Corsair Community

Best Way to connect 8 HD Fans and control them

Darknms

I am trying to replace the Corsair sp120 fans that came with the 460x case with HD 120 ones. The only issue is I want 6 to be on the case and the other 2 be on my radiator and I want to be able to control the leds on all of them. I also want to have the Corsair Lighting Node Pro installed. My question is how do I control everything as there are not enough rgb led ports on the controller included in the 3 pack of HD120 fans. Also all the fans don't need to be controlled with pwm just the 2 radiator ones.

I am trying to imagine 8 HD in the 460x. So is it 240mm radiator push-pull (4xHD120) + HD120 free below. Then 3xHD140 top and rear?

Short answer is you will need two 6 port lighting hubs. That should be easy enough to get in the HD120 3 pack and a HD140 2 pack. That then leaves a pair of singles. You could use the Lighting Node Pro as the Link interface, but if the above configuration is your goal, you might be better off with a Commander Pro as the Link interface. Marginally more expensive plug some useful goodies. Specifically, it will solve the push-pull control issue on a front radiator. You can power and control 2x120 from a H100i v2 or similar, but 4 is too much. The 6 port fan controller on the C-Pro would let you sync the radiator fans to the same coolant temp control variable, plus numerous other sources for the rest of the case fans. All software control from the desktop (6 on C-Pro, 2 on cooler).

Perhaps Zotty or someone can link you their FAQ with all the pretty pictures.

Ok that image helped me out a ton thanks for that. Now on to the other issue. I have the EVGA z170 ftw motherboard. It has one USB 3.0 header which I am using for the Front USB 3.0 ports. I have an add in PCIE card that has a 3.0 header that I am converting to 2.0 for my H100i. How many USB headers do I need for the above setup? And how can I get more? I have seen the NZXT USB header hub but dont know if that will work for what I need. Or if the commander pro would do that for me. Im lost.

I am trying to imagine 8 HD in the 460x. So is it 240mm radiator push-pull (4xHD120) + HD120 free below. Then 3xHD140 top and rear?

3 fans in the front intake. 2 on the radiator. 2 on the top exhaust. 1 in the rear exhaust. All 120mm

3 fans in the front intake. 2 on the radiator. 2 on the top exhaust. 1 in the rear exhaust. All 120mm

Radiator front or top? It doesn't matter for the fan wiring stuff, but I am still trying to verify you are going to run two pairs of fans on the radiator (push-pull). That tends to be a nagging control issue, depending on tools available.

Commander Pro has two USB 2.0 ports (requires one board port). It would allow you move the H100i over to it and free up the other.

Radiator front or top? It doesn't matter for the fan wiring stuff, but I am still trying to verify you are going to run two pairs of fans on the radiator (push-pull). That tends to be a nagging control issue, depending on tools available.

Commander Pro has two USB 2.0 ports (requires one board port). It would allow you move the H100i over to it and free up the other.

Radiator is in front. Currently I have different fans in the case so I have 8 case fans now just the 2 radiator ones are not led. Right now I am running 6 sp120 RGB fans and 2 of the fans that came with the h100i. Also the commander pro has to plug into a usb 2.0 on the motherboard right? So then I would have one USB 2.0 left on the commander pro after connecting the h100 i and then I need one for the node pro. I dont know if anything else needs it.

Archived