The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Cases

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 4.82 average. Display Modes
Old 09-29-2009, 07:56 AM
Stormar's PC Specs

POST ID # = 418515
Stormar Reputation: 10

well i,m in the uk and at present this caase is out of stock everywhere and looking 2-weeks before we get some,i have read the reviews and comments made and i do have doubts if i should purchase this case,as the rest of you i have liked to have seen a corsair rep come in this forum and give a solution to the cooling problems or to say we are doing a revision on it to improve the problem,having worked out that at the moment my only choice is to replace all the fans this is going to make the cost of this case around £280 alot of money to spend correcting mistakes that have been made,i rather corsair solved the problem and i wouldnt mind paying more,they have built a very nice case, looks good and has the best cable management of any case on the market,just hope they can correct this and i,m sure they will sell twice as many...

Old 09-29-2009, 09:20 PM
slamscaper's PC Specs

POST ID # = 418674
slamscaper Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormar View Post
well i,m in the uk and at present this caase is out of stock everywhere and looking 2-weeks before we get some,i have read the reviews and comments made and i do have doubts if i should purchase this case,as the rest of you i have liked to have seen a corsair rep come in this forum and give a solution to the cooling problems or to say we are doing a revision on it to improve the problem,having worked out that at the moment my only choice is to replace all the fans this is going to make the cost of this case around £280 alot of money to spend correcting mistakes that have been made,i rather corsair solved the problem and i wouldnt mind paying more,they have built a very nice case, looks good and has the best cable management of any case on the market,just hope they can correct this and i,m sure they will sell twice as many...
Hi Stormar, there's no doubt that this is a very nice case with a heck of a lot of potential, but you should be informed of some rather serious problems I have already experienced with mine.

If you somehow missed what I stated in my first post, then you should know that the powder coating used on this case seems to chip very easily. I'm hoping that if I'm careful I can keep it to a minimum, but I'm not too optimistic after seeing it flake right off as I took off my side panel.

As far as the cooling is concerned, I had to spend an extra $135 USD to acquire the H50 CPU cooler and a few high-speed fans that I needed to provide decent airflow. If you decide not to purchase the H50, it will be substantially cheaper for you as you'll just need better fans. However, the H50 seems to be a great solution to the cooling issues that plague this case as it will allow you to replace the 140mm exhaust fan in the back with a 120mm intake to achieve better airflow AND a cooler CPU. There is a huge surplus of high-speed 120mm fans available that you could use with the H50 if you like, or you could just use the one it comes with.

Last edited by slamscaper; 09-29-2009 at 09:23 PM.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:44 AM
Stormar's PC Specs

POST ID # = 418723
Stormar Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamscaper View Post
Hi Stormar, there's no doubt that this is a very nice case with a heck of a lot of potential, but you should be informed of some rather serious problems I have already experienced with mine.

If you somehow missed what I stated in my first post, then you should know that the powder coating used on this case seems to chip very easily. I'm hoping that if I'm careful I can keep it to a minimum, but I'm not too optimistic after seeing it flake right off as I took off my side panel.

As far as the cooling is concerned, I had to spend an extra $135 USD to acquire the H50 CPU cooler and a few high-speed fans that I needed to provide decent airflow. If you decide not to purchase the H50, it will be substantially cheaper for you as you'll just need better fans. However, the H50 seems to be a great solution to the cooling issues that plague this case as it will allow you to replace the 140mm exhaust fan in the back with a 120mm intake to achieve better airflow AND a cooler CPU. There is a huge surplus of high-speed 120mm fans available that you could use with the H50 if you like, or you could just use the one it comes with.
Hi slamscaper,thanks for your input,yes i did read you op post and also other posts around other forums and also the youtube reviews etc,the piant chiping is a little concern to me,but i can easy sort that out with some touch up i,m hoping,the cooling is my main worry.I am putting the h50 in this case on my new build and will replace all the fans,even the one that comes with the h50,i have found the fans i require after a bit of time searching the net as 140mm not easy to find,i have only been holding of for the reasons that the h50 has no bracket as yet for the 1156 and also the case is out of stock in the uk with all the retailers,have enquired about delivery times etc and its going to be 2-3 weeks before they seem to be getting more in,on top of the long delay on this bracket,i hope then i can start my new build if it turns out i,m still waiting then i have to go with another case and re-think my cooling options..

Old 10-02-2009, 11:42 PM
slamscaper's PC Specs

POST ID # = 419209

Well, just thought I post an update after finally receiving all my cooling gear and installing everything into my 800D. I'm happy to report that using the H50 CPU cooler and some high-quality fans works very well in this case. My temps are lower than they were in my last case and it's still much quieter overall.

I replaced the 140mm fan at the bottom with a 1700rpm fan capable of 91.2CFM and I also added two 120mm fans (2000rpm, 90CFM) at the top for exhaust. The airflow these provide is amazing and I can feel the cool air being sucked in from the bottom of the case. I have my case elevated on a table and this helps tremendously to keep the cool air coming in.

Despite my initial doubts, I am very satisfied with this case. It looks amazing, my temps are now under control and the wiring looks very clean and neat. I didn't have any more issues with paint chipping while I was installing everything into the case, so I think as long as I don't move it around all that much I'll be fine.

I'm kind of disappointed that nobody from Corsair offered any advice to me about how to maximize airflow, but in the end it all worked out anyway. This is the best case I've ever had the pleasure to work with, and I'm sure Corsair will have plenty more in the future.

By the way, this case looks really good with a little red lighting. Install a few red CCFL lamps or use a few red LED fans to add a bit of flair to it and you won't be let down. Looks amazing. If anyone wants to see a few pics just let me know.

Old 10-03-2009, 05:20 PM
x509's PC Specs

POST ID # = 419270
x509 Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamscaper View Post

My temps are lower than they were in my last case and it's still much quieter overall.

I replaced the 140mm fan at the bottom with a 1700rpm fan capable of 91.2CFM and I also added two 120mm fans (2000rpm, 90CFM) at the top for exhaust. The airflow these provide is amazing and I can feel the cool air being sucked in from the bottom of the case. I have my case elevated on a table and this helps tremendously to keep the cool air coming in.
Even with those high CFM fans, your case is still quieter overall? What is your point of comparison?

Old 10-03-2009, 06:13 PM
slamscaper's PC Specs

POST ID # = 419278

Quote:
Originally Posted by x509 View Post
Even with those high CFM fans, your case is still quieter overall? What is your point of comparison?
Yep. Compared to my old setup (TT Armor+ full-tower case) my system is quieter now overall.

I wouldn't call it inaudible, but considering the amount of airflow these fans provide it's very tolerable.

To be fair, the TT Armor+ has a giant 230mm side fan that's really loud. Also, I traded my ZAL 9700 LED CPU cooler (very loud as well) for the H50 which made a big difference.