The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Systems > CORSAIR ONE

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-28-2019, 04:30 AM
arkitec arkitec is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 5
POST ID # = 999261
arkitec Reputation: 10
Default Fully custom Corsair One 2019, need your advise

Dear good people,

I need a help and advise from good people here.

I have been back and forth between weather I should be getting Corsair One or build from scratch with Phanteks Shift.

I started even thinking (hoping) fabricate a case my own taking an advantages from both Corsair One and Phanteks Shift case. All this ideas come from upgradability.

My question really is can I swap the motherboard to ASRock X299 mini itx for a CPU of i9-7980XE or i9-9980XE into Corsair One? I understand warranty will be gone and sound like wasting money but I really love Corsair One (hope they sale just a case)

My plan was to get the lowest price of "The One" i140 and keep everything but

1. Swap motherboard to ASRock x299 Mini ITX Motherboard
2. Swap CPU to Intel i9-7980XE or i9-9980XE
3. Swap PSU to higher wattage accordingly something that can fit in the case
4. Swap top fan to higher RPM and CFM (like 2000-3000 RPM?)

Again, Sound like wasting money but any thought you have about my plan?!!!
I'm not looking into OC but temperature is going to be crazy at stock with that CPU????

Seems can't find anywhere on website doing/talking about this swap (is it because it's not even possible?)

I'm very new to custom PC world so I need experts opinions.
Thank you in advance and hope to hear from you soon.
Reply With Quote


  #2  
Old 03-28-2019, 02:14 PM
Corsair Mint's Avatar
Corsair Mint Corsair Mint is offline
Corsair Employee
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 856
POST ID # = 999325
Corsair Mint Reputation: 31
Default

Those chips have a similar TDP rating, but they have more cores and could be prone to higher heat. We haven't validated them in the chassis as the Corsair One systems were validated with their components very specifically due to the thermals we were getting in the system.
Reply With Quote


  #3  
Old 04-02-2019, 12:20 PM
arkitec arkitec is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 5
POST ID # = 999944
arkitec Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsair Mint View Post
Those chips have a similar TDP rating, but they have more cores and could be prone to higher heat. We haven't validated them in the chassis as the Corsair One systems were validated with their components very specifically due to the thermals we were getting in the system.
Hi Corsair Mint,

Thank you for such a quick reply. I totally understand your point. I think I'm gonna stick to the plan with what Remorage did.
Thank you again
Reply With Quote


  #4  
Old 03-29-2019, 04:36 PM
Remorage Remorage is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 14
POST ID # = 999469
Remorage Reputation: 10
Default

I was in a similar situation to you (deciding to buy the i160 and modify it, go with the Phanteks Shift, or make a case at my shop). I decided to go with the i160 as I much prefer the look of the case and I believe it is a much better built case as well. I currently only swapped the motherboard and ram as that was my main issue with the system. It was not very difficult; however, if you are going with a motherboard that has a different layout you will have to deal with some pretty tight wire management. I went with the Asus z390I as I was planning on getting the 9900k anyway. I haven’t swapped the PSU yet but from my research the sf750 is a plug and play with the 600s wires.

In terms of it being a waste of money, I was essentially able to create an i140 our of my spare parts so it wasn’t that bad.

As for the boat you are in, I believe that is the same motherboard that comes in the i180. It would make it much easier if you started there as not only will you not have to deal with swapping the board, you will also get the 750 watt PSU that should be enough for anything you can fit in the case. If you went with the i140 you may have to do some cable management and that is by far the hardest part of the install as the case is very tight. Otherwise if it’s the same board as the i180 it should fit no issues and if you are unable to swap the fan without advice then the best advice I can give you is not to take on the challenge lol.

TLDR; I would totally do the swap again and plan to do much more with the case. I also have pics of my install if you need some reference.

Edit: I forgot to mention, I agree with Corsair Mint as well. I kept the same processor but the cooling in the case may not be enough for the 9980xe as even my 9900k gets a little toastier then I’m used to and I don’t know if there is any difference in the i180 in terms of cooling.

Last edited by Remorage; 03-30-2019 at 04:47 PM.
Reply With Quote


  #5  
Old 04-02-2019, 12:31 PM
arkitec arkitec is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 5
POST ID # = 999946
arkitec Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remorage View Post
I was in a similar situation to you (deciding to buy the i160 and modify it, go with the Phanteks Shift, or make a case at my shop). I decided to go with the i160 as I much prefer the look of the case and I believe it is a much better built case as well. I currently only swapped the motherboard and ram as that was my main issue with the system. It was not very difficult; however, if you are going with a motherboard that has a different layout you will have to deal with some pretty tight wire management. I went with the Asus z390I as I was planning on getting the 9900k anyway. I haven’t swapped the PSU yet but from my research the sf750 is a plug and play with the 600s wires.

In terms of it being a waste of money, I was essentially able to create an i140 our of my spare parts so it wasn’t that bad.

As for the boat you are in, I believe that is the same motherboard that comes in the i180. It would make it much easier if you started there as not only will you not have to deal with swapping the board, you will also get the 750 watt PSU that should be enough for anything you can fit in the case. If you went with the i140 you may have to do some cable management and that is by far the hardest part of the install as the case is very tight. Otherwise if it’s the same board as the i180 it should fit no issues and if you are unable to swap the fan without advice then the best advice I can give you is not to take on the challenge lol.

TLDR; I would totally do the swap again and plan to do much more with the case. I also have pics of my install if you need some reference.

Edit: I forgot to mention, I agree with Corsair Mint as well. I kept the same processor but the cooling in the case may not be enough for the 9980xe as even my 9900k gets a little toastier then I’m used to and I don’t know if there is any difference in the i180 in terms of cooling.
Hi Remorage,

Thank you so much for a super detailed info you share with me.
What am I thinking, i180 come with x299 and for some reasons I missed that spec..... haha
I'm glad found people out there went through the thought I had. and I decided, I'm gonna do what you did. I'll get i160 and update MOBO, RAM, PSU.
Since Corsair Mint mention about the heat caused as well as you did, I don't see the point getting i180 with i9-9920?! I'm not sure how well this CPU perform with my needs. Then I'd rather get i160 and save some money for future build.

May I get your suggestion for the MOBO please. I want ASUS but which one I should get? I'm an Architectural Designer and I use program below

・AutoCAD
・Revit
・3dsMax
・Sketchup
・V-Ray for rendering
・Adobe Photoshop
・Adobe Illustrator
・Adobe InDesign
・Adobe Premiere

and of course RAM to be 32gb and PSU, I'll swap over to 750.
One last thing, could you share your photo please?
I'd love to see your build.
Thank you again!!! Cheers
Reply With Quote


  #6  
Old 04-06-2019, 03:29 PM
Remorage Remorage is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 14
POST ID # = 1000547
Remorage Reputation: 10
Default

No problem, the reason I mention the heat is because I believe the factory Bios has a thermal throttle that kicks on around 60-70 to keep it cool. After swapping the board I immediately saw the major issues I had with the system fixed (Two M.2 slots, boot time decreased by ~3 seconds, and it would hold the factory turbo speeds at 4.7 during stress testing). However I shut my stress test down before the cpu reached 80 as it didn’t seem to be leveling out and that was already hotter then I liked. Also, because of that I have not tried overclocking either. I did some gaming over the weekend though (~8hours of the BL remaster at 2k max settings) to test it out some real world performance and under normal load and fan set to extreme both GPU and CPU stabilized around 35. (Ambient was around 25)

If you are set on Asus and want to keep the 9900k then the board I got is really the only one I would go with.
https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards...Z390-I-GAMING/
But be aware, while I believe Asus has some of the best bios and hardware, their customer service is the worst. My first motherboard was a R4BE and it came with a few bent pins. When I contacted Asus they told me, and I quote “we don’t ship bad products, there is nothing we can do for you”. Luckily I was able to unbend them, but I always try to warn anyone else buying Asus.

I still plan to remake the front IO to include the USB-C header on the ASUS and the virtual link port of the 2080ti once I get more information on pass-through cables that are compatible. Then to wrap it all together I want to get this bad boy painted to match my BL themed desk

I will post some pics of the motherboard swap after I get off work.

Last edited by Remorage; 04-06-2019 at 10:47 PM.
Reply With Quote


  #7  
Old 04-06-2019, 10:53 PM
Remorage Remorage is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 14
POST ID # = 1000582
Remorage Reputation: 10
Default

Well pics are apparently a pain in the butt to upload so I will see if I can get them up later. Here is a list of the steps I took though if you would like a reference. The process wasn't that hard, but I would be wary if this is your first PC build.

First I removed and moved aside the CPU cooler.
Then I proceeded to unplug all the cables and ram sticks (you will need to cut zip ties).
Next you will want to remove the hard drive cage so you can move the wires out of the way and help with removing the gpu extension.
After that un-clip the front and rear panels slightly so they don't interfere (there are three plastic clips on each that were easy to remove with a flathead).
Finally, the motherboard can be removed!
Installation is just the reverse order.

The two key steps I figured out the hard way was remove the hard drive before attempting to remove the gpu extension and you need to un-clip the panels as the clips extend too far into the motherboard space.
Reply With Quote


  #8  
Old 04-06-2019, 11:20 PM
Remorage Remorage is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 14
POST ID # = 1000586
Remorage Reputation: 10
Default

PS if someone at Corsair could provide me with the Corsair one post image I would love to swap the ASUS one, as I am a huge fan of Corsair while, because of my customer support incident, I very much dislike ASUS and don't want to have to look at the ASUS post image every time I boot.
Reply With Quote


  #9  
Old 04-08-2019, 06:44 PM
Corsair Mint's Avatar
Corsair Mint Corsair Mint is offline
Corsair Employee
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 856
POST ID # = 1000813
Corsair Mint Reputation: 31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remorage View Post
PS if someone at Corsair could provide me with the Corsair one post image I would love to swap the ASUS one, as I am a huge fan of Corsair while, because of my customer support incident, I very much dislike ASUS and don't want to have to look at the ASUS post image every time I boot.
Sorry, it's embedded on the stock boards. But thanks for liking it!
Reply With Quote


  #10  
Old 04-08-2019, 08:26 PM
Corsair Dustin's Avatar
Corsair Dustin Corsair Dustin is offline
Corsair Employee
Corsair Dustin's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 4,100
POST ID # = 1000822
Corsair Dustin Reputation: 41
Default

The retail ASRock X299 ITX board WILL NOT FIT in the Corsair One chassis. We had to modify a daughterboard to ensure that it would work.

To be honest, if you want to go nuts with a Corsair One, your best bet is just to buy the i180 and manually upgrade the CPU to the i9-9980XE. We've actually validated and certified against that CPU. We won't warrant its operation or any damage you may incur by doing the swap, but it can be done and should work fine.

We also have a 64GB upgrade kit for the i180 en route. You can technically buy a 16GBx4 SODIMM kit and it should be fine, but the upgrade kit comes with specially selected ICs and heatspreading tape to guarantee stability.

As for the i140/i160, I don't know what you really gain from switching motherboards. Maybe another 100 or 200MHz turbo? Maybe? You can achieve similar results by manually undervolting the CPU, which could reduce noise in the process.
__________________
Corsair DIY & Gaming Systems Architect
Product Manager for Cooling


Please do not send private messages requesting tech support or trouble shooting. You can create a thread and let the solution to your issue be visible to everyone, or alternatively, work directly with tech support by contacting them here.
Reply With Quote


  #11  
Old 04-09-2019, 08:19 PM
Remorage Remorage is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 14
POST ID # = 1000971
Remorage Reputation: 10
Default

Hi Corsair Dustin! Thanks for the response, I thought that the X299 may have had a bit of extra love in it! As for the i160, for some reason I could not get mine to hold any kind of turbo at all. With factory settings it could boost to around 4.2 during testing and if I tried any kind of overclocking it would drop much lower. It may have been my lack of experience with MSI’s BIOS but after researching and testing for hours and having none of my friends have any luck, I decided to do the swap.
After the swap, even without changing any settings on the motherboard it would stay constant at 4.7 and I have got it running 5 without issues. It may have been me or it may have just had a bad board; but, since it wasn’t seeming to have a hardware issue, and since I come from building PCs, my solution to underperforming was “upgrade” lol. Seems to be fine now, performance is excellent, and the Bios won’t be an issue for the PC I put the board in!
Reply With Quote


  #12  
Old 04-11-2019, 06:09 PM
Corsair Dustin's Avatar
Corsair Dustin Corsair Dustin is offline
Corsair Employee
Corsair Dustin's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 4,100
POST ID # = 1001182
Corsair Dustin Reputation: 41
Default

So, the motherboard included is going to have limitations in place in BIOS in order to ensure surface components don't overheat.

I'll have to go back and play with the i160 some more to see if I can reproduce your issues. I'm working on having an overclocking-enabled BIOS for the i180 produced, if there are issues with the i140/i160's motherboard BIOS in terms of letting customers play with the settings and tweak their systems I'll want to make sure those issues are resolved.
__________________
Corsair DIY & Gaming Systems Architect
Product Manager for Cooling


Please do not send private messages requesting tech support or trouble shooting. You can create a thread and let the solution to your issue be visible to everyone, or alternatively, work directly with tech support by contacting them here.
Reply With Quote


  #13  
Old 04-11-2019, 11:15 PM
Remorage Remorage is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 14
POST ID # = 1001198
Remorage Reputation: 10
Default

Thanks for the information! I figured that was the case as the inspiration for the mod came from JayzTwoCents, when I noticed he was experiencing the same overclocking issues I was and the swap solved it for him as well.

In case you want more information, I was able to get it to overclock fine but as soon as I started any testing it would almost immediately drop and often to lower then if I had not touched the bios at all. (Which if you had pre-optimized the bios makes sense)

Unfortunately I did not save any of the settings I changed, as once I changed the motherboard I didn’t have to worry about it, so I don’t have anything to post as a reference.
Reply With Quote


  #14  
Old 04-12-2019, 04:52 AM
Etz's Avatar
Etz Etz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 21
POST ID # = 1001218
Etz Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsair Dustin View Post
I'll have to go back and play with the i160 some more to see if I can reproduce your issues. I'm working on having an overclocking-enabled BIOS for the i180 produced, if there are issues with the i140/i160's motherboard BIOS in terms of letting customers play with the settings and tweak their systems I'll want to make sure those issues are resolved.
I just received my i160 and I'm pretty good Systems builder and tweaker (in fact, it is the very first pre-built rig I ever bought during 25 years), so in case you would need any testing, I'm happy to help.

Also as I plan to squeeze out any drop of performance I can get from this lovely little box (of course, with safe temps and voltages, etc..). I will let you know if I will encounter any issues while trying to achieve that.
Reply With Quote


  #15  
Old 04-12-2019, 11:00 PM
Remorage Remorage is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 14
POST ID # = 1001286
Remorage Reputation: 10
Default

Welcome Etz! I didn’t think I would be purchasing a pre-built either until I fell in love with the original Corsair One. Luckily the revamp lined up perfectly with my planned room update so I bit the bullet. I don’t have nearly as much experience as you do, only 5 years since I started building and modding, so I’m excited to see your results!
Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.