The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Keyboards and Mice

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2014, 10:32 PM
Attirex's PC Specs

POST ID # = 740034
Attirex Reputation: 10
Default KVM and weird Shift key prob...

Hey, guys:

Recently got my non-RGB K70 and love it. The problem is, it doesn't play nice with my ConnectPro KVM DDM switch. The hot keys do not work. :-( CP support indicated this a known issue, and has to do with how Corsair does its key mapping. Anyone else have experience with this?

Also, just discovered that the right Shift key does not display capital letter "E" or "F." Lower case "e" and "f" work fine, and capitalizing "E" and "F" with the left Shift key works fine. All other letters (upper and lower case, left Shift and right Shift) work fine, as far as I know.

What's even more weird is that right Shift DOES does display capital "E" and "F" if I press right Shift then hold down E and F simultaneously. If that makes any sense.

So definitely something weird going on with key mapping through the KVM.

Anyone else have experience with using K70 with a DDM KVM?

Thanks...

A.F.

Last edited by Attirex; 11-04-2014 at 10:35 PM. Reason: typos

Old 11-04-2014, 10:41 PM
iCUE Product Manager

POST ID # = 740037
Corsair James Reputation: 75

We don't test our keyboards with KVM switches because most of them don't work correctly with our N-Key Matrix and/or allow for proper USB enumeration.

You can disable all the advance features of the keyboard though and see if it works with the KVM switch by switching the top switch to "BIOS". This allows the K70 to work as a normal 104 keyboard for legacy devices and some KVM switches.

Old 11-05-2014, 12:21 AM
Attirex's PC Specs

POST ID # = 740052

Thanks, James. This confirms what I suspected. Unfortunately, the BIOS switch didn't work, either.

CP support says they're working on adding support for your KBs in "the next few months." I'm assuming this means with a firmware update. So until then, the K70 is mothballed and back to my reliable but filthy X-Armor.

Ain't technology great?

A.F.

Old 11-05-2014, 12:23 AM
iCUE Product Manager

POST ID # = 740054

Let us know when it happens - we always get requests every now and then for confirmed KVM switches that work with our keyboards.

Old 11-05-2014, 12:43 PM
Attirex's PC Specs

POST ID # = 740131

I'd be happy to.

Old 11-06-2014, 05:29 PM
Attirex's PC Specs

POST ID # = 740408

Just a quick update:

I finally got the K70 to work with the KVM switch--seems that I was doing it wrong. When switching to BIOS Mode, you have to unplug the keyboard USB connection from the switch then plug it back in so the switch can do a scan (duh). After figuring this out, keyboard recognized BIOS mode and now works, including Hotkey switching, and no funky problems with Shift key and E and F keys.

The one remaining annoyance is that now the BIOS indicator light flashes constantly. I fixed that by sticking a piece of duct tape over it.

Not sure what the point of this light is--seems like it's more of a Loser Indicator than anything else, constantly reminding you that the Gaming Gods think you're a loser for having to use a "lesser mode" with an expensive keyboard. :-)

Old 11-06-2014, 05:31 PM
iCUE Product Manager

POST ID # = 740409

It is definitely a reminder that the keyboard is in BIOS mode which means the advance features like the N-Key rollover is off.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:06 AM
Happy Typin' Guy

POST ID # = 753719
Ander111 Reputation: 10
Default Found: A KVM that works great with K70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attirex
Not sure what the point of this light is--seems like it's more of a Loser Indicator than anything else, constantly reminding you that the Gaming Gods think you're a loser for having to use a "lesser mode" with an expensive keyboard. :-)
LOL!

Well, I originally posted this to ask for help using my new Corsair K70 with a KVM switch (which turned out to be incompatible).

I've now found an inexpensive KVM that works perfectly with the K70. It's a StarTech 2 Port Black USB KVM Switch Kit with Audio and Cables, model SV211KUSB. (Don't ask me why KVMs always have such goofy long names.)

The StarTech doesn't even require the K70 to be on its BIOS setting, so no more "Loser Mode"!

This isn't an ad, BTW—I just thought it might be of value to others who wanted to share a Corsair keyboard between two PCs. Cheers, A.

Last edited by Ander111; 01-31-2015 at 05:14 AM. Reason: Solved the problem!

Old 12-17-2015, 12:29 PM

POST ID # = 826089
jhodge65 Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ander111 View Post
LOL!

Well, I originally posted this to ask for help using my new Corsair K70 with a KVM switch (which turned out to be incompatible).

I've now found an inexpensive KVM that works perfectly with the K70. It's a StarTech 2 Port Black USB KVM Switch Kit with Audio and Cables, model SV211KUSB. (Don't ask me why KVMs always have such goofy long names.)

The StarTech doesn't even require the K70 to be on its BIOS setting, so no more "Loser Mode"!

This isn't an ad, BTW—I just thought it might be of value to others who wanted to share a Corsair keyboard between two PCs. Cheers, A.
Thanks Ander, I just puchased a 4 port version for my Strafe RGB. Hopefully it will work for me as well.