The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Keyboards and Mice

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 541 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-17-2014, 12:02 AM
gyroknight's PC Specs

POST ID # = 736080
gyroknight Reputation: 10

I too would like to hear Corsair's response on this, considering how expensive these keyboards are. From what I've seen on competing RGB keyboards, their lighting effects are a lot smoother while Corsair's does have stuttering issues caused by lack of range of color. This is especially apparent with the pulsing red profile they include on the K95, where I can easily see distinct steps up and down from white to red. Hopefully this is just a software-side issue, but things aren't looking too good as of now.

Old 10-17-2014, 12:12 AM
Freek's PC Specs

POST ID # = 736081
Freek Reputation: 10

If this is really the case I might as well return mine. I am unable to run steam + cue. The Keys on my K70 RGB their mx cherry reds don't feel quite as good on other keyboards I've had before and now I am hearing all this 8x8x8 where 0x0x0 is also a color which is all the lights turned of Color limit Making it actually 7x7x7. Rather than the 256x256x256 advertised.

Last edited by Freek; 10-17-2014 at 07:00 AM.

Old 10-17-2014, 02:09 AM

POST ID # = 736094
mysticc Reputation: 10

This is becoming dangerous ground - maybe "false advertising" - so no official response from Corsair this fast does not make me wonder.
They have to be pretty careful now.

Old 10-17-2014, 08:45 AM
piiman's PC Specs

POST ID # = 736152
piiman Reputation: 20

If this is true you won't be getting an answer from them, probably on advice from the legal department. :-/

Although I can't imagine they didn't expect someone to figure it out so maybe they are just limiting it for now as they try to get a handle on this thing but it doesn't look good right now.

Old 10-17-2014, 11:21 AM
MustangGB's PC Specs

POST ID # = 736174
MustangGB Reputation: 10

Really hope this is fixable, waiting to hear more info from the Corsair engineers...

Old 10-17-2014, 12:01 PM
CORSAIR Beta Team

POST ID # = 736180
Inheritance Reputation: 41

They could be trying to get new chips in so it can actually display 16.8. but then again no matter how they handle this its corsair tramp stamp all over again but this time people actually have legal grounds to throw a fit.
Corsair USER Forums is NOT Corsair Tech Support

Old 10-17-2014, 12:03 PM
CORSAIR Beta Team

POST ID # = 736181
Inheritance Reputation: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital.Zilla View Post
Fantastic detective work Calc. I don't see how Corsair won't be having a suit on their hands for false advertising at this point. I hope I'm wrong though because I want them to fix it... but you can't beat physics.

I think you misunderstand. Doing a full brightness rainbow still requires you to fade each channel smoothly from full bright to zero bright which the hardware can't do. Simply set up a rainbow gradient (7 steps (R -> RG -> G -> GB -> B -> RB -> R) and make it play over 10 seconds and you'll see what we're talking about. Is that acceptable to you? It isn't to me, and I suspect to most people. Especially when the keyboard is being advertised as supporting 16.8 million colors.
ok yea i see it. Once you slow it down i see a lot more. I was running a rainbow wave pulsing at a 3 secs. Once i slowed it to 15 i saw what your talking about. and yea.... no not at all acceptable.
Corsair USER Forums is NOT Corsair Tech Support

Old 10-17-2014, 12:22 PM
Sir Bladey's PC Specs

POST ID # = 736186
Sir Bladey Reputation: 10

Wow, if this is right, I just might cancel my pre-order, after waiting so long since this was announced, after delays and the Corsair Gaming rebrand, I'm starting to wonder if I should get a different keyboard and mouse.

Old 10-17-2014, 01:45 PM
Glitchsmasher's PC Specs

POST ID # = 736207
Glitchsmasher Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Bladey View Post
Wow, if this is right, I just might cancel my pre-order, after waiting so long since this was announced, after delays and the Corsair Gaming rebrand, I'm starting to wonder if I should get a different keyboard and mouse.
Trouble with a lot of companies lately. I've had some problems with Sharkoon's customer service! I guess all peripheral companies are going to ****.

Old 10-17-2014, 03:57 PM
Perfected's PC Specs

POST ID # = 736248
Perfected Reputation: 10

Corsair done ****ed up big time.

Old 10-17-2014, 04:37 PM

POST ID # = 736257
petterroea Reputation: 10

Yup. I am really dissapointed that corsair, of all brands, would blatantly lie about the specs of the keyboard

Old 10-17-2014, 04:54 PM

POST ID # = 736263
R_Gtx Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalcProgrammer1 View Post

Edit:

The maximum interface clock frequency on this chip is 1MHz. As it is a matrix driver, it must continuously scan through all 144 LED configurations fast enough that it is solid to the eye. Say a 60Hz refresh rate is necessary, that means each LED frame is 1 / (144x60) seconds, or 115 us. Because the chip does not store an 8 bit value for each LED, if it were to actually support 8 bit per LED the CPU would have to update the 8-bit PWM register every 115us. This is likely a 2-byte command at least, as you need to specify the address to write. At 1MHz, a single bit time is 1 us, so a 16-bit command would be at absolute lowest 16us, not accounting for framing and chip select delays. This is assuming they are maxing out the interface speed. That is a VERY tight timing margin. Now they have 3 of these chips to update at this rate. Assuming they are all on one SPI bus, that is 48us minimum needed to update in a window of only 115us. It would need to update before sending any PWM at all, which further complicates things as it could mean up to 48us go by with no command at all. On top of this constant data streaming the CPU is still expected to scan the key matrix at 1ms rates and manage USB interfacing. With a max frequency of 50MHz (per above comments) this sounds like an obscene amount of workload that I honestly do not see being possible. The timing is just too extreme. I also believe the update rate is higher than 60Hz, as 60Hz flicker is quite visible on LEDs. I want to set up a photoresistor circuit and hook it to my oscilloscope tomorrow and actually measure the scan frequency.
Panasonic describe the AN3X series LED Drivers as being analogous to the GPU in a PC, therefore only transitions would have to be periodically updated. Regarding the constant keyboard polling, surely this would be handled by the mcu hardware interrupt controller. The most onerous task for the mcu would be interpreting the commands from the PC to instructing the AN32181B, surely within the capabilities of an ARM M0 (no fancy floating point or dsp instructions required).

Old 10-17-2014, 05:08 PM
CalcProgrammer1's PC Specs

POST ID # = 736267
CalcProgrammer1 Reputation: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Gtx View Post
PPanasonic describe the AN3X series LED Drivers as being analogous to the GPU in a PC, therefore only transitions would have to be periodically updated. Regarding the constant keyboard polling, surely this would be handled by the mcu hardware interrupt controller. The most onerous task for the mcu would be interpreting the commands from the PC to instructing the AN32181B, surely within the capabilities of an ARM M0 (no fancy floating point or dsp instructions required).
This is like a GPU with an 8 value color palette though. It might be able to do fades and wipes, but we want to command it with constant external data and have full color depth. There is no 8-bit-per-LED memory in the AN32181B so if we are to get 8 bits per LED the only way it's gonna happen is by streaming 8-bit data to the thing continuously., updating the palette every pixel. You could get by with updating the whole palette every 8 pixels as well I guess but that doesn't change much.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-17-2014, 05:12 PM
Sir Bladey's PC Specs

POST ID # = 736269
Sir Bladey Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitchsmasher View Post
Trouble with a lot of companies lately. I've had some problems with Sharkoon's customer service! I guess all peripheral companies are going to ****.
One of the best mice I ever had was a Sharkoon Fireglider. never had to contact their customer service though.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:17 PM

POST ID # = 736343
Riekopo Reputation: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyroknight View Post
I too would like to hear Corsair's response on this, considering how expensive these keyboards are. From what I've seen on competing RGB keyboards, their lighting effects are a lot smoother while Corsair's does have stuttering issues caused by lack of range of color. This is especially apparent with the pulsing red profile they include on the K95, where I can easily see distinct steps up and down from white to red. Hopefully this is just a software-side issue, but things aren't looking too good as of now.
So the competition's keyboards colors are smoother? That's the first time I've read that. Are there any reviews that talk about that?