Corsair Community

100i XT vs 115i XT

phil_w

Hi all - just after any real world opinions... I have a TR 3970X running on a 100i - but I also have a 115i sat here unboxed and before I start faffing about - will there be noticeable reduction in temp?

Current idle temp of about 48 deg C.

Cheers

You won't see a reduction at idle. Pretty much all coolers are the same with a nominal amount of watts to dissipate. Idle temp will be largely the result of the CPU type, power settings, and background activity/behavior.

At load, a 280mm does have some advantages over a 240. If you crank both sets of fans to maximum, the difference is usually 1-2C at most. However, the advantage of a 280mm is you can usually get away far less fan speed and still get the same results as a smaller cooler. For my Haswell-E CPUs, I could let the fan linger between 700-1100 rpm and never needed any more. You've got more than a few cores and a genuine high TDP on the CPU. You are likely to see more difference between cooler sizes than the average person. The best way to assess that would be to measure you coolant rise between idle and your peak load coolant temp for whatever you normally do. I can give you comparative values for 300W loads across a few sizes.