Corsair Community

Asus A8V Deluxe Check Bad Sum Error On Post

Enisada

Alright so I get my 1GB PC3200XLPro yesterday and put it into my mobo. Everything was working great until I noticed that the settigns were showing up as 2-3-2-5. I know it is suppose to be 2-2-2-5 so I went into the bios to change it, which I thought was odd cause it is suppose to be Plug&Frag and after I rebooted I got the error Check Sum Error. Note I have the latest Bios for my board. I tired to reflash it but still no luck.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just received the Asus A8V and the Corsaid TWINX1024-3200XL twin pack. I upgraded my mobo BIOS to the latest 1006 version and installed the RAM. I also have the same problem: the RAM comes up as 2-3-2-5 and the 2T command is enabled by default. First thing I did was change to 1T and started running some tests at 2-3-2-5 at stock voltage and clocks. When running MEMTEST, I got several errors (always in test#5). I was able to repeat these errors after rebooting several times. :mad: I then started changing some of the RAM parameters and then my mobo wouldn't even POST any more! The CPU Parameter Recall feature of the A8V didn't work. I had to clear the CMOS, and then it worked. So I started over... i set it back to 1T and left the rest at 2-3-2-5, but I decided to manually set the RAM voltage to 2.7V (note that the A8V BIOS does not support 2.75v yet). THIS FIXED IT! I ran MEMTEST for a long time and didn't get any errors. :biggrin: So it would seem that this mobo's BIOS still has some issues. Maybe it's setting the default voltage too low, i'm not sure. There's a Beta BIOS (version 1006.004) on the ASUS web site, has anyone tried it? ix. case: Antec P160-WF mobo: Asus A8V Deluxe WiFi cpu: AMD A64 3800+ (no OC yet) ram: Corsair TWINX1024-3200XL 2-2-2-5 1T gpu: BFG nVidia 6800GT OC (OCed to 370Mhz) hsf: Aerocool HT-101 (single fan, blow) psu: Aerocool Aeropower II+ SE disk: 2 x Hitachi 250G SATA on VIA RAID1 dvd: Plextor PX-708A

[quote name='lkhyperx']by fix, does it mean that you had a steady 2-2-2-5-1 latency on your modules?[/QUOTE] Yes. I ran at 2-2-2-5-1T. Let me summarize. These are my setting: Mobo: Asus A8V RAM: Corsair TWINX1024-3200XL BIOS: 1006 (although it’s reported as 1005.027 in CPU-Z and Sandra) BIOS date: 06/17/2004 DDR Voltage: 2.7v (manually set, do not use “AUTO” feature, see below) CAS: 2.0 (manually set) TRCD: 2 (manually set) TRP: 2 (manually set) TRAS: 5 (manually set) 2T Command: Disabled (manually set) FSB: 200MHz (manually set) CPU voltage: 1.5v (manually set) Cool’N’Quiet: disabled All other parameters remain at their default or AUTO settings. I was able to run MEMTEST for 9 hours without a single error. I also ran Prime95 and Sandra Burn simultaneously overnight, and again, no errors reported. I get 6079 / 6035 in the Sandra memory bandwidth benchmarks (WOW! Over 6000 is amazing!). I have the Aerocool HT-101 cooler with single fan (quiet) and my temps are 34C idle / 47C load in a room with no AC (about 25C). Note: I had two major issues while setting this up… First, with the DDR Voltage set to AUTO, I had lots of memory errors. Setting it manually to 2.7v did wonders. These modules are rated at 2.75v, but the current BIOS only supports 2.7v or 2.8v. As RAMGUY says, you may have to bump it up to 2.8v in your setup to get things stable. Second, I had the CPU voltage set to AUTO. But it consistently was reported as 1.6v in CPU-Z. Then at one point, I enabled Cool’N’Quiet in the BIOS but had not installed the drivers for it yet. I got side tracked and forgot about the drivers. Then about 30 minutes later, ASUSProbe was giving me alarms, my CPU temp was at 71C. Wow! I checked the VCORE, and it was at 1.8v. Ouch! I promptly rebooted and set the CPU voltage manually to 1.5v and everything has been fine since. So I’m not sure what happened here, either the mobo’s AUTO setting for VCORE is not working, or the Cool’N’Quiet needs the drivers installed to work properly (yes, I admit, drivers should have been installed, but regardless, this feature shouldn’t bump up the voltage to 1.8v if the drivers are missing). So my point is, beware, and keep a close eye on your PC until you know things are stable. Good luck! ix.

[quote name='lkhyperx']ixion, where is the 2T --> 1T option on the 1.006 BIOS? I can't seem to find it :confused:[/QUOTE] It's the last item at the bottom of the Memory settings page. It's named something like "2T Command" (don't have it in front of me now). You need to set this to DISABLED for top performance.

With my 2-2-2-5-1T BIOS settings, Sandra reports the following for the 3200XL: Bank 0 : 512MB DDR-SDRAM 2.0-2-2-2CL 2CMD Bank 1 : 512MB DDR-SDRAM 2.0-2-2-2CL 2CMD Does the "2CMD" refer to the 2T Command? If so, is Sandra wrong here cause i definitely have 2T disabled in the BIOS. Does CPU-Z report this parameter? I can't find it anywhere. ix.

So I posted this before I found this topic...I haven't been home yet to try some of the suggested RAM fixes, but what are people's thoughts? Think this might be my problem or does mine sound more typical of a CPU problem? My post can be found here...but feel free to reply on this thread. [url]http://www.houseofhelp.com/v2/showthread.php?t=28006&highlight=A8V[/url]

[quote name='Tempo36']So I posted this before I found this topic...I haven't been home yet to try some of the suggested RAM fixes, but what are people's thoughts? Think this might be my problem or does mine sound more typical of a CPU problem? My post can be found here...but feel free to reply on this thread. [url]http://www.houseofhelp.com/v2/showthread.php?t=28006&highlight=A8V[/url][/QUOTE] Hi Tempo36, I read your report. I wouldn't give up yet. Everything you've said happened to me too. 1) I had the same issue, i played with some RAM settings and the mobo wouldn't post at all (just fans, nothing else), I simply cleared the CMOS with the jumper and it came back up no problem. 2) I also had to unplug the SATA at one point. 3) My sticks also come up 2-3-2-5 by default. I suggest you clear the CMOS and reload the defaults to start fresh. Then set all the parameters maunally (see my previous post), including the FSB and CPU voltage. If you still have problems, then you should try the ASUS beta BIOS from their site. And if it still fails, then RMA baby. ix.

Ok, so I applied all settings as recommended (except I set the RAM to 2.8V...and I'm afraid to drop it to 2.7) and the CPU voltage to 1.5V and slowly stepped up the multiplier until...voila! All functional! 2.208ghz cpu, 2-2-2-5 memory timings...seemingly all is rosey. My only concern is the cpu voltage...is 1.5V a safe voltage to have the voltage fixed at manually for the 3500+ cpu? I know it's pretty much the norm voltage and I think that AMD's site lists 1.5V as the max voltage for the chip, but it still makes me nervous. I'll take Ram Guy's word though that the memory can handle the 2.8V...I'm scared that if I drop it to 2.7 it'll hang, I'll have to clear the CMOS, remove the SATA and start all over with one RAM chip and build back to here...I'll post again if things remain stable (or if they don't). Feel free to send me a private message with any info about the above stuff...or just to reassure me that this isn't going to explode or not boot in the morning (well...no promises right?) RAM Guy...is 2.8V safe to set these things to permanently or should I take the risk of tanking the system to set them at 2.7V (no 2.75V option on this bios yet)

[quote name='Tempo36']Ok, so I applied all settings as recommended (except I set the RAM to 2.8V...and I'm afraid to drop it to 2.7) and the CPU voltage to 1.5V and slowly stepped up the multiplier until...voila! All functional! 2.208ghz cpu, 2-2-2-5 memory timings...seemingly all is rosey. My only concern is the cpu voltage...is 1.5V a safe voltage to have the voltage fixed at manually for the 3500+ cpu? I know it's pretty much the norm voltage and I think that AMD's site lists 1.5V as the max voltage for the chip, but it still makes me nervous. I'll take Ram Guy's word though that the memory can handle the 2.8V...I'm scared that if I drop it to 2.7 it'll hang, I'll have to clear the CMOS, remove the SATA and start all over with one RAM chip and build back to here...I'll post again if things remain stable (or if they don't). Feel free to send me a private message with any info about the above stuff...or just to reassure me that this isn't going to explode or not boot in the morning (well...no promises right?)[/QUOTE] [b]Tempo36[/b].....you'll be AOK with the volts left as you've described....back in the Intel day, we'd send CRAZY volts(volt mods galore) to the CPU's.....some lived, and some....... :eek: Anyone here old enough to remember [url=http://www.muropaketti.com/artikkelit/emolevyt/asus_p4t533-c/mod/index.phtml]TURBO PLL mods [/url] :eek: :D: [b]ixion[/b]....I'd like to say THANK YOU for continuing to follow this thread and "advice".........hard to find nice peeps these days. ;):

why not set DDR voltage to 2.7v? Wouldn't that be safer? and say you went with 1.5v for the cpu - that shouldn't effect your RAM performance would it? I don't understand why ixion changed the cpu voltage settings to begin with.

The reason I thought to raise the CPU voltage was because the system was running stably if I underclocked the CPU by 50%. I figured if it was having problems running at the stock frequency, a small boost to voltage might help. It's also been increasingly apparent that the A8V may have problems automatically controlling voltages across the board...memory and cpu. It seems that fixing the voltage may be the way to go (although I admit I don't like fixing the voltage...it may be necessary for some users it seems) I'm still hoping for more input if the 1.5V on the CPU and 2.8V on the memory are reasonably safe. Currently under load the CPU is about 55C and 46C at idle. 7/16/04: Decreased voltage of memory to 2.7V. Ran memtest86 for 500% and had a mini-hang when I opened several other programs while memtest was trying to use all available memory. End result was the start bar got a bit weird until reboot. Ran Prime95 for 8 hours with no errors or warnings. Ran 3DMark30 and pulled down a score in the 15000's. Sisoft reports memory bandwidth of approximately 5930. On the list is to run memtest86 overnight sometime when I don't need to use the computer at the same time, but I'm not expecting problems after successful Prime run.

Tempo36, That's great news. Don't worry about 1.5v for the CPU, that's the NORMAL operating voltage for this CPU. You can easily go up from there too, if you ever wanted to overclock. Also, I wouldn't worry about trying 2.7v for the RAM. I seriously doubt it'll lock up. Make sure to run MEMTEST and Prime95 overnight to ensure that your setup is error free. On the surface, things can look good, but make sure that the RAM is not giving random errors. ix.

Before I rma'd my system, i installed the 1006.004 beta bios for the a8v, dont use it! i had more errors after i installed it. when i get my system back, i will only go as far as the 1006 released bios. but hard to tell, could have just been my board because something was defective in my system.

first, ixion has been invaluable in this thread, nice job. when i get my parts back, i am going with the XL ram, but unsure of the differences with the letters after the XL, (i.e. PRO, PT). can someone explain, and give me their preferred module?? thx.

[quote name='cimerol']first, ixion has been invaluable in this thread, nice job. when i get my parts back, i am going with the XL ram, but unsure of the differences with the letters after the XL, (i.e. PRO, PT). can someone explain, and give me their preferred module?? thx.[/QUOTE] All of the Corsair 3200XL use identical chips and are identical in performance. The only difference is the heat spreader color and whether they have activity LEDs. 3200XL – black heat spreader 3200XL PT – platinum colored heat spreader 3200XL PRO – black with activity LED’s that show how “busy” the RAM is They all work the same. My advice, go with the cheapest. Prices fluctuate greatly. For example, when i purchased mine from Newegg, the Platinum was $40 cheaper than the other two, and two days later, it shot back up to the same price as the others.

Archived