Corsair Community

iCUE key simulation is wrong/broken

wraukon

Greetings;

Being a sensible UNIX user (shut up.) I have done the following mapping thru the registry in Windows:

CapsLock becomes LeftCtrl

LeftCtrl becomes ContextMenu

ContextMenu becomes CapsLock

[The reason I did this is because I do not like the placement of CapsLock, and I wanted to remap LeftCtrl to simulate holding down all of [Ctrl,Shift,Alt] at the same time, i.e. a 'Hyper' key. I think, now, I have figured out why it doesn't work. Read on.]

iCUE is routing around this in an inconsistent manner, which is causing some problems in macro/key-remapping.

iCUE reads the keypress properly while recording the macro and lists it as

Press key Ctrl

...other keystrokes here

Release key Ctrl

HOWEVER, when I go to execute the macro, iCUE is passing Ctrl as though it were the non-system-remapped version, and so is triggering ContextMenu instead.

I suspect that if I do a simple LeftCtrl/Caps swap, the macro will trigger CapsLock instead.

A solution for this on my end is to use RightCtrl instead of LeftCtrl, but I feel like I shouldn't *have* to do this.

I think this is a bug. This is something you might want to have a look at, as it seems to violate the Principle Of Least Astonishment.

it's hard to explain. It's like there's a double-remapping going on: When I record the macro and press down on where the Caps Lock key is, it receives it as Ctrl, but then when the macro runs, it directly generates the Ctrl keycode, which I have mapped elsewhere, rather than generating the keycode of the key being pressed...

and I just realised how stupid I am sounding right now because well, hell, how ELSE are they supposed to do it? iCUE doesn't know I have it remapped in the registry, it's registering what the base keyboard driver tells it has been pressed, so it's generating that keycode and following the logical progression. There's no really *right way* to handle this. I'm altering some keys in the registry because I want them remapped regardless of the keyboard driver.

Never mind, guys -- carry on. I'm using the right-side ctrl/alt/win keys unmodified to generate the keystrokes I need, and it works.

Archived