Corsair Community

HG10 N980 & N970 Thread - Post Issues Here

TheDudeLasse

Hey guys, I have an HG10 980 coming UPS today and I bought it mainly for stealth or quiet gaming... So do I need to replace the blower fan to silence this thing or is it acceptable compared to the stock fans blasting away?

I just got the HG10 N980 for my Titan X and the blower on it is very loud at idle temps which is a bit disconcerting. It is much louder than any other fan in my case, I'm guessing that is a manufacturing issue? Fan speed is 1680 RPM at idle temps (27 C) and 5% utilization.

I have noticed that with the fan on the bracket, its loud and you cant control the full speed of it.. I stopped it from turning and my pc was dead silent, is there a way to change the speed to go really slow or stop when no under use like the normal GPU air coolers do?

You can swap your corsair fan with the nvidia blower fan. It'll fix the problem.

I didn't know we could swap out the corsair blower fan with the Nvidia blower fan. Could someone provide some instructions/pics on how to do it and how it ends up looking? Or is it better to do some sort of RMA for it?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Edited by rafamundez

• Replies 928
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EDIT #2 My OCD kicked in and with a few normal hardware screws and nuts I had laying around I was able to custom install the backplate on my EVGA 980 TI SC ACX 2.0+ along with the HG10 bracket. It was a PITA to take apart again but the PCB has a lot more strength now and it is not bending as much, The GPU also seems to be making better contact with the cooler since its straighter now.

Can you post some pics of it with the backplate on? I was considering ordering a backplate for my Titan X for this exact reason; I figured the backplate would strengthen the PCB and help prevent it from bending.

Thanks!!

Alright I got the HG10 installed on my 980 TI and I have no problems with the blower fan but my question is how tight should the m3 screws be? The manual says snug and not to over torque... Should the m3 screws be screwed in all the way or just tell they start to get snug??

I have mine to where the screws are snug but I can still see a little thread left on a couple of the screws...

Idle temps 32c / load temp 60c.

EDIT #1: I took the card and bracket out for closer inspection and what I found was that the screws have to be pretty close to all the way screwed in or the thermal pads wont touch... but in doing so the tighter the screws are the more it bends the PCB!

I just tried to tighten the screws to where there was the most minimal bend in the PCB but the pads were still touching.

Will report back if I have any problems.

EDIT #2 My OCD kicked in and with a few normal hardware screws and nuts I had laying around I was able to custom install the backplate on my EVGA 980 TI SC ACX 2.0+ along with the HG10 bracket. It was a PITA to take apart again but the PCB has a lot more strength now and it is not bending as much, The GPU also seems to be making better contact with the cooler since its straighter now.

Pics would be awesome please.

Can you post some pics of it with the backplate on? I was considering ordering a backplate for my Titan X for this exact reason; I figured the backplate would strengthen the PCB and help prevent it from bending.

Thanks!!

If you have a problem and no one else can help, maybe you can hire these guys.. ::pirate:: ----- >

[ame]

[/ame]

Alright guys here are some pics of the custom backplate install on my EVGA 980 TI SC+ with the HG10 like you asked for.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff26/HeroCrusher/IMG_20160302_080039529.jpg

This screw was so close to the GPU that I had to file the head down so the screw head didnt get in the way of the cooler. "Actually I used my dads grinder on the screw head and it only took me a minute or two to get the head flat". If you get some small nuts for your screws the grinding could be avoided all together probably but I was using the larger black standoffs I had on hand so that I didn't have to make that trip to the hardware store.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff26/HeroCrusher/IMG_20160302_080045722.jpg

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff26/HeroCrusher/IMG_20160302_080052097.jpg

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff26/HeroCrusher/IMG_20160302_080105797.jpg

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff26/HeroCrusher/IMG_20160302_075605683.jpg

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff26/HeroCrusher/IMG_20160302_080905732.jpg

These are the two round head screws I had in my hardware collection. The longer screw is the one you want it will give you enough thread to screw into the HG10 bracket and has the correct threading. The black nuts/standoff's were leftover from a Corsair cooler so I made use of them. There is just enough thread on the screws to go into the bracket so be gentle with the threads and don't over tighten the screws just help snug them into the HG10 bracket and its smooth sailing... Let me know if you guys have any questions. :D:

Edited by GenCrusher

Hey guys, I have an HG10 980 coming UPS today and I bought it mainly for stealth or quiet gaming... So do I need to replace the blower fan to silence this thing or is it acceptable compared to the stock fans blasting away?

I just got the HG10 N980 for my Titan X and the blower on it is very loud at idle temps which is a bit disconcerting. It is much louder than any other fan in my case, I'm guessing that is a manufacturing issue? Fan speed is 1680 RPM at idle temps (27 C) and 5% utilization.

I have noticed that with the fan on the bracket, its loud and you cant control the full speed of it.. I stopped it from turning and my pc was dead silent, is there a way to change the speed to go really slow or stop when no under use like the normal GPU air coolers do?

You can swap your corsair fan with the nvidia blower fan. It'll fix the problem.

I didn't know we could swap out the corsair blower fan with the Nvidia blower fan. Could someone provide some instructions/pics on how to do it and how it ends up looking? Or is it better to do some sort of RMA for it?

So I just talked to Corsair and they told me that "it's a problem with you GPU PCB because it doesn't recognize the fan" :mad: which is ridiculous because the fan was just working fine with the stock Nvidia blower but not with the HG10 N980 yet somehow that is a problem with my GPU??

He advised me to connect the fan to a motherboard fan header to control the GPU blower fan. And when I told him that I had only 2 fan headers to begin with which are being used for the CPU cooler, GPU cooler, case fans, etc., he again advised me to purchase a fan controller hub. Just awful.

When I asked him about replacing the Corsair blower fan with the Nvidia stock blower fan (that was working fine with the stock cooler and ramping up/down properly, etc), he claimed that I would "still have the same problem because your PCB won't recognize the original fan" despite it being recognized and working perfectly fine for weeks before. Some great logic right there..

I have similar results with my installation as mentioned by a few good fellow geeks above.

Just bought the N980 for my PNY 980 Ti reference. After bolting it to the card I started on the H100i I had lying around and followed the instructions to attach it (without the included standoffs) to the new bracket. Two of the four screws holding in in place didn't tighten, they just kept screwing and bending the PCB the more I screwed them in. So I settled on a tightness that seemed to make the least amount of bending and most amount of contact with the actual GPU die.

So now I hooked up two Corsair SP120 fans to the radiator and just hung the radiator to the side while I inserted the card into the system. Connected the fans up to the motherboard, the H100 pump to SATA power and 3pin pump RPM header into a fan slot and fired her up.

Booted just fine. Noticed right away the included Corsair fan spun very fast and loud. Stopping the fan with my finger the system was completely silent. Launched MSI afterburner to see temps and at idle it was at 40°c. Launched Unigine valley for testing and kept afterburner open as a monitor. As soon as Valley launched the GPU temperature jumped to 91°c so I immediately shut it down and turned the system off.

Puzzled I removed the getup from the system and removed the H100i, thinking it hadn't made good contact with the die. Nope, the TIM was applied and spread across 90% of the GPU. The pump had power and the logo lit up. The fans were spinning and everything was registering as normal.

So I redid the TIM and tried again. This time around I tightened the screws more than finger tight like before and the PCB bent considerably. Reseated the card into the system and booted. This round it went exactly the same as before.

After reading these forums seeing people recommending swaping the stock coolers' fan for the one Corsair supplied I decided to call it a night and reattached the stock cooler wholesale to the GPU.

So, any thoughts on the matter? Something I did wrong? Please if you have suggestions let me know. I was looking forward to getting my GPU cooler and quieter.

I have similar results with my installation as mentioned by a few good fellow geeks above.

Just bought the N980 for my PNY 980 Ti reference. After bolting it to the card I started on the H100i I had lying around and followed the instructions to attach it (without the included standoffs) to the new bracket. Two of the four screws holding in in place didn't tighten, they just kept screwing and bending the PCB the more I screwed them in. So I settled on a tightness that seemed to make the least amount of bending and most amount of contact with the actual GPU die.

So now I hooked up two Corsair SP120 fans to the radiator and just hung the radiator to the side while I inserted the card into the system. Connected the fans up to the motherboard, the H100 pump to SATA power and 3pin pump RPM header into a fan slot and fired her up.

Booted just fine. Noticed right away the included Corsair fan spun very fast and loud. Stopping the fan with my finger the system was completely silent. Launched MSI afterburner to see temps and at idle it was at 40°c. Launched Unigine valley for testing and kept afterburner open as a monitor. As soon as Valley launched the GPU temperature jumped to 91°c so I immediately shut it down and turned the system off.

Puzzled I removed the getup from the system and removed the H100i, thinking it hadn't made good contact with the die. Nope, the TIM was applied and spread across 90% of the GPU. The pump had power and the logo lit up. The fans were spinning and everything was registering as normal.

So I redid the TIM and tried again. This time around I tightened the screws more than finger tight like before and the PCB bent considerably. Reseated the card into the system and booted. This round it went exactly the same as before.

After reading these forums seeing people recommending swaping the stock coolers' fan for the one Corsair supplied I decided to call it a night and reattached the stock cooler wholesale to the GPU.

So, any thoughts on the matter? Something I did wrong? Please if you have suggestions let me know. I was looking forward to getting my GPU cooler and quieter.

Did you hand tighten and then screw in the 4 screws in an X pattern to get maximum contact?

Obviously the cooler is not making good contact with the GPU.

Sounds like the cooler is cockeyed on the GPU because of the two loose screws...

Is this just a matter of tightening all the screws evenly in an x pattern or is there another issue?

Edited by GenCrusher

Did you hand tighten and then screw in the 4 screws in an X pattern to get maximum contact?

Obviously the cooler is not making good contact with the GPU.

Sounds like the cooler is cockeyed on the GPU because of the two loose screws...

Is this just a matter of tightening all the screws evenly in an x pattern or is there another issue?

I went in an X pattern both times. I didn't dare tighten more then I already had the second time since the PCB was curving like mad. I tried moving the actual pump unit around on the GPU the second go around and try to see if it wasn't making decent contact with the die. As far as I could discern the pump sat flush.

I am going to try again in a few moments. I will post photos and more info once finished.

The problem also is the fact that the fan on the N980 seems to spin at 50-60% constant and I can't change the fan curve. I am in the middle of disassembling the 980 Ti right now. Will post more info as it comes up.

So I just finished the reinstall.

The installation went smoothly. I forgot to mention before that one of the screws on the N980 won't line up with the PCB. This happened on all occasions I tried installing it. There are 6 total screws for the N980 plate to attach and the one in the middle row, facing towards the motherboard, was misaligned. See photo here: http://s29.postimg.org/5qlsxynuf/IMG_1145.jpg

I added TIM and placed the pump on the H100i on top with the bracket. I tightened the screws more the finger tight with a screwdriver until they would not move any further. Once that was done the PCB was bowing slightly, see photo: http://s29.postimg.org/7wg3sgrav/IMG_1151.jpg

I inserted the mangled mess into the computer and hooked up the two fans into the motherboard fan header and the pump to SATA power and RPM header into a spare fan header on the board. This is the ghetto setup atm: http://s29.postimg.org/ne3lw5xrr/IMG_1154.jpg.

Once the system booted I started taking a video on my phone of the results. The fan is unacceptably loud at 22%. I tried MSI Afterburner and ASUS GPU Tweak to try and set the fan curve or total fan noise. You can see better (and hear) in the video how the fan gets ridiculously loud over 60%. I ran Unigine Valley at both 720p and 1080p to monitor the temperature. It peaked at about 72°c in the 1080p run. It ran for about 20 minutes.

If I stop the fan with my finger it is barely audible at ~500rpm. According to HWmonitor it sit at 1660rpm at 22% (at least that was the percent MSI Afterburner was showing me).

Here is the video: [ame]

[/ame]

Thoughts?

So I just finished the reinstall.

The installation went smoothly. I forgot to mention before that one of the screws on the N980 won't line up with the PCB. This happened on all occasions I tried installing it. There are 6 total screws for the N980 plate to attach and the one in the middle row, facing towards the motherboard, was misaligned. See photo here: http://s29.postimg.org/5qlsxynuf/IMG_1145.jpg

I added TIM and placed the pump on the H100i on top with the bracket. I tightened the screws more the finger tight with a screwdriver until they would not move any further. Once that was done the PCB was bowing slightly, see photo: http://s29.postimg.org/7wg3sgrav/IMG_1151.jpg

I inserted the mangled mess into the computer and hooked up the two fans into the motherboard fan header and the pump to SATA power and RPM header into a spare fan header on the board. This is the ghetto setup atm: http://s29.postimg.org/ne3lw5xrr/IMG_1154.jpg.

Once the system booted I started taking a video on my phone of the results. The fan is unacceptably loud at 22%. I tried MSI Afterburner and ASUS GPU Tweak to try and set the fan curve or total fan noise. You can see better (and hear) in the video how the fan gets ridiculously loud over 60%. I ran Unigine Valley at both 720p and 1080p to monitor the temperature. It peaked at about 72°c in the 1080p run. It ran for about 20 minutes.

If I stop the fan with my finger it is barely audible at ~500rpm. According to HWmonitor it sit at 1660rpm at 22% (at least that was the percent MSI Afterburner was showing me).

Here is the video:

Thoughts?

That's weird my Corsair blower fan doesn't seem to make that noise I was hearing in the video... Although I have it set not to go over 60%. Have you tried plugging the blower fan into your MB instead of the GPU? Someone was suggesting that.

Also did you fix your Temp issue? What was causing it?

Edited by GenCrusher

That's weird my Corsair blower fan doesn't seem to make that noise I was hearing in the video... Although I have it set not to go over 60%. Have you tried plugging the blower fan into your MB instead of the GPU? Someone was suggesting that.

Also did you fix your Temp issue? What was causing it?

The temp is still sitting at about 72°c at close to full load on Valley. I am about to remove the setup again and attach the stock fan onto the N980 itself, see if that makes a difference with the fan noise.

I would need a cable extension for the fan plug to go to 3pin fan header on the motherboard before I could test that out.

The plan is to get a H65 and stick it at the bottom instead of the H100i atm. That has the circular pump and needs the seperate standoffs included in the package. I am starting to wonder if that will fix the temperature. Right now it is sitting on a cool 27°c idle temp.

Either way there is something wrong with either the fan that came with the N980 or an incompatability with the PNY 980 Ti and the N980.

The temp is still sitting at about 72°c at close to full load on Valley. I am about to remove the setup again and attach the stock fan onto the N980 itself, see if that makes a difference with the fan noise.

I would need a cable extension for the fan plug to go to 3pin fan header on the motherboard before I could test that out.

The plan is to get a H65 and stick it at the bottom instead of the H100i atm. That has the circular pump and needs the seperate standoffs included in the package. I am starting to wonder if that will fix the temperature. Right now it is sitting on a cool 27°c idle temp.

Either way there is something wrong with either the fan that came with the N980 or an incompatability with the PNY 980 Ti and the N980.

Looks like it might work out for you then since you have a stock NVidia fan on hand.

I have the H55 with the round cooler and I am getting 72C full load with an OC.

EVGA 980 TI SC

Edited by GenCrusher
  • Confused 1

Looks like it might work out for you then since you have a stock NVidia fan on hand.

I have the H55 with the round cooler and I am getting 72C full load with an OC.

EVGA 980 TI SC

Alright, then that 72°c is maybe not something completely bonkers. I'd imagine though the H100i would cool it better. What is your idle temp?

Just removed the Corsair fan and installed the stock cooler fan and it's night and day. The volume is what you'd expect at idle. But now the PCB is considerably more bent than before and the temperature rockets to 85°c in seconds after launching Valley. :sigh!:

Will have to reseat the pump again. It seems to be incredibly finnicky towards the mounting of the cooler to the N980. This is my fifth time and I can't seem to figure out what is the cause of it.

Here's to another intallation attempt! :sunglasse

And after the sixth attempt...

It went super smooth actually. I followed Corsair Dustin's advice on the installation here : http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showpost.php?p=819209&postcount=35

The fifth attempt went horribly wrong. I overtightened the screws so much that the PCB was curved like a banana. Temps rocketed to 85°c within seconds of launching Valley.

What I changed the sixth time around is I watched to only lightly fasten the N980 backplate and only tightened the H100i pump finger tight in an x pattern. I also rotated the pump on the cooler and the hoses now face outwards from the motherboard.

Right now the 980 Ti is sitting at about 27°c at idle and just hit right this second 66°c at full load running Unigine Valley at 1440p everything maxed. It is much better then the temps I was getting on the previous attempts. I am incredibly relieved right now :laughing:

So to recap:

1. For me the stock Corsair fan was incredibly loud and seemed to vibrate. I removed it and installed the Nvidia stock cooler fan. It is much quieter and runs steady at 22% RPM according to MSI Afterburner.

2. Don't overdo the screws on the N980 bracket as it seems to bend the PCB. In my case the PCB was warping considerably and most likely causing improper contact between the pump and GPU die.

3. Once fitting the pump for your Hydro cooler don't tighten the bracket holding the pump with a screwdriver, only finger tight.

4. There seems to be no way around the fact that the N980 bends the PCB slightly. I can live with the bend right now. It's more like sagging at the rear.

Here are some images for you viewing pleasure.

Disassembling the stock Nvidia cooler

http://s27.postimg.org/a68muwr37/IMG_0316.jpg

The fan attached

http://s27.postimg.org/6p6krxs0z/IMG_0317.jpg

Looks better imo

http://s27.postimg.org/ahq37o7j7/IMG_0318.jpg

This was the fifth attempt, you can see the bend

http://s27.postimg.org/js27b7i8z/IMG_0320.jpg

This is how it looks now, pump hoses rotated the bend is much less noticable.

http://s27.postimg.org/njbrxivxf/IMG_0323.jpg

This is how it looks now

http://s12.postimg.org/3pcig01rx/IMG_0325.jpg

Thanks for reading and sorry about the multiple posts in a row. I'll post again once the H65 ships and that is installed in the bottom. Will post before and after temps. Also got some Noctua fans laying around that need to go in.

Thanks for reading and sorry about the multiple posts in a row. I'll post again once the H65 ships and that is installed in the bottom. Will post before and after temps. Also got some Noctua fans laying around that need to go in.

Nice work.. we had similar adventures on this one.

Every screw on this bad boy has to be perfect or it will warp that's for sure.

Luckily Im using my EVGA back plate for strength and I can tighten the screw's and not warp as bad but even with the back plate I can over tighten that screw in the middle/side and warp the board.

All together im happy with the giant OC I got while still maintaining a cooler temp and managing to silence the stock fans all at the same time! 3 birds one stone.

My only con is that for sure the bracket should have more/better mounting to the card and especially around the GPU area on the next version. I read there were design limitation on the NVidia card though. Maybe next time!

Let us know how it goes when you get the new cooler ZoRzEr.

Cheers!

Edited by GenCrusher

So I got the H75 installed on the N980 about 2 hours ago. The temperature is not ideal. It stays around 30°c at idle and gets up to 84°c full load. The pump is connected to a FAN_OPT header on the board running at 100% RPM. Got one fan on the radiator pushing air from the bottom of the R5 case atm. Might go push/pull to see if it makes a difference.

I've tested tightening and giving the thumb screws some space with no change. You can actually move the pump slightly side to side on the cooler now. The plan now is to reseat the pump with something other then the stock TIM applied.

Everything gets extremely warm to the touch around the N980 bracket and radiator. Much easier to maneuver the whole setup, which is nice this time around. Looks cleaner as well.

Update once I've finished the reapply.

Reapplied TIM and reseated the H75 and pretty much identical temps. It gradually went from 33°c from boot to 85°c in about 5 minutes. After that I shut down Valley. Let the GPU get down to about 58°c and then started again and it jumped to 70°c in 2 seconds. Then gradually climbs above 85°c.

Any ideas?