Corsair Community

Planning to get a Force 120GB SSD Installing and set-up stickys making my head spin.

I Plan on getting the force 120 GB SSD for my desktop, but I'm a bit confused about what order I should do what for a new clean install of Windows 7 64 bit.

I was wondering what FAQ would give me the best way to set up the drive for my OS, then in what order to change setting for best performance. I know there are stickys here, but they seem to be broken up into pieces, is there a list from beginning to end on how to best set up this SSD?

Well, ain't no FAQ but here's what I did.

First, put in the drive and install Windows 7 to where you can activate it. Let the installer do the partitioning for you.

Next, I move the documents/videos/music/etc to my rotating HDD. It's easy enough. Just right click on the folder, Properties. Hit the Location tab and just change the drive letter.

Finally, change the environment variables for your TEMP. Right click on computer, select Properties. Select Advanced System Settings, then Environment Variables...

Scroll down on the bottom pane until you see TMP and TEMP - change those to your spinning HDD.

Voila, you're done. I don't worry about the pagefile and it doesn't bog my PC down at all.

Archived