as we are sorry but that is the design. I am using the K-90 now and its awesome but still getting used to its feel. The main keys you use for gaming are all Mechanical including all of the number keys the only keys that are not are the Esc and F1-F112 and Print Scrn, Scroll Lock and Pause/Break Insert. Del PU and PD Home and End.
I think one should try the key Board before the Judge it. And I would suggest reading the reviews.
I have read some reviews & they are saying what everyone else in this thread is saying "Why use rubber dome keys".You only have to look at the thread over at overclockers.co.uk & see people cancelling there corsair pre-orders & buying full mechanical keyboards from different manufacturers.

Last edited by Rapid7; 11-04-2011 at 05:32 AM.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:50 PM
HornetMaX's PC Specs

POST ID # = 539785
HornetMaX Reputation: 10

Can't really understand all the fuzz about a few non-mechanical keys. OK, Corsair should make it clear up-front (on the product pages, on the box), but after that ...

I play FPS only, hence my view could be a bit skewed, but still ... I do press ESC to access menus and similar, but it's hugely irrelevant if the ESC is mechanical or not. F1-F12 and the 6-block are even less relevant if possible. These keys are just non-critical while gaming. I would even go as far as saying that I don't care for mechanical even on the numpad ...

Any complain like "I use these keys in windows (i.e. during non-gaming use)" seems irrelevant too: these are gamers oriented keyboards. If you're a typist you'll find better options elsewhere, but then, don't ask for NKRO, response time, fancy WASD keys, backlight etc.

Personally (and I stress that that's just my opinion), between a keyboard that has non-mechanical keys on irrelevant spots, like the K60/90, and the exact same keyboard but fully mechanical, I would opt for the "hybrid" one even if the difference was as low as 10$.

I may admit the macro keys of the K90 could be mechanical for MMOs players, but even that is largerly arguable.

I'd like backlighting and/or a few macro keys on ther K60 much more than full mech setup (I know K90 has backlight and macro keys but hey, 18 macro keys ?! That's lot !).

I'm just waiting for the first (hopefully positive) reviews of the K60/90 before buying. I'm very willing to adming mechanical keys are superior, but I'm not gonna become a "mechanicaL key integrist" for no good reason.

MaX.

Old 11-07-2011, 04:05 AM

POST ID # = 539894
Culverin Reputation: 10

Ahem, just so that we keep this a bit more relevant.

Battlefield:
F-keys = switch Seats

Starcraft 2:
ESC = cancel unit selection

These are the two games I play the most.