The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Cases

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-05-2009, 06:40 PM
amcfarla amcfarla is offline
Registered User
amcfarla's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Northglenn, CO
Posts: 36
POST ID # = 419587
amcfarla Reputation: 20
Default Obsidian 800D case at Micro Center - $219.99

If you by chance live near a Micro Center computer store they are selling the Corsair Obsidian 800D for $219.99 on 10/5. I believe you can also get that price shipped to you. At that moment that is the lowest price I have seen. Unfortunately I paid $279.99 at newegg.com for the case a week and a half ago. Here is the link for the item http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0316595
Reply With Quote


  #2  
Old 10-05-2009, 08:40 PM
boogieman boogieman is offline
Registered User
boogieman's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 237
POST ID # = 419613
boogieman Reputation: 10
Default

Nice find.
Reply With Quote


  #3  
Old 10-05-2009, 08:42 PM
curlysir curlysir is offline
Registered User
curlysir's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 218
POST ID # = 419614
curlysir Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcfarla View Post
If you by chance live near a Micro Center computer store they are selling the Corsair Obsidian 800D for $219.99 on 10/5. I believe you can also get that price shipped to you. At that moment that is the lowest price I have seen. Unfortunately I paid $279.99 at newegg.com for the case a week and a half ago. Here is the link for the item http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0316595
I also bought mine from Newegg for $279.99 with free shipping. Where I live I would have to drive about 80 miles one way to the nearest Micro Center and pay 8.25% sales taxes and it would take at least 4 hours to do this. For me the $60 disappears real quick, now if I lived close to a Micro Center it would be another story. One advantage to in store pickup is that you can look at the shipping carton for mishandling. Hopefully they receive their in better shape then some of the first shipments.
Reply With Quote


  #4  
Old 10-05-2009, 11:47 PM
slamscaper's Avatar
slamscaper slamscaper is offline
Registered User
slamscaper's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 47
POST ID # = 419633
slamscaper Reputation: 10
Default

Aw, man! Why'd you have to post this and ruin my day!! (I already paid $279 USD).

Just kidding...

Truthfully, I'd kill to have ANY retail store close to me that sells enthusiast hardware. All the stores around me that deal with PC's just sell "average Joe" PC's because there's just no market for high-end gear in my area. Only upgrades available are hdd's, optical drives, low-end GPU's, or RAM. Can't get mobo's, CPUs, high-end GPU's, or even ATX cases locally.

I can't imagine how nice it would be to be able to return parts without paying shipping, or not have to worry at all about sensitive components getting damaged in transit to my home.
Reply With Quote


  #5  
Old 10-06-2009, 10:50 AM
amcfarla amcfarla is offline
Registered User
amcfarla's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Northglenn, CO
Posts: 36
POST ID # = 419675
amcfarla Reputation: 20
Default

Looks like it was a one day special, since the link no longer is active and doing a search on the site is not bringing up anything for that case. It maybe active later, but at the moment the case is not available.
Reply With Quote


  #6  
Old 10-06-2009, 04:14 PM
x509 x509 is offline
Registered User
x509's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 432
POST ID # = 419751
x509 Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamscaper View Post
Aw, man! Why'd you have to post this and ruin my day!! (I already paid $279 USD).

Just kidding...

Truthfully, I'd kill to have ANY retail store close to me that sells enthusiast hardware. All the stores around me that deal with PC's just sell "average Joe" PC's because there's just no market for high-end gear in my area. Only upgrades available are hdd's, optical drives, low-end GPU's, or RAM. Can't get mobo's, CPUs, high-end GPU's, or even ATX cases locally.

I can't imagine how nice it would be to be able to return parts without paying shipping, or not have to worry at all about sensitive components getting damaged in transit to my home.
Slamscraper,

I live almost walking distance from a Fry's Electronics, but I still do all my purchases at newegg. Fry's was once upon a time a great place to shop, with good choices and excellent prices, but no longer. I pay the same sales tax at Fry's locally or if I buy from newegg, and I pay shipping on most items. But Fry's prices are lousy, you never know when you are buying something was was returned (defective or missing parts) and re-shrinkwrapped, and the selection isn't always so good. And the Fry's staff is like, useless, sometimes they don't even know which aisle the merchandise is on.

So I hope you feel better now.
Reply With Quote


  #7  
Old 10-06-2009, 09:23 PM
slamscaper's Avatar
slamscaper slamscaper is offline
Registered User
slamscaper's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 47
POST ID # = 419825
slamscaper Reputation: 10
Default

Yeah, that does make me feel a bit better.... Thanks....

Newegg is a godsend. Their prices are usually the best around and their customer service is second to none. The only complaint I could possibly make regarding Newegg would be that they have become a bit commercialized. What I mean by that is, if you want to get little more creative or extreme with one of your builds you need to look elsewhere, because Newegg only tends to stock the more popular items.

Liquid cooling gear is a good example. Newegg stocks next to nothing in this area. They do carry some LC hardware and you can buy a whole kit from them if you like, but there's only a handful to choose from. They don't offer any kind of extras (like sleeved cabling or modded side panels) unless it's something the manufacturer is offering.

As far as stores like Fry's Electronics, I'd still like to have the option to buy enthusiast class hardware locally. Sometimes, you need a particular component ASAP, and if it's Thursday or Friday ordering from Newegg will set you back until the next week being that UPS and FedEX will not deliver on the weekends. It can be very frustrating having to wait for parts to get to you. Overnight shipping is now astronomically expensive, and there's no guarantee that it will ship the following day after ordering anyway. Sometimes, I'd gladly pay a little extra to get my part immediately, but this depends on the situation of course.
Reply With Quote


  #8  
Old 10-07-2009, 12:26 AM
x509 x509 is offline
Registered User
x509's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 432
POST ID # = 419848
x509 Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamscaper View Post
Yeah, that does make me feel a bit better.... Thanks....

Newegg is a godsend. Their prices are usually the best around and their customer service is second to none. The only complaint I could possibly make regarding Newegg would be that they have become a bit commercialized. What I mean by that is, if you want to get little more creative or extreme with one of your builds you need to look elsewhere, because Newegg only tends to stock the more popular items.
True enough. However, most of the time I'm buying "popular" type items, and aside from all the other newegg goodness, the user reviews have saved me more than once from a bad purchase. It's my GO TO place for PC parts.

Having said that, I would never think to buy say camera stuff from Newegg. For camera stuff, it's B&H Photo in NYC. (but that's offtopic here. )

Quote:
Liquid cooling gear is a good example. Newegg stocks next to nothing in this area. They do carry some LC hardware and you can buy a whole kit from them if you like, but there's only a handful to choose from. They don't offer any kind of extras (like sleeved cabling or modded side panels) unless it's something the manufacturer is offering.
True enough. However, I've discovered a whole bunch of specialty places with names like frozenCPU. Also Petra's Tech Shop. I've never bought anything from these places, so I wouldn't place an order until I checked resellerratings.

Quote:
As far as stores like Fry's Electronics, I'd still like to have the option to buy enthusiast class hardware locally. Sometimes, you need a particular component ASAP, and if it's Thursday or Friday ordering from Newegg will set you back until the next week being that UPS and FedEX will not deliver on the weekends. It can be very frustrating having to wait for parts to get to you. Overnight shipping is now astronomically expensive, and there's no guarantee that it will ship the following day after ordering anyway. Sometimes, I'd gladly pay a little extra to get my part immediately, but this depends on the situation of course.
Understood, but the reality is that the enthusiast market is very small, and all these places, all of them, have to operate in a difficult economic climate with low margins. Rapid inventory turnover is key, since stale inventory can easily lose value when something newer comes along.

Just my 2 cents here.
Reply With Quote


  #9  
Old 10-10-2009, 10:25 PM
PCCstudent PCCstudent is offline
Registered User
PCCstudent's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 160
POST ID # = 420403
PCCstudent Reputation: 10
Default

I am still supporting my local one store retailer simply because I like the personalized service and the ability to call them up or get same day exchanges. But I do go to known sources for water cooling products,local store just doesn't see the traffic to stock WC gear
Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.