Corsair Community

Installing additional SSD and replacing HDD

drelihan

I am a complete novice with these systems so please bear with me. I have a i180 Pro with a X299E Mini-ITX motherboard. I am wondering how difficult it is to install an additional SSD and swapping out the HDD with another SSD. I am editing 10-40 minute short documentaries and need additional SSDs/storage to modify my workflow. I came across a post from 1-20-2020 basically explaining I would need to remove the GPU (not so simple) to add an additional SSD coupled with a challenge of removing screws to replace the HDD with a 2.5 SDD. I assume that is accurate information. I am wondering if any documentation has been published or if there any images of the i180 identifying slot locations. Thank you in advance for helping out a rookie.

Usually, adding storage doesn't void any warranty but check with your vendor's warranty guidelines to make sure. There should be no need to remove your GPU tho, unless you can't get your hands onto the SATA ports on your mobo. Chances are, that they are covered by the GPU but there is no actual system related reason that you need to do that.

The screws that apparently need to be removed i'm assuming are to hold the HDD in place in it's cage. You would need a 2.5" mounting space tho, either your case has places for that or you need a 3.5" to 2.5" drive mount to secure it properly.

Yeah,I thought about that after I sent that message .

I would get with Corsair before I actually do anything.

Just storage additions.Hopefully nothing major.

It's like the new car warranty I have on my Honda.

I would consult the maintenance guys before I goof with it.

They might have the easy way to do things.