Corsair Community

9900X CPU temp vs H100i Coolant Temp

thefosterhouse

Just finished my PC Build for a workstation and I'm a bit confused as to the temperatures I'm seeing. I have a 9900X with a H100i cooling it. I'm seeing the coolant temps in iCUE range fro 32C (baseline) to as high as 42C for heavy workloads, but it's mostly around 38C for most cpu heavy work. The issue is that I'm seeing CPU temps as high as 78C and it'l hang there for a while. I'm not overclocking my CPU except for enabling XMP. I was thinking about OC a little bit to help with render times, but not until I better understand what I'm seeing here.

My Cpu temps have been around 36C at idle, and around 60C during rendering, but there are times when the temps spike in the high 70s for a while during heavy rendering. After seeing that, I've switched my Pump from Balanced to Extreme while the Cooler Fans have been using the Balanced Fan curve. That has kept the highest temps down to 74C, but the setting just seem way too high for a non overclocked CPU.

Are these normal temps that I'm seeing or is there something wrong? I feel that I'm being overly cautious, but I can't help it.

I've ordered a Commander Pro to centralize all the fan controls, but it'll be a few days before I can get it.

I set iCUE to launch on startup, but I still have to manually launch it for some reason. does it need to be actively open for the profiles to run properly?

CPU: Intel 9900X not overclocked

VCORE (VCPU in iCUE) doesn't move from .94V even though the graph moves around a lot, Vcore in HWiNFO64 peaked at 1.176V

Coolant temp peaked @ 42C, hangs around 39C for heavy loads and 32C for baseline.

Ambient Temps are around 24C

CPU Cooler is top mounted as intake (Push)

GPU is Nvidia 2080 ti Waterforce front mounted in push/pull

testing temperatures in HWiNFO64 sensor status and iCue (since the H100i sensor readings don't show up in HWiNFO)

No, that is about the state of things these days. Coolant temperature is the minimum possible CPU temperature. Your coolant temp to max CPU temperature differential (using your numbers) peaked at (78-42)=36C. It doesn't really get any lower than that on any CPU anymore. That value is almost entirely voltage and CPU design orientated. Just a touch more voltage and you would likely be at +50C with everyone else. Also, you likely are not at the actual "Intel specified frequency". Most of these boards will automatically bump all of your cores to the single core turbo frequency by default. Doing so requires more voltage and the default BIOS settings apply it. Like nearly all auto overclocks, it is a bit heavy handed and most people are able to lean it out a bit more or be more targeted in their approach. Your boards isn't listed and the mechanics they use to do this vary a bit by brand.

+10C coolant rise is about right for a 9900 and a 240mm radiator. That one is pretty much watts vs surface area of the radiator. You might be able to knock 1-2C off this with more aggressive fan profiles, but since that only reduces the CPU temp by the same 1-2C, it may not be worth it terms of noise. If you are really looking for something to pick at, the difference between the room temperature (24) and the idle baseline coolant temperature (32) is possibly an easier place to make gains. Most people will idle about 4-7C above the room temp. There are a lot of factors in this from case design, dust filters, radiator location, etc. many of which are not things you can or are willing to change. Regardless, that is probably the one other area where progress is possible.

thanks for the reply! I guess I'll look at switching my CPU and GPU radiators. having the CPU in front should help a lot. My GPU has never gotten above 34C so I think it'll be fine in the top of my case. I'm seriously tempted to take my case's top panel to a friend of mine and have him C&C a ton of vent holes in it.