Corsair Community

Problems with CMG4GX3M2A2000C8 with ASUS Crosshair IV Formula

fireblaster_lyz

Hi all,

I am having problems running my new Corsair Dominator GT RAMs (CMG4GX3M2A2000C8) 2x4=8GB on my ASUS Crosshair IV Formula.

I am currently running an AMD Phenom II X3 720BE.

Whenever I overclock the modules to 1600MHz on 9-9-9-24, the system (most of the times...) successfully boots into Windows and gives me random restarts (BSODs) on general surfing (Clicking on Mafia Wars in Facebook?!)/gaming (Sims 3) and I do not have a definite Memtest result. (Previous benching had Test #5 FAIL)

I have tried overclocking the system up to 3.9GHz and successfully unlocked all 4 cores on the processor on 1.55V (Vcore). I also tried 3.6GHz on stock voltage with 3 cores but it does not solve the problem. I still have BSODs/random restarts. (I am sure its not the processor problem). Doing so will make the system unstable on the CMG4GX3M2A2000C8 but not my old TW3X4G1600C9D RAMs.

I am currently back to the 2.8GHz and 1333MHz configuration. This configuration passes Prime95 up to Test #5. (I only tested till this far)

RAMs are currently on stock voltage - 1.65V. (I tried 1.7V but to no avail)

So, how do I make the system stable on 1600MHz configuration? (I am wondering is it possible to run at CAS 7?)

EDIT: Conclusion is not to mix 2x4GB kits on the ASUS Crosshair IV Formula. DAMN. So much for an expensive board. Lol.

not with 2 kits or especially 4 sticks usually.

you are stuck at 1333 unless you remove one of the 4 gig kits. there are NO 8 gig kits for your board according to the memory finder. http://www.corsair.com/configurator/product_results.aspx?id=1575023

mixing kits will result in disappointment.

if my link is not working, look at the memory finder link on the left and put in your board. you will see that there is no pretested compatible 8 gig kit listed.

if you get 8 gig to run at 1333 maybe you may have a little room to overclock somewhere in the 1400 range but its still asking for trouble ill bet.

the only 8 gig kits are only rated at 1333 for your CPU anyway such as:

CMD8GX3M4A1333C7 or CMX8GX3M4B1333C9. thats it for the Phenom II CPU. but again, these are not listed for your specific board as "tested compatible"

sorry for the disappointing news..

other than a benchmark i really dont think you would notice a difference between 1333 and 1600. especially if you need 8 gig and its stable at 1333.

/.02

Holy god. :/

*Backing out to 4GB configuration.

I pass the RAMs for my next i7 build in future.

make sure the i7 build is a Core i7 8xx series processor only or the ram may not be compatible!!

other than a benchmark i really dont think you would notice a difference between 1333 and 1600. especially if you need 8 gig and its stable at 1333.

/.02

Hmmm. How about running in 4GB configuration? How low can I push my 2000C8 latencies till? 7-7-7-20 on 1600MHz? 6-6-6-18 on 1333MHz?

EDIT: I never thought of this! Google brought me some amazing results.

Here are the links:

"Asus Crosshair IV Formula

Corsair Dominator GT @ 6-6-6-18 1T 1600MHz"

make sure the i7 build is a Core i7 8xx series processor only or the ram may not be compatible!!

Lol. I am intending a i7 930 build. I see that the MSI motherboards are compatible with the RAM modules. Your call?

with 1 kit, sure you should hit the listed specs, (if your ram was listed for AMD) just not with 2 kits.

as far as the extra ram and an i7 i based it on this chart as that ram is not listed for the 9xx CPUs only the 8xx ones.

http://www.corsair.com/products/corei7/default.aspx

also unless im missing something, i cannot find your ram on any AMD compatibility chart. that could be another reason you are having difficulty.

the forum link you provided, the guy has a AMD 1090T CPU on a cascade cooler. i dont think the Corsair charts have been updated for that series CPU yet since he is running a 6 gig tri channel kit on that board. maybe he just got lucky but again it was a single kit.

good luck!

Archived