Corsair Community

AX1200 Power efficiency

LucBuj

Hi to you,

I have this PSU for 8 years, I recently installed a 2060 RTX SUPER to replace an old GT660. All was running well and suddently I had some heavy performances issues. I updated all drivers, BIOS. The problem got fixed by swapping the GPU to another PCIE and just for test I swapped it back to the PCIE it was in the first place and all is running fine now. But the PSU came in the troubleshooting line.

I was running an Asus GT 660, 5 hard drives, 1 optical, I7-3820, 4x 4Go of RAM all that in a Cooler Master HAFX, never overclocked.

I never had any issues in the past. I know this 2060 RTX GPU installed in this rig will never perform to its limits so the consumption should not be that high.

Just to eliminate the possibility that it is concerned I was wandering if the age of the PSU could be in cause. I know that from time to time, a PSU will lost some performances.... But this is not a crappy PSU, so I don't expect that kind of degradation.

So can you give your opinion about that? And is there are some reliables software to test the PSU? A big thanks in advance guys.

It was a heavy lag, it began with just a little freeze of 2-3 seconds randomly. As the days passing by the lag was more frequent, it was freezing all the time, giving me just few seconds of play time. I was playing Wolfenstein Old Blood at that time. But the GPU was running really fine for 4 weeks, I played and finish Far Cry 5, Wolenstein The New Order without any flaws... When I got heavy lag/freeze I was able to play Red Alert 2 (from the 90s...), surfing on the web, anytthing with very low demand on the GPU

So I finnally got on Troubleshooting, updated Nvidia Drivers, checked all temps (all was good), done some benchmark testing with "haven" (that was freezing too).

After some discussions on tom's hardware I swapped on the GPU to another PCIE, W7 detected the GPU all was really fine so I swapped back the GPU to the original PCIE slot, all was fine. After that:

updated BIOS and all drivers

Set RAM on XMP profile.

Done a new clean install of the GPU drivers with DDU.

All is fine now.

By now I suspected corrupted drivers, PSU, the GPU (by it's weight) could have mis-connection with the PCIE slot.

But in the discussion, the age of the PSU came on as a big possibilty/cause of the problem, so I was just wondering if in fact the PSU could be considered bad and how I can test it with anykind of software...