Corsair Community

Corsair RM550 cables smell horrible...??

tbessie

Hey folks...

After researching PSUs that didn't have any "coil whine", I decided to get the Corsair RM550.

I went to my local computer store and picked one up.

Today I opened up the box, and found that the cables smell very strongly - it's a very chemical/plastic/solvent kind of smell. I've never bought a piece of electronics that smelled so bad; I've definitely had electronics or other plastic items that smelled a little plastic-y, but this is kind of off-the-charts smelly.

Does anyone else have this model? Anyone ever notice this? It's a bit worrying, like they used cheap and/or substandard materials for the cables.

I cant honestly say I have ever heard anyone say that before. I' m not quite sure what to even suggest other than wiping them down,

I could try that. I'm putting them in the sun for awhile to see if they need "off-gassing" as some other materials do.

They seriously smell like a freshly-painted surface done with a really smelly kind of paint.

Someone mentioned that you can get replacement cables of better quality from Corsair - any idea where I might do that? The Parts section of the commercial website doesn't have replacement cables for this series, just AX and HX. Are they compatible?

- Tim

EDIT: Nevermind about the cable question - I was looking in PSU/Parts, not in PSU/Accessories. :-)

it works,i recently bought a lexus from storage that no one wanted because a 15 lb ham sat inside through out last summer,,3 days after and a few bottles of frebreeze and the smell is gone.

Well, a ham is a biological thing; plastic is not, so I'd think there'd be a difference there (and also, using chemicals on plastic electronics is something I'd rather not do).

We'll see how the sun treatment works by itself.

Also, I ended up buying the replacement cables (which cost more than the PSU itself, with shipping and taxes, heh). Since this is my main system and I've spared no expense, I don't mind the upgrade; got green ones so they stand out from the other cables in the case.

Hopefully THEY won't smell as well. :-/

- Tim

oh bull,you just wanted an excuse to have your wife let you get green cables

good one:D:;):

Were I married, that might be true, but I'm not and have no kids, so I get to spend all my money on me, whoop-whoop! :-)

In any case, the smell is real and pretty bad. Too bad this thing never took off, or I could share the experience:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISmell

Archived