The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Cooling

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 4.82 average. Display Modes
  #856  
Old 03-02-2016, 02:09 PM
rafamundez rafamundez is offline
Registered User
rafamundez's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 21
POST ID # = 840259
rafamundez Reputation: 10
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafamundez View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenCrusher View Post
Hey guys, I have an HG10 980 coming UPS today and I bought it mainly for stealth or quiet gaming... So do I need to replace the blower fan to silence this thing or is it acceptable compared to the stock fans blasting away?
I just got the HG10 N980 for my Titan X and the blower on it is very loud at idle temps which is a bit disconcerting. It is much louder than any other fan in my case, I'm guessing that is a manufacturing issue? Fan speed is 1680 RPM at idle temps (27 C) and 5% utilization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skhmt View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesleydn View Post
I have noticed that with the fan on the bracket, its loud and you cant control the full speed of it.. I stopped it from turning and my pc was dead silent, is there a way to change the speed to go really slow or stop when no under use like the normal GPU air coolers do?

You can swap your corsair fan with the nvidia blower fan. It'll fix the problem.
I didn't know we could swap out the corsair blower fan with the Nvidia blower fan. Could someone provide some instructions/pics on how to do it and how it ends up looking? Or is it better to do some sort of RMA for it?

So I just talked to Corsair and they told me that "it's a problem with you GPU PCB because it doesn't recognize the fan" which is ridiculous because the fan was just working fine with the stock Nvidia blower but not with the HG10 N980 yet somehow that is a problem with my GPU??

He advised me to connect the fan to a motherboard fan header to control the GPU blower fan. And when I told him that I had only 2 fan headers to begin with which are being used for the CPU cooler, GPU cooler, case fans, etc., he again advised me to purchase a fan controller hub. Just awful.

When I asked him about replacing the Corsair blower fan with the Nvidia stock blower fan (that was working fine with the stock cooler and ramping up/down properly, etc), he claimed that I would "still have the same problem because your PCB won't recognize the original fan" despite it being recognized and working perfectly fine for weeks before. Some great logic right there..
Reply With Quote


  #857  
Old 03-03-2016, 05:05 PM
nadal.komt nadal.komt is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 9
POST ID # = 840500
nadal.komt Reputation: 10
Default

Hi, I have connected second H110i gt(HG10 N980) on USB but corsair link does not detect it.
Reply With Quote


  #858  
Old 03-04-2016, 06:45 PM
savagepagan savagepagan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 18
POST ID # = 840669
savagepagan Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadal.komt View Post
Hi, I have connected second H110i gt(HG10 N980) on USB but corsair link does not detect it.
Maybe only one Link product at a time will work?
Reply With Quote


  #859  
Old 03-06-2016, 06:59 AM
ZoRzEr ZoRzEr is offline
Registered User
ZoRzEr's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 13
POST ID # = 840929
ZoRzEr Reputation: 10
Default

I have similar results with my installation as mentioned by a few good fellow geeks above.

Just bought the N980 for my PNY 980 Ti reference. After bolting it to the card I started on the H100i I had lying around and followed the instructions to attach it (without the included standoffs) to the new bracket. Two of the four screws holding in in place didn't tighten, they just kept screwing and bending the PCB the more I screwed them in. So I settled on a tightness that seemed to make the least amount of bending and most amount of contact with the actual GPU die.

So now I hooked up two Corsair SP120 fans to the radiator and just hung the radiator to the side while I inserted the card into the system. Connected the fans up to the motherboard, the H100 pump to SATA power and 3pin pump RPM header into a fan slot and fired her up.

Booted just fine. Noticed right away the included Corsair fan spun very fast and loud. Stopping the fan with my finger the system was completely silent. Launched MSI afterburner to see temps and at idle it was at 40°c. Launched Unigine valley for testing and kept afterburner open as a monitor. As soon as Valley launched the GPU temperature jumped to 91°c so I immediately shut it down and turned the system off.

Puzzled I removed the getup from the system and removed the H100i, thinking it hadn't made good contact with the die. Nope, the TIM was applied and spread across 90% of the GPU. The pump had power and the logo lit up. The fans were spinning and everything was registering as normal.

So I redid the TIM and tried again. This time around I tightened the screws more than finger tight like before and the PCB bent considerably. Reseated the card into the system and booted. This round it went exactly the same as before.

After reading these forums seeing people recommending swaping the stock coolers' fan for the one Corsair supplied I decided to call it a night and reattached the stock cooler wholesale to the GPU.

So, any thoughts on the matter? Something I did wrong? Please if you have suggestions let me know. I was looking forward to getting my GPU cooler and quieter.
Reply With Quote


  #860  
Old 03-06-2016, 10:02 AM
GenCrusher GenCrusher is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 26
POST ID # = 840944
GenCrusher Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoRzEr View Post
I have similar results with my installation as mentioned by a few good fellow geeks above.

Just bought the N980 for my PNY 980 Ti reference. After bolting it to the card I started on the H100i I had lying around and followed the instructions to attach it (without the included standoffs) to the new bracket. Two of the four screws holding in in place didn't tighten, they just kept screwing and bending the PCB the more I screwed them in. So I settled on a tightness that seemed to make the least amount of bending and most amount of contact with the actual GPU die.

So now I hooked up two Corsair SP120 fans to the radiator and just hung the radiator to the side while I inserted the card into the system. Connected the fans up to the motherboard, the H100 pump to SATA power and 3pin pump RPM header into a fan slot and fired her up.

Booted just fine. Noticed right away the included Corsair fan spun very fast and loud. Stopping the fan with my finger the system was completely silent. Launched MSI afterburner to see temps and at idle it was at 40°c. Launched Unigine valley for testing and kept afterburner open as a monitor. As soon as Valley launched the GPU temperature jumped to 91°c so I immediately shut it down and turned the system off.

Puzzled I removed the getup from the system and removed the H100i, thinking it hadn't made good contact with the die. Nope, the TIM was applied and spread across 90% of the GPU. The pump had power and the logo lit up. The fans were spinning and everything was registering as normal.

So I redid the TIM and tried again. This time around I tightened the screws more than finger tight like before and the PCB bent considerably. Reseated the card into the system and booted. This round it went exactly the same as before.

After reading these forums seeing people recommending swaping the stock coolers' fan for the one Corsair supplied I decided to call it a night and reattached the stock cooler wholesale to the GPU.

So, any thoughts on the matter? Something I did wrong? Please if you have suggestions let me know. I was looking forward to getting my GPU cooler and quieter.
Did you hand tighten and then screw in the 4 screws in an X pattern to get maximum contact?

Obviously the cooler is not making good contact with the GPU.

Sounds like the cooler is cockeyed on the GPU because of the two loose screws...

Is this just a matter of tightening all the screws evenly in an x pattern or is there another issue?

Last edited by GenCrusher; 03-06-2016 at 10:07 AM.
Reply With Quote


  #861  
Old 03-06-2016, 11:05 AM
ZoRzEr ZoRzEr is offline
Registered User
ZoRzEr's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 13
POST ID # = 840951
ZoRzEr Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenCrusher View Post
Did you hand tighten and then screw in the 4 screws in an X pattern to get maximum contact?

Obviously the cooler is not making good contact with the GPU.

Sounds like the cooler is cockeyed on the GPU because of the two loose screws...

Is this just a matter of tightening all the screws evenly in an x pattern or is there another issue?
I went in an X pattern both times. I didn't dare tighten more then I already had the second time since the PCB was curving like mad. I tried moving the actual pump unit around on the GPU the second go around and try to see if it wasn't making decent contact with the die. As far as I could discern the pump sat flush.

I am going to try again in a few moments. I will post photos and more info once finished.
Reply With Quote


  #862  
Old 03-06-2016, 11:33 AM
ZoRzEr ZoRzEr is offline
Registered User
ZoRzEr's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 13
POST ID # = 840955
ZoRzEr Reputation: 10
Default

The problem also is the fact that the fan on the N980 seems to spin at 50-60% constant and I can't change the fan curve. I am in the middle of disassembling the 980 Ti right now. Will post more info as it comes up.
Reply With Quote


  #863  
Old 03-06-2016, 01:27 PM
ZoRzEr ZoRzEr is offline
Registered User
ZoRzEr's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 13
POST ID # = 840975
ZoRzEr Reputation: 10
Default

So I just finished the reinstall.

The installation went smoothly. I forgot to mention before that one of the screws on the N980 won't line up with the PCB. This happened on all occasions I tried installing it. There are 6 total screws for the N980 plate to attach and the one in the middle row, facing towards the motherboard, was misaligned. See photo here: http://s29.postimg.org/5qlsxynuf/IMG_1145.jpg

I added TIM and placed the pump on the H100i on top with the bracket. I tightened the screws more the finger tight with a screwdriver until they would not move any further. Once that was done the PCB was bowing slightly, see photo: http://s29.postimg.org/7wg3sgrav/IMG_1151.jpg

I inserted the mangled mess into the computer and hooked up the two fans into the motherboard fan header and the pump to SATA power and RPM header into a spare fan header on the board. This is the ghetto setup atm: http://s29.postimg.org/ne3lw5xrr/IMG_1154.jpg.

Once the system booted I started taking a video on my phone of the results. The fan is unacceptably loud at 22%. I tried MSI Afterburner and ASUS GPU Tweak to try and set the fan curve or total fan noise. You can see better (and hear) in the video how the fan gets ridiculously loud over 60%. I ran Unigine Valley at both 720p and 1080p to monitor the temperature. It peaked at about 72°c in the 1080p run. It ran for about 20 minutes.

If I stop the fan with my finger it is barely audible at ~500rpm. According to HWmonitor it sit at 1660rpm at 22% (at least that was the percent MSI Afterburner was showing me).

Here is the video:

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote


  #864  
Old 03-06-2016, 03:06 PM
GenCrusher GenCrusher is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 26
POST ID # = 841014
GenCrusher Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoRzEr View Post
So I just finished the reinstall.

The installation went smoothly. I forgot to mention before that one of the screws on the N980 won't line up with the PCB. This happened on all occasions I tried installing it. There are 6 total screws for the N980 plate to attach and the one in the middle row, facing towards the motherboard, was misaligned. See photo here: http://s29.postimg.org/5qlsxynuf/IMG_1145.jpg

I added TIM and placed the pump on the H100i on top with the bracket. I tightened the screws more the finger tight with a screwdriver until they would not move any further. Once that was done the PCB was bowing slightly, see photo: http://s29.postimg.org/7wg3sgrav/IMG_1151.jpg

I inserted the mangled mess into the computer and hooked up the two fans into the motherboard fan header and the pump to SATA power and RPM header into a spare fan header on the board. This is the ghetto setup atm: http://s29.postimg.org/ne3lw5xrr/IMG_1154.jpg.

Once the system booted I started taking a video on my phone of the results. The fan is unacceptably loud at 22%. I tried MSI Afterburner and ASUS GPU Tweak to try and set the fan curve or total fan noise. You can see better (and hear) in the video how the fan gets ridiculously loud over 60%. I ran Unigine Valley at both 720p and 1080p to monitor the temperature. It peaked at about 72°c in the 1080p run. It ran for about 20 minutes.

If I stop the fan with my finger it is barely audible at ~500rpm. According to HWmonitor it sit at 1660rpm at 22% (at least that was the percent MSI Afterburner was showing me).

Here is the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcYYLMdEzmI

Thoughts?
That's weird my Corsair blower fan doesn't seem to make that noise I was hearing in the video... Although I have it set not to go over 60%. Have you tried plugging the blower fan into your MB instead of the GPU? Someone was suggesting that.

Also did you fix your Temp issue? What was causing it?

Last edited by GenCrusher; 03-06-2016 at 03:10 PM.
Reply With Quote


  #865  
Old 03-06-2016, 03:16 PM
ZoRzEr ZoRzEr is offline
Registered User
ZoRzEr's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 13
POST ID # = 841016
ZoRzEr Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenCrusher View Post
That's weird my Corsair blower fan doesn't seem to make that noise I was hearing in the video... Although I have it set not to go over 60%. Have you tried plugging the blower fan into your MB instead of the GPU? Someone was suggesting that.

Also did you fix your Temp issue? What was causing it?
The temp is still sitting at about 72°c at close to full load on Valley. I am about to remove the setup again and attach the stock fan onto the N980 itself, see if that makes a difference with the fan noise.

I would need a cable extension for the fan plug to go to 3pin fan header on the motherboard before I could test that out.

The plan is to get a H65 and stick it at the bottom instead of the H100i atm. That has the circular pump and needs the seperate standoffs included in the package. I am starting to wonder if that will fix the temperature. Right now it is sitting on a cool 27°c idle temp.

Either way there is something wrong with either the fan that came with the N980 or an incompatability with the PNY 980 Ti and the N980.
Reply With Quote


  #866  
Old 03-06-2016, 03:25 PM
GenCrusher GenCrusher is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 26
POST ID # = 841020
GenCrusher Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoRzEr View Post
The temp is still sitting at about 72°c at close to full load on Valley. I am about to remove the setup again and attach the stock fan onto the N980 itself, see if that makes a difference with the fan noise.

I would need a cable extension for the fan plug to go to 3pin fan header on the motherboard before I could test that out.

The plan is to get a H65 and stick it at the bottom instead of the H100i atm. That has the circular pump and needs the seperate standoffs included in the package. I am starting to wonder if that will fix the temperature. Right now it is sitting on a cool 27°c idle temp.

Either way there is something wrong with either the fan that came with the N980 or an incompatability with the PNY 980 Ti and the N980.
Looks like it might work out for you then since you have a stock NVidia fan on hand.

I have the H55 with the round cooler and I am getting 72C full load with an OC.

EVGA 980 TI SC

Last edited by GenCrusher; 03-06-2016 at 03:28 PM.
Reply With Quote


  #867  
Old 03-06-2016, 03:42 PM
ZoRzEr ZoRzEr is offline
Registered User
ZoRzEr's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 13
POST ID # = 841021
ZoRzEr Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenCrusher View Post
Looks like it might work out for you then since you have a stock NVidia fan on hand.

I have the H55 with the round cooler and I am getting 72C full load with an OC.

EVGA 980 TI SC
Alright, then that 72°c is maybe not something completely bonkers. I'd imagine though the H100i would cool it better. What is your idle temp?
Reply With Quote


  #868  
Old 03-06-2016, 04:48 PM
ZoRzEr ZoRzEr is offline
Registered User
ZoRzEr's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 13
POST ID # = 841029
ZoRzEr Reputation: 10
Default

Just removed the Corsair fan and installed the stock cooler fan and it's night and day. The volume is what you'd expect at idle. But now the PCB is considerably more bent than before and the temperature rockets to 85°c in seconds after launching Valley.

Will have to reseat the pump again. It seems to be incredibly finnicky towards the mounting of the cooler to the N980. This is my fifth time and I can't seem to figure out what is the cause of it.

Here's to another intallation attempt!
Reply With Quote


  #869  
Old 03-06-2016, 06:04 PM
ZoRzEr ZoRzEr is offline
Registered User
ZoRzEr's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 13
POST ID # = 841047
ZoRzEr Reputation: 10
Default

And after the sixth attempt...

It went super smooth actually. I followed Corsair Dustin's advice on the installation here : http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showpost...9&postcount=35

The fifth attempt went horribly wrong. I overtightened the screws so much that the PCB was curved like a banana. Temps rocketed to 85°c within seconds of launching Valley.

What I changed the sixth time around is I watched to only lightly fasten the N980 backplate and only tightened the H100i pump finger tight in an x pattern. I also rotated the pump on the cooler and the hoses now face outwards from the motherboard.

Right now the 980 Ti is sitting at about 27°c at idle and just hit right this second 66°c at full load running Unigine Valley at 1440p everything maxed. It is much better then the temps I was getting on the previous attempts. I am incredibly relieved right now

So to recap:

1. For me the stock Corsair fan was incredibly loud and seemed to vibrate. I removed it and installed the Nvidia stock cooler fan. It is much quieter and runs steady at 22% RPM according to MSI Afterburner.
2. Don't overdo the screws on the N980 bracket as it seems to bend the PCB. In my case the PCB was warping considerably and most likely causing improper contact between the pump and GPU die.
3. Once fitting the pump for your Hydro cooler don't tighten the bracket holding the pump with a screwdriver, only finger tight.
4. There seems to be no way around the fact that the N980 bends the PCB slightly. I can live with the bend right now. It's more like sagging at the rear.

Here are some images for you viewing pleasure.

Disassembling the stock Nvidia cooler


The fan attached


Looks better imo


This was the fifth attempt, you can see the bend


This is how it looks now, pump hoses rotated the bend is much less noticable.


This is how it looks now


Thanks for reading and sorry about the multiple posts in a row. I'll post again once the H65 ships and that is installed in the bottom. Will post before and after temps. Also got some Noctua fans laying around that need to go in.
Reply With Quote


  #870  
Old 03-07-2016, 01:53 AM
GenCrusher GenCrusher is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 26
POST ID # = 841080
GenCrusher Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoRzEr View Post
Thanks for reading and sorry about the multiple posts in a row. I'll post again once the H65 ships and that is installed in the bottom. Will post before and after temps. Also got some Noctua fans laying around that need to go in.
Nice work.. we had similar adventures on this one.

Every screw on this bad boy has to be perfect or it will warp that's for sure.

Luckily Im using my EVGA back plate for strength and I can tighten the screw's and not warp as bad but even with the back plate I can over tighten that screw in the middle/side and warp the board.

All together im happy with the giant OC I got while still maintaining a cooler temp and managing to silence the stock fans all at the same time! 3 birds one stone.

My only con is that for sure the bracket should have more/better mounting to the card and especially around the GPU area on the next version. I read there were design limitation on the NVidia card though. Maybe next time!

Let us know how it goes when you get the new cooler ZoRzEr.

Cheers!

Last edited by GenCrusher; 03-07-2016 at 02:02 AM.
Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.